Homebrew doom

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having some sound issues. If going to the pause menu and unpausing, every sound (not including music) plays a second time but more crackly. Eventually the first sound just stops playing. Is there a fix for this? I'm on a 9.9 O3DS using Ironhax with the updated boot.3dsx.
No that is an issue that needs to be resolved. The sound fx are mixed in software and played back in a single looping playback buffer. There are a couple issues. If the frame rate is too slow the mixing buffer gets behind. The second issue is that the synchronization timer drifts relative to the actually sound playback rate. There is currently no way to query the playback channel to verify position. The music is being played back in a separate thread and it mixes farther ahead as it does not need to constantly start and stop new fx. So it is less noticeable when it gets out of sync.

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
finally figured out why I could not install ironhax - I am a dumbass - I did not have the latest ninjhax. I updated to the latest version and installed ironhax. Also - prboom3ds sound works fine for me with ironhax. this is on a new 3ds xl with 9.9.0.26 U sysnand. no emunand.
Well, mine has no sound with the last version on O3DS 9.9.0-26U with leatest Ironhax. I just get sound with that old build with buggy sounds and unstable fps

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to be clear you are using the newest version from the n3ds branch correct?
Yes, this version: https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/blob/n3ds/prboom3ds.3dsx
And this is the one I can get sound: https://gbatemp.net/threads/doom.376939/#post-5227418

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just to be clear you are using the newest version from the n3ds branch correct?
Wait, you updated the github? I downloaded this like 4 days ago and the sound was not working at all, but I downloaded it now and it's working perfectly, wtf
I want to kiss you in a heterosexual way

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this version: https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/blob/n3ds/prboom3ds.3dsx
And this is the one I can get sound: https://gbatemp.net/threads/doom.376939/#post-5227418

Wait, you updated the github? I downloaded this like 4 days ago and the sound was not working at all, but I downloaded it now and it's working perfectly, wtf
No I did not update. The same version has been out there for four months. I just provided some clarification as to which version people should use.

Polkka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador

Wait, what? sound got fixed for me too! I think we were downloading the wrong version all this time?! whatever lol, thanks man.

rygar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Works very well on N3DS with Ironhax. Seems full frame rate on Ultimate Doom. Sound is really good too.

ManBLG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I fixed the no sound issue for me but i'm not exactly 100% sure which step did it though it's most likely .cfg file.

- Made Sure I had the latest boot.3dsx for ironhax
- Updated Ironhax with the new installer
- Noticed in the prboom folder under /3ds there was a .cfg file, I opened it and scrolled down to sound and saw that the first two entries had a -1, so I changed them to 1

Start up prboom and I FINALLY have sound. Note, i'm on a N3DS XL US 9.9

rygar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I fixed the no sound issue for me but i'm not exactly 100% sure which step did it though it's most likely .cfg file.

- Made Sure I had the latest boot.3dsx for ironhax
- Updated Ironhax with the new installer
- Noticed in the prboom folder under /3ds there was a .cfg file, I opened it and scrolled down to sound and saw that the first two entries had a -1, so I changed them to 1

Start up prboom and I FINALLY have sound. Note, i'm on a N3DS XL US 9.9
That cfg file issue could explain why updating to latest prboom may not have helped.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That cfg file issue could explain why updating to latest prboom may not have helped.
That would only be the case if you had gone into the menu and turned off sound. In which case you could go into the menu and turn it back on. It would require exiting the game for the change to take effect.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick Question. How do i compile?
Unless you made a change to the source code you do not need to compile. Download the .3dsx file from the first post in this thread. You will need a doom and/or doom2 wad file and the prboom.wad file to run it.

There are other threads on how to compile homebrew. You will need the devkitpro pro tool chains and the latest ctrulib.

GameFreakDude

More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also thought the .3dsx I had found on github was the latest version, but the github link FEAR_1337 just gave seems to give me a different file from what I had. The previous file I had was a bit smaller and had a CRC32 of 710a1826. This one does give sound, but the mixing issues CrystalForce mentioned make it unusable anyway. Additionally, there are some issues with music volume. When the music volume is set to the lowest setting on the slider, it can still be heard playing very quietly and in terrible quality. The application also seems to use the default music volume after starting up, even though the slider is correctly set to the value from the config file. Moving the slider at all makes it immediately use that value instead.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested it and it worked great. I even upped the number of channels to the 3DS's native amount and got into a big to test it. I didn't have any audio issues.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested it and it worked great. I even upped the number of channels to the 3DS's native amount and got into a big to test it. I didn't have any audio issues.
it would seem the sound timer is at a slightly different rate than the cpu timer - essentially the ticks_per_second value I was using was off by a little bit.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would seem the sound timer is at a slightly different rate than the cpu timer - essentially the ticks_per_second value I was using was off by a little bit.
That would make sense. That's the only issue I've run into while playing, besides the obvious performance issue. I'm actually having fun playing Doom on my 3DS, thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played