Hacking Does the Acekard still come with the usb adapters?

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to buy an acekard from leetmod.com. I can get one for 29 dollars with a Sandisk 4 gig. But if it doesn't come with a usb adapter for micro sd cards, I might as well get the kingston 2 gig and use the extra money on my gift card for and adapter. I only have 29 dollars on the card.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't the adapters that come with the cards usually crap anyway? I'd spend a little money on a reliable one now, and you can always buy a larger memory card later. They're just gonna get cheaper over time anyway.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SD cards come with adapaters anyway, at least mine did. A little keychain one so I can stop forgetting to pack one in my bag.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idunnoilikends said:
but the one from dx its 13 with adapter

You have to pay through pay pal and pay pal doesn't work with gift cards.

QUOTE(dib @ Nov 30 2008, 08:37 PM) SD cards come with adapaters anyway, at least mine did. A little keychain one so I can stop forgetting to pack one in my bag.

I'm buying it in a bundle with the acekard, unless the site packs them separately.

Oh, and while you guys are here, do you guys know if leetmod is a reliable place to order from because I have to use a direct transaction for the gift card

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2.1 cards in boxes don't come with them. Stuffs4kids throws one in with them anyway, some "no brand name printed on the device" type which probably cost them a quarter when bought in bulk. I tried it, it works, but inserting the Micro SD is a chore. I'll stick with my Digital Concepts SD reader as I have a Micro->standard SD adaptor.

Askepios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered an Acekard from Leetmod myself. I can't answer your reliability question for sure, but payment went fine and the item was shipped a while ago, so everything is fine up to that point. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment on much else.

Anyway, I don't think the Acekard comes with a USB adapter. Dealextreme includes one, but that's just their own crappy OEM reader, to my knowledge. I'd suggest ordering the Acekard from Leetmod, then getting memory and an adapter somewhere else. That's what I did. I ordered a 4GB Kingston card with reader from Newegg, and it was still cheaper than I'd have managed anywhere else.

I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6820134720]this, but the price was raised in the past few days, and it's sold out now anyway. There are still plenty of good deals there, though.

If you're ordering from Leetmod, that's pretty much your only choice, it seems. There's no way to get a card reader separately, and only a few of the flashcarts they sell include them. I'm surprised they don't offer one as an add-on like they do with MicroSD cards. Oh well, easier to get a better one from a reliable place anyway.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question, how much does the typical usb apapter cost?

Edit:

Ah darnit, big roadblock. Paypal is the only way to pay for the order, and paypal can't use gift cards. I need a way to buy this WITHOUT paypal. Ahh man. I was so hype too.

Askepios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big Green said:
Another question, how much does the typical usb apapter cost?

Edit:

Ah darnit, big roadblock. Paypal is the only way to pay for the order, and paypal can't use gift cards. I need a way to buy this WITHOUT paypal. Ahh man. I was so hype too.

Depends where you're buying from. In most cases, you're best off buying a reader and MicroSD together, just because buying a reader alone will double your price in shipping costs. Either way, they're usually pretty cheap.

Here's another option. Decent prices, and more importantly, they include OEM card readers with their products. You can add a MicroSD card, too. So you should be able to get everything there. You might be stuck with a 1GB MicroSD, but you should be able to stay under $29 after shipping. Probably the best deal I've seen next to Dealextreme and Leetmod.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll have to rock with that.(Unless there is a different lower priced card or site I could use) I'll have to try to decide between certain things I won't use with the small memory, but I'll probably save up for a bigger SD card later. Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

I just saw the good deal on the DSTT, but I don't want to get a fake. I also see the deal with R4DS SDHC edition and the i touch.

I don't think that the R4 is worth it, but maybe I could use an itouch? I'll need something that can run old school emulators, current games and music. Maybe videos and pics. Which should I get. I read the reviews, but I'm still not sure.

I also hear that the DSTT is cheaply made so I'm not sure.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dont go with anything related with r4, r4 arent made anymore because they suck and are outdated, any r4 you see is a fake or clone, itouch isnt any better, acekard 2 is a smart choice, so would going with dealextreme be, and newegg for memory cards. if youre going with dstt, careful where you buy, possible fakes

Askepios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big Green said:
I just saw the good deal on the DSTT, but I don't want to get a fake. I also see the deal with R4DS SDHC edition and the i touch.

I don't think that the R4 is worth it, but maybe I could use an itouch? I'll need something that can run old school emulators, current games and music. Maybe videos and pics. Which should I get. I read the reviews, but I'm still not sure.

For the relatively small price difference between the DSTT and Acekard, I'd definitely go with the Acekard. It's said to be a pretty obvious budget card. And then there's the risk of fakes, too. And like you said, it's cheaply made, too. Not to the point where it'll just fall apart, but it isn't known to be particularly sturdy. In general, the Acekard is just a better card. For the extra $5, I'd go with that.

Buying an R4 would be a waste for the reasons DaMummy mentioned. The original R4 is out of production, and the clones will never get the kind of true updates you'd want. It's simply outdated now.

The iTouch looks nice, and that was one of my choices before eventually going with the Acekard. The hook there was the ability to dual-boot the iTouch firmware with the M3 Sakura firmware. But after reading on it a bit, that's pretty much the only special thing about it.

Most anything you pick will be able to do the stuff you mentioned (except the R4, because it sucks), so it really just comes down to personal preference. The thing about the Acekard is that it's generally accepted as a higher-end card at a budget price. With that, it seems like an obvious buy to me. Any card can play games and run homebrew apps, but you never know when you might want some of the special features certain cards offer. Makes sense to go with the best one in your price range.

I'd say to stick with the Acekard, but that's just my opinion. I bought before doing enough reading, and I could have easily made the wrong choice. I was almost considering the R4, even. I was considering the DSTT more seriously, though. And after buying, everything I saw said that the Acekard is better, and it's basically the card to get on a budget. Luckily, that's what I went with anyway, but I'd have hated myself for a while if I ended up going with something else.

But as long as stuff like that doesn't matter to you, you're safe with most anything. They all do basic stuff. The R4 won't play some recent games without some work because it sucks, but nobody cares about it anyway. The others you mentioned will do what you want without a problem. My main worry about the DSTT would be the risk of getting a fake. No particular worries about the iTouch, but it just doesn't sound like a special card. They're all good, just research which fits you best.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skyman747 said:
Giftcards don't work with Paypal? Then how did I use mine through paypal?

They do? I tried to use my Chase gift card to get an Edge and a 4 Gig Kingston from dealextreme, but it was declined. Then I called paypal and the lady said that hey couldn't verify the giftcard so giftcards weren't usable. She said that I needed a regular credit card or debit. I registered my card after the conversation though. Maybe it's because I didn't register it? If that's the case I'll just try again. I don't want to try to much though, because the first time Paypal took 1 dollar(They say that they are going to put it back and that it should appear in a day or so) Even though it's just a dollar, It makes a big difference because that one dollar could decide between me getting what I want or not.

What did you do to use your card?

Also, should I get Edge with 4 gig card or Ace with 4 gig and save some extra money to get something else?

Askepios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big Green said:
Also, should I get Edge with 4 gig card or Ace with 4 gig and save some extra money to get something else?

I don't know a whole lot about the Edge, but it seems like a pretty nice card. I've heard that it's something of a Cyclo clone, which considering the hype around the Cyclo, is a good thing. I don't know about support for it and such, though. It's supposed to be good, but the price turned me away.

Either one would be a fine choice, so take your pick. You're probably better off with the Acekard if the Edge doesn't have any special features you want, because there's really no point in paying a premium for stuff you'll never use. But if there's something you can get with the Edge and not the Acekard, it'd be good to know that before buying.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Askepios said:
Big Green said:

For the relatively small price difference between the DSTT and Acekard, I'd definitely go with the Acekard. It's said to be a pretty obvious budget card. And then there's the risk of fakes, too. And like you said, it's cheaply made, too. Not to the point where it'll just fall apart, but it isn't known to be particularly sturdy. In general, the Acekard is just a better card. For the extra $5, I'd go with that.

Buying an R4 would be a waste for the reasons DaMummy mentioned. The original R4 is out of production, and the clones will never get the kind of true updates you'd want. It's simply outdated now.

The iTouch looks nice, and that was one of my choices before eventually going with the Acekard. The hook there was the ability to dual-boot the iTouch firmware with the M3 Sakura firmware. But after reading on it a bit, that's pretty much the only special thing about it.

Most anything you pick will be able to do the stuff you mentioned (except the R4, because it sucks), so it really just comes down to personal preference. The thing about the Acekard is that it's generally accepted as a higher-end card at a budget price. With that, it seems like an obvious buy to me. Any card can play games and run homebrew apps, but you never know when you might want some of the special features certain cards offer. Makes sense to go with the best one in your price range.

I'd say to stick with the Acekard, but that's just my opinion. I bought before doing enough reading, and I could have easily made the wrong choice. I was almost considering the R4, even. I was considering the DSTT more seriously, though. And after buying, everything I saw said that the Acekard is better, and it's basically the card to get on a budget. Luckily, that's what I went with anyway, but I'd have hated myself for a while if I ended up going with something else.

But as long as stuff like that doesn't matter to you, you're safe with most anything. They all do basic stuff. The R4 won't play some recent games without some work because it sucks, but nobody cares about it anyway. The others you mentioned will do what you want without a problem. My main worry about the DSTT would be the risk of getting a fake. No particular worries about the iTouch, but it just doesn't sound like a special card. They're all good, just research which fits you best.

Thanks, I was mainly thinking about getting the TT because I could get a 2 gig with it instead of the 1 gig, but if this gift card thing is true, maybe I'll go with a 4 gig and an ace or Edge. I'll have to wait a while though since Dealextreme is slow. I'l use my 15 dollars in cash that I have to get a use TWEWY from some small business(Do you believe it, they sell it used at Gamestop for 35 bucks, just 5 dollars less than new. I'll buy it for 20 dollars less, and NO TAX to get it just without the box though.)

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thhanks you save me a lot of money skyman, I was seriously about to buy the Acekard for 20 something dollars.

And thank you askepios, I'm a little leaning to Acekard now. The Edge is stronger though. The card is more sturdy, but as for features, it seems pretty standard. Compatiblity is it's highest point though. It is constantly updated. It updates usually a little while after a Cyclo update.

But I still might get the Ace. I'll have to look into it a little more though.

Askepios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big Green said:
Thanks, I was mainly thinking about getting the TT because I could get a 2 gig with it instead of the 1 gig, but if this gift card thing is true, maybe I'll go with a 4 gig and an ace or Edge. I'll have to wait a while though since Dealextreme is slow. I'l use my 15 dollars in cash that I have to get a use TWEWY from some small business(Do you believe it, they sell it used at Gamestop for 35 bucks, just 5 dollars less than new. I'll buy it for 20 dollars less, and NO TAX to get it just without the box though.)

You're probably best sticking to the DSTT as a last resort. I'm sure it's not a terrible card, but it's not something most people would recommend unless you're on a tight budget.

Realistically, you shouldn't need more than 1GB storage immediately anyway. Anything over that is just to make things easier and faster. As long as you don't need to store a whole lot at once, it shouldn't be a problem to use a 1GB card until you can buy something better. I suppose it depends what you plan to put on the thing, though.

Though if you can get the gift card to work with Paypal, Dealextreme does open up a lot more options. Let's hope that works out. From there, it's your choice. It probably couldn't hurt to read the GBAtemp reviews for the Acekard and the Edge. Maybe even the DSTT.

QUOTE(Big Green @ Dec 1 2008, 12:15 AM) And thank you askepios, I'm a little leaning to Acekard now. The Edge is stronger though. The card is more sturdy, but as for features, it seems pretty standard. Compatiblity is it's highest point though. It is constantly updated. It updates usually a little while after a Cyclo update.

I like the Acekard, but I'd say the Edge has the advantage there. If you're willing to pay more, go for it. It's sturdy and updated often. The Acekard is updated pretty often to my knowledge, but I haven't heard anyone brag on the sturdiness of the card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu