Do you know more than ONE language?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Johnton, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

GBAtemp Patron
    Yepi69 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I know Portuguese cuz that's my main language, my English is also fluent and my Spanish is not bad either, I had multiple influences of English and Spanish when I was little which helped develop the skills I have today. I am currently learning French too, I knew a little bit of Dutch 8 years ago when I was living in Netherlands but I have long since forgotten all of it by now.

2. Uiaad

Uiaad GBATemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    I have a GCSE in German - Sixteen years later cannot remember a word. So to actually answer your question, No. Unless you are including programming languages.

3. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    german and english
    currently learning japanese
    had french in school for 4 or 5 years, dont remember anything :P

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I speak both Norwegian and English and I'm pretty good at English since it's taught from a young age here. My intonation is a bit odd though.

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    From what I could tell you did really well when we talked.
    Much better than I do for sure lol

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  6. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    Just Malay and English language. :)

7. vinstage

vinstage sweg

Jan 24, 2017
    Korea, North
    Spanish which branched onto weak Portugese due to the overlap in cognates making it easier to pick up. Honestly I don't have the motivation to learn or reinforce those two either, instead reinforcing the average Briton is lazy with language.

8. st4tic

st4tic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2019
    Afghanistan
    Only French and English

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Waifu material

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    English is my primary language, but I do know quite a bit of French, German, and I've taken up Japanese. Right now I am trying to really get deeper into the Japanese language since my girlfriend is part Japanese and I want to speak Japanese with her.

10. afeufeufeu

afeufeufeu Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2019
    France
    French as primary language, Spanish from my origins and from many summer in Spain, and English because I was obsessed with Friends and Absolutely Fabulous when I was a teenager.

11. LonelyPhantom

LonelyPhantom Eternal Wanderer

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    The End of Time
    Do computer languages count?

12. Flofflewoffle

Flofflewoffle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    Denmark
    Super Wonderful Puppyland
    Yes

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Dutch, English and French. The last is a struggle to write, but I can get by in conversations.

14. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel GBAtemp Psycho!

GBAtemp Patron
    Frederica Bernkastel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 31, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hinamizawa
    I can understand English, Russian and Japanese. In school I studied French but didn't enjoy it and barely remember anything. I've always wanted to learn German and Korean: They're up next after I'm more comfortable with my level of Japanese.

With every new language comes a new mental model in it a new way of seeing the world which I find rather exciting/motivating.

15. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    English and Portuguese.

I also know English Sign Language, Portuguese Sign language and I am going to learn British Sign language. :)

Baoulettes likes this.
  16. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Yes, Swedish is my main language and English comes naturally due to needing it in everyday life.

A few years back I also studied Japanese for 2 years and and have been using it since so as to not forget. A year or two back I attempted the JLPT N2 exam and passed the exam without intending to.

I have since moved to Japan and started using it professionally due to now working here. I am not by any means fluent in Japanese yet, but I can make myself understood and I have had little to no issues living here with my current language ability.

17. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    Nice to know I am no the only one interested in these language.
    I have no issue myself to hear, but I learned sign language we use here to be able to talk with a friend :)
    Far from knowing all of it but I can daily have "talk" with my friend with few struggles

For speaking languages as a french I have good speaking of french and bad writing
    (at least for me it is bad because I have some basic rules missing.)

And a bit of English I learnt year ago alone in a game, I say a bit because again as I had no teacher or anyone to correct me when I am wrong I can and have issues there and there :)

18. YoshistarBaxter

YoshistarBaxter Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2019
    United States
    Spanish is my first language, but I know waaaay more English nowadays. I guess being exposed to it for so bloody long skewed the see-saw to the latter by quite a ton lol

Really makes talking with my family all sorts of awkward sometimes. I tend to forget some Spanish words here and there. Thanks, brain!

Games like MOTHER 3 also helped me learn the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, plus I do know a very small number of Japanese phrases here and there thanks to various forms of their media. Although I don't think that really counts, since I don't speak fluent Japanese at all! :unsure:

19. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney Chemtrail Pilot

Apr 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    on the cool side of the pillow
    I grew up speaking German and Wäller Platt (a lower German dialect spoken in the West Forest).
    At school I learned (bad) English.
    Later I had a few Portuguese and Spanish lessons. Taught myself Japanese. At least enough to prevent myself from starving in Japan.
    I know a little little bit of French, Italian and Finnish. I can somewhat understand Luxembourgian, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Swiss German.. But cannot speak them.

On the programming side I speak C++, C#, x86/64 assembly, PowerPC, JavaScript, SQL, PHP

20. mrgone

mrgone old man

Nov 6, 2002
    Germany
    close to the oktoberfest
    i'm from germany and i am fluent in English und i took 1 year ( 2 semesters ) of Japanese at university. And I better not mention the 7 years of latin, oops :rofl2:

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted