Gaming Does the PSP gets a lot of shovelware like the DS?

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Just wondering.
When I look at the new releases on the front page, I can only say pitiful and pathetic.
I don't know much about the PSP (except that it has two games I want to play:Joan of Arc, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII), so I was just wondering if the PSP suffers from the same amount of shovelware the DS seems to be getting lately.

Ahmad Yasser

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, although the DS has more shovelware than the PSP, it has more good games as well. This is, of course, if you're choosing between the two. If you already own a DS, by all means go for it.

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I already have a DS
wink.gif
So I already know the great DS games
smile.gif

But I may be getting something else soon, and I thought of getting a PSP. It may not be that bad.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A PSP is certainly worth every penny, if you mod it to have CFW, that is.

Just consider this... practically every console from the PS1 and backwards can be played on a PSP (not to mention GBA, GBC...). You also have an immense choice of revolutionary homebrew at your fingertips. Then pile on some noteworthy original PSP titles and the media ready features of the PSP...

At $150-$200, it's definitely a steal.

(BTW, Crisis Core isn't out in an English language yet, hopefully it'll get announced sometime soon...
wink.gif
)

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
(BTW, Crisis Core isn't out in an English language yet, hopefully it'll get announced sometime soon...
wink.gif
)

They'd be crazy not to release it, because that baby would sell.

And PSPs are great. I'm lucky, as I got one for VERY little cash (20 bucks, don't ask, long story), but I'd say it's worth it even at retail price. The emulation support is great, and PS1 games on the go is amazing. And the PSP has some great games, like Jeanne d'Arc and Lumines.

Wanted

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have a modded PSP and DS and I have to say they both have a lot of stuff I don't care about. The PSP's saving grace is emulating the PSX games on it with custom firmware so you don't find yourself with no games to play as much.
lecture.gif

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
I also have a DS with a flashcart (both slots), and a PSP with CFW. Both systems have their share of crap, it's just the DS is on a more grand scale. It has more crap games, but more good games as well. And honestly, I'd say the PSP's good games just aren't quite as good.

I'd say I spend about 85% of my time on my PSP with homebrew. Be it emulators, or homebrew games/applications. On the flipside, I spend about 80% of my time with my DS playing retail games.

So, even though the DS has more garbage than the PSP, I feel the good DS games are far better and more worth the time. But that's not to say the PSP isn't worth it. It's just that the PSP is better as a "multi-use" system. That is, to use it for emulation and such.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
well since buying my psp slim recently, my DS lite has started to get some cobwebs, lol there is no real good ds game coming out for a while so maybe thats why i am playing on my psp more.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been playing my PSP a bit more lately, catching up on stuff I missed when the DS was busy.

It doesn't seem to get as much shovelware as theres usually only one or two games released a week.

Oh yeah Crisis Core is out 25th March but to be honest I'm looking forward to Patapon and God of War more.

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My psp is gathering dust lately.
I started Patapon and Castlevania but never finished 'em.
I am waiting for ff:dissidia & crisis core and god of war.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ack, Hadrian is right again! I wasn't keepin' up with the news...
frown.gif

QUOTE(http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2007/12/17-24) said:
CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII-
Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd.
Publisher: Square Enix, Inc.
Platform: PSP system
Genre: Action-RPG
ESRB: T (Teen)
Ship Date: March 25, 2008

CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII-, the highly anticipated entry in the COMPILATION of FINAL FANTASY VII, takes fans on an exciting journey through the origin of the internationally acclaimed FINAL FANTASY VII saga in an all- new action-packed experience. Developed exclusively for the PSP system, CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII- marks the return of the celebrated characters and game world that mesmerized more than 9.8 million gamers around the globe. With inspiring visuals, full 16:9 widescreen presentation and an engaging battle system, fans and newcomers alike can experience the world of FINAL FANTASY VII from an all-new perspective.

The official website can be found at http://na.square-enix.com/crisiscore

Can't wait!
happy.gif

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
PSP has a lot more processing power than DS, and its discs can hold over 4 times even Nintendo's new 256MB cards. So games on it tend to be more console-style in gameplay.

Burnout Legends is the shining example of a game far superior on PSP. That version has like double the average score on Gamerankings than its DS relative.

Other games are also better for PSP to some degree. Such as WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008.

Not to mention... The wider variety. PSP tends to have more and higher quality sports or driving-oriented titles. There's still no GTA on DS for example, yet PSP had one within a year. PSP's first boxing game (Fight Night Round 3) beats out the DSI-published junk that DS got.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap.