Does Nintendont work with multiple partitions?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by random_human_being_, Dec 14, 2017.

1. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I have a HDD formatted as NTFS. If I make a second partition as FAT32, will Nintendont be able to use it?

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I think it should work. Nintendont only works with FAT32/exFAT and I believe it mounts the first one it finds.

random_human_being_ and DarthDub like this.
  3. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Just update Nintendont and you'll be fine.

random_human_being_ likes this.
  4. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    So, if the first partition is NTFS will it skip that, and read the FAT32 one?

I'm already using the latest version.

If it's supposed to work (the only information I could find was quite outdated, and implied that it shouldn't), then I'm going to try it as soon as possible.

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I think it should. If I remember correctly it mounts the first FAT32/exFAT partition it finds on a drive starting with USB port 0.

6. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    It was either @FIX94 or @GerbilSoft that implemented this.

7. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    I have my hdd split in 2. A wbfs partition and a fat 32. It works great.

8. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    works fine for me

9. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    What about a Wii U partition and a Fat32 partition will this work?

10. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Is that even possible?

11. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Usually the Wii U partition formats the whole drive.

What if their is a way around it. Like use Wii U stealth to hide the fat32 partition and format the other non hidden partition to Wii U format.
    Will this work? Or does the Wii U format everything even the hidden partition?

12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    there's nothing as "hidden partition".
    Ustealth is hiding the full drive, not partitions.

Actually, it's corrupting/editing the partition table signature to prevent the WiiU from seeing a table and asking to format the drive (to delete the table).
    if you want a WiiU format, it will format the partition table (where you define up to 4 partitions) and therefore you can't have multiple partition on that drive.

There is still a way to do it, but it had NEVER been tested (only theorized?), being too complicated: there's a way to "physically" (firmware based) restrict the HDD size.
    - format the drive to GPT, the partition table will be located at sector 0 AND a copy at end sector.
    - make 2 partitions, format the second one to FAT32, keep the first one not formatted to skip it.
    - make the drive smaller using special tools which talk to HDD internal firmware settings. resize to hide the second partition.
    - format the HDD to WiiU format. it will see a table at sector 0 and will format it without a partition table up to the end of the (fake) HDD size.
    - resize the drive back to full physical size to unhide partition 2 and GPT table backup at the end

- update ALL homebrew to read partition table from end of drive instead of sector 0
    - update ALL homebrew to read GPT instead of MBR
    - pray the tool work for your HDD and you don't lose data, or "brick" your hdd in the process.
    - hope your OS will look at the end table too, or it will ask to format the hdd to recreate the table at sector 0 and delete your wiiu partition
    I don't think a lot of tool/app/OS are written to look at the backup table. probably none. (I don't even know if partition managers are doing it properly either)

Last edited by Cyan, Dec 15, 2017