Gaming < Don't know a flashcard from a fig newton..

Roussimoff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mellow.gif
wacko.gif
My buddy just informed me of these things this afternoon, and to be honest, I thought he was jerking me around. He sent me a link to some place called "Colour"-something, but I have NO idea WHAT to buy or do!! These are the things that I DO know, or have heard:

-This device allows you to 'burn' games onto a tiny chip via the PC?
-There are several differing devices
-I have heard 30+ SNES or GBA games per "tiny chip", but another guy told me a THOUSAND..??
-There are THREE essential parts: the "card" itself, the tiny chip thing that goes into the cart, a device for connecting that looks like a flash drive

My wife does all of the tech stuff, (IE: burns us movies and music and such..) so I'm sure that with thorough instruction and recommended products that SHE could figure it out. I AM a bit of a luddite, but good lord...my buddy said he learned how in TEN minutes and that now even his SEVEN year old son does his own ROMs!!

(

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi there. If you would like to purchase a GBA flashcart, I recommend realhotstuff.com. If you are looking for an NDS flashcart, I recommend simplymods.com (for cheaper prices).

Now, onto business.

Note: all of this is written using my extent of knowledge. I may be wrong. Please don't hate me.

ROMs
They are the essence of games. If run on the correct system in the correct way, they perform exactly how they were made to. These are obtained from cartridges through various methods, which are then usually uploaded to the internet to be illegally downloaded by millions.
The only legal way to have+use a ROM (via my knowledge) is if you make a backup yourself, and do NOT use it unless an accidental situation occurs that destroys the original. EG: You back it up using a computer device, and the original game is burned up in a fire. You are now supposedly allowed to use that single backup, as long as you don't give it away.

GameBoy Advance (Slot-2)

GBA "flashcarts" (essentially modified cartridges) originally were designed with strict memory limitations. I recently bought one with 64 Mb (16 MB) of memory, which would only hold about 4 small games. These types use a cable to write data on. This is called "flashing". Newer versions of GBA flashcarts can take SD cards of various sizes, thus breaking the memory limitation to a certain extent. Even newer versions can only be used in conjunction with a NDS flashcart.

Nintendo DS (Slot-1)

The first NDS flashcarts actually were GBA flashcarts, used in conjunction with a Slot-1 device referred to as a PassMe, which allowed you to run NDS ROMs from the GBA slot.
Later versions, however, came, many of which take SD cards of various sizes to perform like a GBA flashcart did. They now have GBA flashcarts that, when used in conjunction with the Slot-1, allow you to send the game from Slot-1 to Slot-2, allowing for more memory, meaning more games.

The "cartridge crash"

This, in theory, could never happen. The games are originally obtained from the cartridges. If they didn't develop cartridges, we couldn't get the ROMs, meaning the entire game market would crash entirely. The most developers can do now is develop consoles that are more "hack-proof", and develop better anti-piracy methods, like the one in Heart Gold and Soul Silver that has offset many flashcart users.

If you don't understand any of this, please, PM me. I can try to elaborate further.

Roussimoff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you thank you!
grog.gif

And yes, as far as "chip" I think I do mean that. The "SD/Micro chip" is the tiny guy that goes INTO the flashcard...the little piece that holds the games, right? Speaking of which, how STURDY is all of this? I mean to say, that "SD" chip looks awfully TEENY....are they prone to snapping apart or wearing down?

So then, from the helpful information I have gathered I have established:

1.) There are in fact THREE needed parts for this procedure: Flashcard, Micro/SD chip, and then the USB thing that the card rides in to go in the back of the computer...have I missed any basics?

2.) There are numerous cards/chips from numerous manufacturers.

Any varying opinions as to just WHICH parts to get and from WHERE specifically? My buddy told me that for me to be up and running would cost $20~$30 for the parts. I have two DS systems on the way, both should arrive this week, so I'll need to know how this all works fairly soon. (As I mentioned, my wife will be doing all of said "ROM plucking", "dumping", "loading", and any other oddly suggestive sounding procedure involving the PC.)
wtf.gif

The help from everyone thus far has been GREAT, but I still am very much in the dark. Please explain this procedure to me as you would a child - - as far as computers, I know how to turn it on and surf the net, thats about IT. (If I accidentally hit a key or 'lock' something I have to call her at work..lol..)

Thanks so much again!
bow.gif

A.R.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I shall give this a try...

Each flashcart you purchase will be made by a different company/team, Therefore they will all need different firmware. By firmware i mean sorta like Software that must also be put onto the MicroSD or "chip that goes inside the flashcart". This is what enables it to play the said ROMS.
Most flashcarts will have a website on the actual cart itself to show you what firmware/software you will need on the cart. Usually there will be instructions on how to put the said firmware/software onto the cart.

What you said is correct, you need a Flashcart, a MicroSD Perhaps around 4GB's in size, and a USB to Micro SD adapter (thats the thing you put the MircoSD into to plug it into the computer.

so once you download the correct firmware you need to put it onto your MicroSD card, which you will do through the USB to MicroSD adapter.

it most cases it will be in a folder called "SYSTEM" So you can just put the system file onto the root of your MicroSD card.

Once you have done this, take the MicroSD out of the adapter and put it into the flashcart, But this now into your DS as you would a normal DS game cartridge.
If you have done it properly, the card should boot up and you can select it, with some firmwares or carts it may require a quick set up which is nothing hard so you should be fine.

The Next Step is to put the ROMS onto your MicroSD card.
So once the Flashcart is successfully working and tested, Remove the MicroSD card out of the Flashcart and back into the USB adapter, a prompt should pop up, you want to select the option "View in a folder" or something similar. Here you should see the System folder, OR the Firmware you placed on there earlier, Now you need to find yourself a Romsite, this is a website where you can download your roms from to put onto your microSD to play.

Gbatemp.net does not allow the naming of Romsites on the forum so i cannot tell you where to go for these, Maybe if you look around the site thats on your flashcart they will direct you in the right place.
So you will have to try locate these on yourself.

Once downloaded you can put them onto your MicroSD you shouldnt have to put them into a file, unless you want to create one. just put the straight in underneath the system file. From some sites you have to Extract them first, this may also be the same for the firmware you download.
Your wife should know what i mean when i say Extract, if not feel free to ask.

Once the Extracted Game is on your MicroSD, you can remove it from the computer and put it back into your Flashcart, which then goes into your DS, Turn on your DS, and let the card boot and you should see the game you placed on there, Press A and the game should start.

Wa la.
That is how to step up your Flashcart.

Dictionary:
ROM = That is the actual Game for the Flashcart.
Root = Its like the VERY first thing on your mircoSD, I.E not opening any files or folders
Boot = Turn on, Start up

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
Roussimoff said:
Thank you thank you!
grog.gif

And yes, as far as "chip" I think I do mean that. The "SD/Micro chip" is the tiny guy that goes INTO the flashcard...the little piece that holds the games, right? Speaking of which, how STURDY is all of this? I mean to say, that "SD" chip looks awfully TEENY....are they prone to snapping apart or wearing down?

So then, from the helpful information I have gathered I have established:

1.) There are in fact THREE needed parts for this procedure: Flashcard, Micro/SD chip, and then the USB thing that the card rides in to go in the back of the computer...have I missed any basics?

2.) There are numerous cards/chips from numerous manufacturers.

Any varying opinions as to just WHICH parts to get and from WHERE specifically? My buddy told me that for me to be up and running would cost $20~$30 for the parts. I have two DS systems on the way, both should arrive this week, so I'll need to know how this all works fairly soon. (As I mentioned, my wife will be doing all of said "ROM plucking", "dumping", "loading", and any other oddly suggestive sounding procedure involving the PC.)
wtf.gif

The help from everyone thus far has been GREAT, but I still am very much in the dark. Please explain this procedure to me as you would a child - - as far as computers, I know how to turn it on and surf the net, thats about IT. (If I accidentally hit a key or 'lock' something I have to call her at work..lol..)

Thanks so much again!
bow.gif

A.R.
micro SDs don't usually snap or wear down.

Which DS systems are you gettting e.g. DS lite, DS(aka DS Phat), DSi?

Also do NOT buy a flashcart that has R4 in its name.

Roussimoff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing marked "R4"....got it. I'm gonna have a go at this in the next week or so. I really appreciate all of the help thus far, any more would be great as well!
smile.gif

So lets here it, favorite products and places to order them? All opinions are appreciated!
smile.gif

As to WHICH DS I'm getting, I dont know! lol I know that is't black(ish) in color and that its NOT a "fat". (I dont THINK it is anyhow..lol..it will be here via FedEx in the next day or two, so..) I was also offered another DS in a swap, so I'll probably end up with two models in the end.

Thanks guys and girls!
smile.gif

A.R.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
epicCreations.org said:
Hi there. If you would like to purchase a GBA flashcart, I recommend realhotstuff.com. If you are looking for an NDS flashcart, I recommend simplymods.com (for cheaper prices).

Now, onto business.

Note: all of this is written using my extent of knowledge. I may be wrong. Please don't hate me.

ROMs
They are the essence of games. If run on the correct system in the correct way, they perform exactly how they were made to. These are obtained from cartridges through various methods, which are then usually uploaded to the internet to be illegally downloaded by millions.
The only legal way to have+use a ROM (via my knowledge) is if you make a backup yourself, and do NOT use it unless an accidental situation occurs that destroys the original. EG: You back it up using a computer device, and the original game is burned up in a fire. You are now supposedly allowed to use that single backup, as long as you don't give it away.

GameBoy Advance (Slot-2)

GBA "flashcarts" (essentially modified cartridges) originally were designed with strict memory limitations. I recently bought one with 64 Mb (16 MB) of memory, which would only hold about 4 small games. These types use a cable to write data on. This is called "flashing". Newer versions of GBA flashcarts can take SD cards of various sizes, thus breaking the memory limitation to a certain extent. Even newer versions can only be used in conjunction with a NDS flashcart.

Nintendo DS (Slot-1)

The first NDS flashcarts actually were GBA flashcarts, used in conjunction with a Slot-1 device referred to as a PassMe, which allowed you to run NDS ROMs from the GBA slot.
Later versions, however, came, many of which take SD cards of various sizes to perform like a GBA flashcart did. They now have GBA flashcarts that, when used in conjunction with the Slot-1, allow you to send the game from Slot-1 to Slot-2, allowing for more memory, meaning more games.

The "cartridge crash"

This, in theory, could never happen. The games are originally obtained from the cartridges. If they didn't develop cartridges, we couldn't get the ROMs, meaning the entire game market would crash entirely. The most developers can do now is develop consoles that are more "hack-proof", and develop better anti-piracy methods, like the one in Heart Gold and Soul Silver that has offset many flashcart users.

If you don't understand any of this, please, PM me. I can try to elaborate further.

Actually from what I've read from Nintendo's official site, if your original copy is destroyed then you must destroy the other copy as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol