Does the PSP gets a lot of shovelware like the DS?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Extreme Coder, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Just wondering.
    When I look at the new releases on the front page, I can only say pitiful and pathetic.
    I don't know much about the PSP (except that it has two games I want to play:Joan of Arc, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII), so I was just wondering if the PSP suffers from the same amount of shovelware the DS seems to be getting lately.

Ahmad Yasser

2. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

In my opinion, although the DS has more shovelware than the PSP, it has more good games as well. This is, of course, if you're choosing between the two. If you already own a DS, by all means go for it.

3. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I already have a DS [​IMG] So I already know the great DS games [​IMG]

But I may be getting something else soon, and I thought of getting a PSP. It may not be that bad.

4. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    A PSP is certainly worth every penny, if you mod it to have CFW, that is.

Just consider this... practically every console from the PS1 and backwards can be played on a PSP (not to mention GBA, GBC...). You also have an immense choice of revolutionary homebrew at your fingertips. Then pile on some noteworthy original PSP titles and the media ready features of the PSP...

At $150-$200, it's definitely a steal.

(BTW, Crisis Core isn't out in an English language yet, hopefully it'll get announced sometime soon... [​IMG])

5. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    Thanks for your opinion [M]artin!

Oww.. That sucks [​IMG] I sure hope they do announce it sometime, and not bury it there in Japan.. :/

6. anime_junkie

Member anime_junkie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They'd be crazy not to release it, because that baby would sell.

And PSPs are great. I'm lucky, as I got one for VERY little cash (20 bucks, don't ask, long story), but I'd say it's worth it even at retail price. The emulation support is great, and PS1 games on the go is amazing. And the PSP has some great games, like Jeanne d'Arc and Lumines.

7. Wanted

Member Wanted GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I have a modded PSP and DS and I have to say they both have a lot of stuff I don't care about. The PSP's saving grace is emulating the PSX games on it with custom firmware so you don't find yourself with no games to play as much. [​IMG]

8. PuyoDead

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    I also have a DS with a flashcart (both slots), and a PSP with CFW. Both systems have their share of crap, it's just the DS is on a more grand scale. It has more crap games, but more good games as well. And honestly, I'd say the PSP's good games just aren't quite as good.

I'd say I spend about 85% of my time on my PSP with homebrew. Be it emulators, or homebrew games/applications. On the flipside, I spend about 80% of my time with my DS playing retail games.

So, even though the DS has more garbage than the PSP, I feel the good DS games are far better and more worth the time. But that's not to say the PSP isn't worth it. It's just that the PSP is better as a "multi-use" system. That is, to use it for emulation and such.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    well since buying my psp slim recently, my DS lite has started to get some cobwebs, lol there is no real good ds game coming out for a while so maybe thats why i am playing on my psp more.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Been playing my PSP a bit more lately, catching up on stuff I missed when the DS was busy.

It doesn't seem to get as much shovelware as theres usually only one or two games released a week.

Oh yeah Crisis Core is out 25th March but to be honest I'm looking forward to Patapon and God of War more.

11. skarthebloodchild

Member skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Greece
    My psp is gathering dust lately.
    I started Patapon and Castlevania but never finished 'em.
    I am waiting for ff:dissidia & crisis core and god of war.

12. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Ack, Hadrian is right again! I wasn't keepin' up with the news... [​IMG]

Can't wait! [​IMG]

13. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    PSP has a lot more processing power than DS, and its discs can hold over 4 times even Nintendo's new 256MB cards. So games on it tend to be more console-style in gameplay.

Burnout Legends is the shining example of a game far superior on PSP. That version has like double the average score on Gamerankings than its DS relative.

Other games are also better for PSP to some degree. Such as WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008.

Not to mention... The wider variety. PSP tends to have more and higher quality sports or driving-oriented titles. There's still no GTA on DS for example, yet PSP had one within a year. PSP's first boxing game (Fight Night Round 3) beats out the DSI-published junk that DS got.

14. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    it's funny you have said that as i enjoyed the ds version of legends, but i am enjoying legends on the psp even more, it's no longer a eyesore graphical wise lol