Does Wii Backup Loader Harm Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fairuza, Feb 10, 2009.

Feb 10, 2009
  1. fairuza
    OP

Newcomer fairuza Member

United States
    The sticky says:
    Q: Does the Gamma loader hurt my drive?
    A: No it doesnt in any way - thats an unfounded and untrue rumour started by people who dont want you using software to play backups.

Yet I have read serveral posts on this very forum where people mention that after using the backup loader enough that their Wii can no longer read discs. And no one else disputes it and just acts like that is a known fact.

So which is it? Can the WiiGator Backup Loader v0.3 ruin the Wii's hardware or not?

2. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    short answer: no
    long answer: no it can't, most ppl who have a modded or soft modded wii play more games (illegal/legal copies, dvd's with Roms for emu's, or otherwise) thus, the wii laser's life is not what a normal user would get out of it.
    also some wii just have a defective laser that would eventually quit anyway.

3. BMasterP

Member BMasterP GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Indeed, even the best dvd-r out there has a Reflexion rate(dunno if i say it correctly) thats not even 30% of that of an original pressed disc. So the thing that will happen is cose of all the hard work it has to do to read the burned dvd the laser will RETIRE early

4. gibberish

Member gibberish GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    you cant make a laser work any "harder" without physically taking out the drive and altering it mechanically. the laser works as it was programmed to, whether its reading a pressed disc or a burned one.

5. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No offense, but if you'd read several threads here why start another? No the backup loader doesn't hurt. End of story

6. BMasterP

Netherlands

I know, but in the old days(LOL the ps1 and xbox erea) i'm pretty sure i read this somewhere(cdfreaks forum) and eventhough What you say is correct, it still has something to do with the laser tirering out earlyer, but of course Nothing to do with softmods of hardware mods

7. WalkerOfTheDay

Member WalkerOfTheDay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    And even if it would wear down faster ? Like in 4 years apposed to say 7 ?? With the money you saved by pirating you can easily buy a new one, or get your old one repaired IMO...

8. BMasterP

Netherlands
    [/quote]
    And even if it would wear down faster ? Like in 4 years apposed to say 7 ?? With the money you saved by pirating you can easily buy a new one, or get your old one repaired IMO...
    [/quote]

jups thats how i think of it.

9. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i agree too.
    you can get a new/refurbished disk drive(D2B or D2C) at DX for right under $60 usd.
    the also sell just the laser it's self for those that are handy at soldering.