Homebrew doom

Akdul

Trophies
Website
raulbojalil.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
So I take it the .3ds copy would be better than the .cia copy and would allow the C Nub?

Edit: Kind of a sound delay when Firing or opening a Door. Also, if you Press Down with the D Pad, you go to the Map and you can not get out of it

I changed the default key bindings for the Dpad now that the circle pad is mapped to movement. I also changed Start to Pause (to actually pause the game as the Escape Menu doesn't pause the game). The escape menu was moved to Select.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure if everyone has seen this already, but John Romero released some doom/doom2 source including early map versions.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/72509-more-goodies-from-romero-doomed-source-maps-graphics/

to try this with prboom3ds
download d2temp.zip from the link above (the second post has permanent links)
extract the files from the zip
put d2temp-cleansed.wad in the same directory as doom2.wad on your sd card
start prboom3ds
select doom2 on startup
enter menu and select Options->General
press right on the dpad to go to the second page
press down on the dpad to go to the WAD #1 slot and press the A button
enter: d2temp-cleansed.wad
press the A button to confirm the change
press the B button to exit the menu

go back into the menu and select quit (this will save the config file)
start prboom3ds again and select doom2 it will now use the d2temp-cleansed.wad pwad with all of the early map versions

to undo this follow the same instructions but clear out the WAD #1 slot

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How fesible would it be to move to HUD etc. to the lower screen like with the DS version so that more of the game can be displayed?

Reactions: Idaho

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It works somewhat decently if you set the 3D slider to somewhere in the middle. Things start to get weird if you put the slider on full but overall it's a nice effect.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the 3d effect?

Excited to try it out.
Truthfully the 3d effect is pretty much a hack. The levels look nice, but the sprites get a little iffy. Particularly when they get close as the sprite frame angles are different for the left and right eye. So you end up with a different sprite for each eye. But that mainly happens only when they are really close to the view point.

The current implementation runs the complete render from the left eye and right eye viewpoints. A proper 3d implementation would use a non symmetric view frustum. That would take a bit more effort - not sure how much effort that would take though.

Plus the menus and view sprite don't exactly work right with the 3d effect.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works somewhat decently if you set the 3D slider to somewhere in the middle. Things start to get weird if you put the slider on full but overall it's a nice effect.
Are you using the latest version? At one point I had an issue with the 3d separation getting reversed so I set the slider to from a left shift to a right shift with no separation in the middle somewhere. Newer versions have resolved this issue but the full separation can be a little much.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried the version with circle pad support, seems great. Tho once I brought the map up with the D-pad, maybe I'm stupid as shit, but I couldn't get it to go away again.

Also the sound effects, fine to start with, but after a while they went weird - would play normally, but play again slow and stuttery. This is the cia version on a New3DS, haven't tried the ninjhax version yet.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Tried the version with circle pad support, seems great. Tho once I brought the map up with the D-pad, maybe I'm stupid as shit, but I couldn't get it to go away again.

Also the sound effects, fine to start with, but after a while they went weird - would play normally, but play again slow and stuttery. This is the cia version on a New3DS, haven't tried the ninjhax version yet.

So wait, you're on a New 3DS, using a CIA, and have the C-stick working? What version of the Gateway launcher are you using?

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So guys? Is this ever going to support 3D and the n3DS?

Also, what about actually optimising the game by making use of the 2 screens just like DSDoom did?

Oh and a WAD selection menu could be nice too,...
tumblr_mvkwqzPCHX1smreryo1_1280.jpg

I'm just doing a few suggestions here, this port is a good initiative but in this form it's not enough to be enjoyable in my opinion,...

Last edited by Idaho,

Chrisser_75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So guys? Is this ever going to support 3D and the n3DS?

Also, what about actually optimising the game by making use of the 2 screens just like DSDoom did?

Oh and a WAD selection menu could be nice too,...

I'm just doing a few suggestions here, this port is a good initiative but in this form it's not enough to be enjoyable in my opinion,...

Where did you get this version? :) my 2nd screen only display a dump

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
This is fantastic. I love Doom, and this port is excellent. The 3D works really well and the game runs smoothly. I realise this is an early port, but I'l love to see the following to finish things off:
  • Move the HUD to the bottom screen so the top screen is filled by the game
  • Analogue stick support
  • On-screen keyboard for saving
Thank you @elhobbs for the port and @zoogie for uploading the build.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is fantastic. I love Doom, and this port is excellent. The 3D works really well and the game runs smoothly. I realise this is an early port, but I'l love to see the following to finish things off:
  • Move the HUD to the bottom screen so the top screen is filled by the game
  • Analogue stick support
  • On-screen keyboard for saving
Thank you @elhobbs for the port and @zoogie for uploading the build.
I haven't worked on this in a while, but I think the stick and nub are configurable in the controls menu. There is also a keyboard on the lower screen. You may need to use the n3ds branch. It works with n3ds and 3ds not sure about ninjhax 2.0 with firmware 9.0-9.2. I tried 9.5 and it it worked fine. Ninjhax 1 works fine.

https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/tree/n3ds?files=1

froggydarren

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow bit late to this party but is this still being worked on? Doom in 3d sounds epic and truth be told I rather enjoyed the old ds port even with its bugs lol..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters