Homebrew Does Nintendont work with multiple partitions?

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think it should work. Nintendont only works with FAT32/exFAT and I believe it mounts the first one it finds.

So, if the first partition is NTFS will it skip that, and read the FAT32 one?

Just update Nintendont and you'll be fine.

I'm already using the latest version.

If it's supposed to work (the only information I could find was quite outdated, and implied that it shouldn't), then I'm going to try it as soon as possible.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If it's supposed to work (the only information I could find was quite outdated, and implied that it shouldn't), then I'm going to try it as soon as possible.

I think it should. If I remember correctly it mounts the first FAT32/exFAT partition it finds on a drive starting with USB port 0.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States

It was either @FIX94 or @GerbilSoft that implemented this.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Is that even possible?
Usually the Wii U partition formats the whole drive.

What if their is a way around it. Like use Wii U stealth to hide the fat32 partition and format the other non hidden partition to Wii U format.
Will this work? Or does the Wii U format everything even the hidden partition?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there's nothing as "hidden partition".
Ustealth is hiding the full drive, not partitions.

Actually, it's corrupting/editing the partition table signature to prevent the WiiU from seeing a table and asking to format the drive (to delete the table).
if you want a WiiU format, it will format the partition table (where you define up to 4 partitions) and therefore you can't have multiple partition on that drive.

There is still a way to do it, but it had NEVER been tested (only theorized?), being too complicated: there's a way to "physically" (firmware based) restrict the HDD size.
- format the drive to GPT, the partition table will be located at sector 0 AND a copy at end sector.
- make 2 partitions, format the second one to FAT32, keep the first one not formatted to skip it.
- make the drive smaller using special tools which talk to HDD internal firmware settings. resize to hide the second partition.
- format the HDD to WiiU format. it will see a table at sector 0 and will format it without a partition table up to the end of the (fake) HDD size.
- resize the drive back to full physical size to unhide partition 2 and GPT table backup at the end

- update ALL homebrew to read partition table from end of drive instead of sector 0
- update ALL homebrew to read GPT instead of MBR
- pray the tool work for your HDD and you don't lose data, or "brick" your hdd in the process.
- hope your OS will look at the end table too, or it will ask to format the hdd to recreate the table at sector 0 and delete your wiiu partition
I don't think a lot of tool/app/OS are written to look at the backup table. probably none. (I don't even know if partition managers are doing it properly either)

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: