Homebrew doom

GameFreakDude

More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is the first thing I went to try out when tubehax was released, but unfortunately the only thing the .3dsx on git gets me on my regular NA 3DS is a black top screen and a red bottom screen. If someone with the know-how is willing to recompile this, I know at least I would be very grateful. (Unless I did something wrong, somehow, but I wouldn't know what. My understanding is that the prerequisites for this are simply to have prboom.wad from 2.5.0 and an IWAD in the root of the SD card.)

EDIT: I didn't notice that there was an updated boot.3dsx released a couple hours later. Using that seems to let prboom3ds boot up just fine. Sadly, there's no sound.

The 3D effect looks pretty good, but the game world rendering needs to be "pushed back" a lot. The weapon sprite is drawn at a farther depth than the terrain a lot of the time, which ideally shouldn't be able to happen. It's really difficult to look at when the weapon sprite impossibly appears farther away from you than the terrain does.
It's also really unfortunate that turning the 3D off seems to more than double the FPS, which doesn't make any sense. Ideally, the worst it should be able to do is halve the FPS.
I also wish the circle pad worked like a joystick instead of acting like keypresses. Makes it very difficult to control, in my opinion.
Regardless of all of this, I'm quite enjoying this port and am really impressed at how functional it already is. Excellent work!

Another edit: You might want to do something to keep the user from accidentally changing a setting (eg. bit depth) that makes it hang the next time it loads.

Last edited by GameFreakDude,

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the first thing I went to try out when tubehax was released, but unfortunately the only thing the .3dsx on git gets me on my regular NA 3DS is a black top screen and a red bottom screen. If someone with the know-how is willing to recompile this, I know at least I would be very grateful. (Unless I did something wrong, somehow, but I wouldn't know what. My understanding is that the prerequisites for this are simply to have prboom.wad from 2.5.0 and an IWAD in the root of the SD card.)

EDIT: I didn't notice that there was an updated boot.3dsx released a couple hours later. Using that seems to let prboom3ds boot up just fine. Sadly, there's no sound.

The 3D effect looks pretty good, but the game world rendering needs to be "pushed back" a lot. The weapon sprite is drawn at a farther depth than the terrain a lot of the time, which ideally shouldn't be able to happen. It's really difficult to look at when the weapon sprite impossibly appears farther away from you than the terrain does.
It's also really unfortunate that turning the 3D off seems to more than double the FPS, which doesn't make any sense. Ideally, the worst it should be able to do is halve the FPS.
I also wish the circle pad worked like a joystick instead of acting like keypresses. Makes it very difficult to control, in my opinion.
Regardless of all of this, I'm quite enjoying this port and am really impressed at how functional it already is. Excellent work!

Another edit: You might want to do something to keep the user from accidentally changing a setting (eg. bit depth) that makes it hang the next time it loads.
in regards to the frame rate you are neglecting to factor in waiting for vblank.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can pre-named saves transferred from pc actually be saved again and again on the 3ds? If so, maybe we can circumvent the save issue by supplying a blank save file with the binary, with a generic name (i.e. "File 1") I don't have pc doom.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can pre-named saves transferred from pc actually be saved again and again on the 3ds? If so, maybe we can circumvent the save issue by supplying a blank save file with the binary, with a generic name (i.e. "File 1") I don't have pc doom.
what issue are you trying to address? you can use the keyboard to name save files - so I am not quite sure what you are getting at.

GameFreakDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I try to load a save file made using PrBoom 2.5.0 on Windows in prboom3ds, the console says it's started the music, pauses for a bit, then prints "Corrupt savegame" twice and hangs. It has no issues saving over existing save files or creating new ones, so I don't think dummy save files need to be provided at all. It also has no issues loading its own save files.
If I try to load a savegame made using prboom3ds in PrBoom 2.5.0 on Windows, it spits out "P_UnArchiveThinkers: Unknown tclass 2 in savegame" and closes.

Dunno if you plan to work on this any more, but here are a couple more issues I've noticed:
  • A, B, Y, and Start cannot actually be rebound. A and Select both act as Enter in the key bindings menu, so trying to rebind A actually rebinds Select. In general, the way that buttons behave is counterintuitive. It'd be much simpler for the user to understand if they actually inputted the letters representing them.
  • When the "smooth demo playback" option is set to "no", the "default skill level" option is greyed out instead of the "smooth demo playback factor" option.
  • The gameworld isn't rendered in true widescreen. The statusbar is stretched horizontally to occupy that entire space. Weapon sprites also aren't drawn with aspect ratio correction (though that might look worse on the 3DS's low-resolution screen). The end result is that everything appears to be stretched horizontally (comparison).
  • When the screen size is small enough that the border is visible, and the automap is exited, the border isn't redrawn.
  • Weapon sprites are drawn too high. At screen sizes below maximum, the sprite is as visible as it should be when the screen size is at maximum. At maximum screen size, weapon sprites are drawn so high that there is space between them and the bottom of the screen.
  • Regardless of whether or not "uncapped framerate" is enabled, the FPS never goes above 30 when 3D is off, or 15 when 3D is on. It feels like it could run at 60 FPS if the way the rendering works was tweaked.
  • EDIT: The playsim might also behave differently on 3DS compared to PC. This is most easily noticed with the demo files desyncing on 3DS.
Out of curiosity, did you ever consider using PrBoom+ instead of PrBoom? (The latest release is actually far more recent than the DoomWiki page says.)

Last edited by GameFreakDude,

GameFreakDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's nothing to enable; sound just doesn't work with either tubehax or ironhax. Don't know if this will get fixed, as the author seems to be unable to get either exploit to work.

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing to enable; sound just doesn't work with either tubehax or ironhax. Don't know if this will get fixed, as the author seems to be unable to get either exploit to work.
Use the 2.0 boot.3dsx, the 2.1 one has issues with most homebrew.

Randomdude0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Holy ***! Didnt know this was a thing on 3ds, and I was here using doomds in my ds mode flashcard and stuff.

Isnt this moddable so we can use heretic or hexen wads. Using the 3ds d-pad would make it actually playable on it (for item usage and other stuff).

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to enable sound? I'm using Ironhax exploit to run it and doesn't give me any sound.
I am not sure what the issue is. I have not been able to get ironhax to run. I think me isp is high-jacking dns requests. I need to figure out how to turn this off.

the game world is rendered 400x240 without stretching. I did not look into the status bar just now, but I think the status bar may actually be sampled down rather than up. the view sprites are messed up - I did not put in a lot of effort there.

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am not sure what the issue is. I have not been able to get ironhax to run. I think me isp is high-jacking dns requests. I need to figure out how to turn this off.

the game world is rendered 400x240 without stretching. I did not look into the status bar just now, but I think the status bar may actually be sampled down rather than up. the view sprites are messed up - I did not put in a lot of effort there.
I was having the same problem, but I just give up and I installed Ironhax using my phone as a router. You can try changing the DNS and firewall options on your router menu, it worked for some people on Twitter.

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The keyboard is up by default. I am guessing you are using an old version.
Get the binary from the n3ds branch (it works on the o3ds too).
You can do a bigger keyboard with just numbers on the next version? That would be great for switch the weapons.

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The little box in the bottom right corner will toggle the keyboard to a numbers only mini keyboard - the buttons are the same size though.
Yes, that's why I asked for a bigger one, it's very difficult to press those tiny buttons when you have several enemies shooting at you hehehe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What's your thoughts?