Do you watch movies that you have already watched so you can do stuff in the background?

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have noticed, a lot of the times I keep watching movies that I have already watched because I dont have to fully focus on the movie itself.
I pause frequently, do other tasks, browse temp, go on youtube and watch a random video, do online shopping, unpause the movie, pause it 10 minutes later, do some work, unpause for 5 minutes, pause again, call a friend or text people.. etc etc

Is that a common habit? lol

Specially this year, the ratio of new to already watched movies is like 1:8

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. I have a pile of new films way too big to watch to be rewatching things I have seen. If I do rewatch something it is either a social thing, because it has been 10+ years or the like.

Might play a game while I watch a film to keep my hands busy but that will be a simpler game where I can afford a measure of split focus.

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. I have a pile of new films way too big to watch to be rewatching things I have seen. If I do rewatch something it is either a social thing, because it has been 10+ years or the like.

Might play a game while I watch a film to keep my hands busy but that will be a simpler game where I can afford a measure of split focus.

So do I. Got a huge collection and a lot of things I want to watch on netflix and prime video.. yet I find myself keep watching movies I have already watched.

For example, today I started watching The Mummy(1999) at 2:30ish... still watching it.
Paused so many times. Watched "Lew later" on youtube. Done some online shopping.
Texted people and here I am lol

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps not movies but yes anything I can find that I've watched previously will be used as background fodder.

Even though there is a lot I would like to watch, I really don't like to watch those as background noise because I'll either focus too much on the show (And lose track of what I'm *supposed* to be doing) or focus too much on the foreground task and miss parts of the show that are important later and otherwise ruin the experience.

So only rewatches for that task. My goal isn't to do two things at once, it's to have the background part of my brain not dying of boredom in situations where the foreground task is tedious but still requires a little thought.

Reactions: Alexander1970

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
No I don't. I usually just play music if I want some background noise when I'm doing something else. But mostly I just leave the TV on while I am doing stuff at night since I like the atmosphere of just having everything but the TV off at night.

Last edited by GABO1423,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Movies not usually, since I only tend to turn on movies I want to actively watch, but TV shows and such absolutely. I almost always have some kind video up on one of my monitors whenever I'm doing stuff on my PC as background noise, even when playing games a lot of the time unless I'm really interested in the game.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But mostly I just leave the TV on while I am doing it stuff at night since I like the atmosphere of just having everything but the TV off at night.
Is there a specific channel that you leave it on? My family like to leave the news channel on at night and whenever someone is in the room and doing something.
It's not something I enjoy personally because news channels tend to be repetitive and annoying (Especially when there's a large topic like COVID that dominates the news and is quite depressing in nature)
Maybe if it was a more interesting channel I may be more inclined towards the practise.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Is there a specific channel that you leave it on? My family like to leave the news channel on at night and whenever someone is in the room and doing something.
It's not something I enjoy personally because news channels tend to be repetitive and annoying (Especially when there's a large topic like COVID that dominates the news and is quite depressing in nature)
Maybe if it was a more interesting channel I may be more inclined towards the practise.
Nope. When I said TV, I literally meant the actual TV. I usually leave it on the No Signal screen, or idle on my Xbox One UI.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. When I said TV, I literally meant the actual TV. I usually leave it on the No Signal screen, or idle on my Xbox One UI.
That's an interesting vibe then, can't say I've heard of that one much before! I suppose having it dimly light the room must make for a good atmosphere though.

D

Deleted User

When I need to relax I usually play an old movie or show I've watched in the background whilst playing a video game.

For me, watching a new movie by itself is not relaxing but rather entertainment so I want to play it from start to finish without interruptions; listening to music is accompaniment for work.

Last edited by ,

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
That's an interesting vibe then, can't say I've heard of that one much before! I suppose having it dimly light the room must make for a good atmosphere though.
It does indeed! Especially when I'd rather not have any noise or would just listen to music on my headphones instead. However, my mom does leave the TV on. She leaves it on a local channel that shows nothing but Telenovelas (Spanish soap operas basically) at a low volume. Then turns the TV off after a while.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sometimes rewatch shows or play stuff like documentaries I haven't seen before in the background as long as it has English audio. I also sometimes start doing other stuff if I'm watching a bad movie. My earliest memory of this is with The Crow: City of Angels.

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Started watching the Mummy around 2:30 its now 8PM and still havent finished watching it LOL

Setup a new phone, done bits and bobs. I guess time to go back and watch it now

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I have noticed, a lot of the times I keep watching movies that I have already watched because I dont have to fully focus on the movie itself.
I pause frequently, do other tasks, browse temp, go on youtube and watch a random video, do online shopping, unpause the movie, pause it 10 minutes later, do some work, unpause for 5 minutes, pause again, call a friend or text people.. etc etc

Is that a common habit? lol

Specially this year, the ratio of new to already watched movies is like 1:8
I like to rewatch movies because I don't have to pay attention. If I haven't seen a movie before I have to catch every single line and thing that happens even if it's not important at all because it just bothers me for the rest of the movie until I can't stand it anymore and have to rewind.
But I tend to multitask while watching movies anyway unless it's so amazing that I can't take my eyes off it (but not so amazing that I have to pause because I'm overloaded with emotions)

robertsteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I usually put music in the background. Since I love listening to songs in the background while I'm doing my chores. And besides, there are so many movies coming out that I don't even always have time to watch them, let alone watch the ones I've watched. I just want to recommend https://www.123movie.show/. I always watch movies from it because I really like everything and the fact that it's free. I don't know about you, is it convenient for you to find a movie every time and watch it from different sites. If you have sites you watch from, please advise me, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by robertsteven,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays