Hacking Does the DSi have hardware problems?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the DSi have hardware problems like the DS lite did? Like the L and R buttons do they ever stop working like the DS lites did. Does the Touch Screen get inaccurate like the DS lites did?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't really know about the touchscreen, but I've definitely heard complaints of the L & R buttons failing. I can only assume the touchscreen can malfunction just like regular DS's too.

One issue I've heard about with DSi's is that if they lock up on you, sometimes you can't turn the unit off and you have to either remove the battery, or let the battery run completely down to the point where the DSi turns off to reset it. That's one benefit of a DSlite, a physical on/off switch, and not just a button that relies on the system's OS NOT being locked up to function.

punkyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I had a hardware problems w/ the L button.
Got it wet. (stupid wet hands
rofl2.gif
)
L button worked.
Volume button did not work.
Got it checked.
No replacement for the volume button. (but the tech said that the ribbon that is connected to the L,R, and volume button had the problem
wacko.gif
)
Cannot get it repaired and did not use it for about 5 months.
Sold my DSi for a very cheap price. (and now buying a PSP God of War Ed.)
hate2.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had about 6 DS lites already and all of them had Touchscreen problems. I really don't want to buy a DSI and then the Touchscreen will break... I fixed my DS lites Touch screen I bought a new one from DX and Thieves Like Us replaced it for me and now it worked for 2 months and now the new Touch screen has problems again...

punkyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
jakob95 said:
I had about 6 DS lites already and all of them had Touchscreen problems. I really don't want to buy a DSI and then the Touchscreen will break... I fixed my DS lites Touch screen I bought a new one from DX and Thieves Like Us replaced it for me and now it worked for 2 months and now the new Touch screen has problems again...
Conclusion: Buy a PSP
rofl2.gif

just kidding. I also had some bad times with my DSL before I got the DSi. (and it's the same freaking L button problem)
Some kind of Nintendo Marketing: Buy Nintendo products, break it, buy again, break again...
frown.gif

I still like the DSi/DSL... It's just their weak hardware that irritates me.
dry.gif

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i've got no problems with the dsi so far, it has only frozen once and the power button still worked. It is not well put together though, the side of the volume control squeecs when you push on it and the buttons are very loose. Also the battery cover was loose when I first started it up.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really happy with Sony products they are built so good. I had my PSP for 4 years already it, it might have some scratches on the screen minor though but it still works perfectly and makes games playable and enjoyable. I am really unhappy with Nintendo's products as they always break unless its a Console.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jakob95 said:
I am really happy with Sony products they are built so good. I had my PSP for 4 years already it, it might have some scratches on the screen minor though but it still works perfectly and makes games playable and enjoyable. I am really unhappy with Nintendo's products as they always break unless its a Console.

I bought a PSP in 2007 and a few months later the Wi-Fi card broke in it (it was a PSP 1000). Not all of their is perfect. Wi-Fi cards have huge issues with the PSP from what I've seen and will sometimes stop working. My original PS1 spindle hub completely snapped (the system was modded by my uncle so I could play imports) so now I can't play my imports. My DS Phat worked fine until sleep mode decided to break. The only thing I'm unhappy about with my DSi (besides the fact that my 24 year old step-sister has added minor scratches on it by her refusal to use a stylus. Only someone with a magnifying glass or OCD can see the scratches
tongue.gif
) is the fact that my casing for the DSi seems to be halfway on on one side, but all the way on on the other. It's not straight, like someone tried to take apart the system, but failed to get it back in all the way when they put it back together. I have OCD so things like that bug me
biggrin.gif

djfrantic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had my dsi since may last year, and it's been working perfectly fine. I never press reallyhard on the touch screen and I'm pretty gentle, no problems. I'm pretty sure it's a mixture of how you treat it and maybe nintendo is just not as durable.

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Don't really know about the touchscreen, but I've definitely heard complaints of the L & R buttons failing. I can only assume the touchscreen can malfunction just like regular DS's too.

One issue I've heard about with DSi's is that if they lock up on you, sometimes you can't turn the unit off and you have to either remove the battery, or let the battery run completely down to the point where the DSi turns off to reset it. That's one benefit of a DSlite, a physical on/off switch, and not just a button that relies on the system's OS NOT being locked up to function.

I've never heard of a DSi locking, and not letting the power button turn off...
Anyways, the L button failed for me. L because I use it in a lot of games? Or just messed up some how.

D

Deleted_171835

The 'L/R' buttons. I had to send one in to Nintendo because of that.

It isn't as bad as the 'DS Lite', though. I had a lot of problems with the DS Lite.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:

It isn't as bad as the 'DS Lite', though. I had a lot of problems with the DS Lite.

Did you have to pay out of pocket for the L/R buttons and could you tell if it was a new system or did they simply fix the problem? Just curious.

D

Deleted_171835

Aeladya said:
Revolutionize said:

Did you have to pay out of pocket for the L/R buttons and could you tell if it was a new system or did they simply fix the problem? Just curious.

Nintendo replaced it for free.

It was covered in the one year warranty. They could tell it was a new system by the serial number.

QUOTE(jakob95 @ Jan 16 2010, 12:53 AM)
What about the hinge?
Nope.

I never had a problem with the hinge. The DS Lite on the other hand....

Algot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have one DS Lite since relese and one DSi since Relese. my girl had a DS Lite and sold it to her friend and got a pink DSLite (the other one was black) and all four systems still working without anny problem...

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
Aeladya said:
Revolutionize said:

It was covered in the one year warranty. They could tell it was a new system by the serial number.

What about the hinge?
Nope.

They generally try to give you the same color right? Say my DSi is having the same issues and it's Pink and I send it in. I won't end up with a white one right? It's not broken, but I wanted to make sure just in case something does happen. I love the color for mine, the pink is dark enough not to make my eyes hurt.

D

Deleted_171835

Aeladya said:
Revolutionize said:
Aeladya said:
Revolutionize said:

What about the hinge?
Nope.

They generally try to give you the same color right? Say my DSi is having the same issues and it's Pink and I send it in. I won't end up with a white one right? It's not broken, but I wanted to make sure just in case something does happen. I love the color for mine, the pink is dark enough not to make my eyes hurt.
Yep.

I sent in my 'Black' DSi and got a 'Black' one back..

---

@jakob95:

I never had a problem with the touchscreen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...