slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
yes i have a sword and it's usually in my room but it's outside in the rain and i'm too lazy to go through that to go get it. it's a wood katana and my dad carved it for me when we were camping some number of years ago.

you couldn't slice someone with it unless you sharpened it enough, but you can sure give someone back pain for life.
"but might want to think about sorting that out.."
what if you said "swording that out" instead

Reactions: Mama Looigi

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm... is there any point in learning sword fighting anymore, considering it’s mostly illegal now?
Because as far as I’m concerned, some places commonly offer sword fighting lessons. Wouldn’t those be kind of useless today?
Depends where you are (as Chary mentioned you are allowed to walk around with one there -- they generally figure if you can wander around with a 50 cal on your back if you are bored and strong enough then not much to be gained by banning swords, and probably also dubious under the logic that allows people to have a firearm), and most places that do have it be some flavour of illegal have exceptions for historical items, sports and the like.
Some treat it as a sport, a workout (and I would 1000 times rather do sword drills or something than run on a treadmill, sit on an exercise bike going nowhere or lift weights), do it right and it is still martial arts training (you will have to learn footwork, distance estimation, the ideas how bodies work and how to make them not work, at least some grappling and so forth)

There are plenty of sports concerned with such things.

There is plain old fencing. Not my favourite thing (I generally find rapier swordplay, and especially points based fencing, quite dull but was glad to have learned the basics there) but might be all you have around you and some really take to it.

There is HEMA (historical European martial arts) if you fancy that side of things. It does split down a bit (I am not the greatest fan of Italian stuff compared to other things but some really like it) and have other things (see SCA and maybe WMA for example) but HEMA is probably where I would start for anything you might see that is not fencing.

Various Japanese swords and other oriental stuff has sports (see kendo, though it a very sport tweaked version of Japanese swordplay, and more traditional martial arts). You might also find Eskrima something to look into (you have probably seen it -- ever see someone using dual sticks in a TV show or something then probably that).

Indian martial arts have some fun stuff. I quite like Shastar Vidya myself and weapons are a big part of that.

If doing the online video thing to get more of an idea then the following have various amounts of content on the matter
https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
https://www.youtube.com/user/lindybeige
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjGKyrdT4Gja0VLO40RlOw
https://www.youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson
https://www.youtube.com/user/shadmbrooks

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mr_Reaper

Newcomer
Trophies
The dark endless abyss of empty eternal oblivion.
Website
tinyvast.com
XP
Country
United States
Heh, no, I don't have "a" sword in my room....

WeaponWall09.png

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just so happen to have 2 swords in my room!

- One high frequency blade (Metal Gear Rising) Bought it off of Amazon.

- And a very old Chinese sword I bought from a gun show a few years back just hanging on the thumbnail of a poster on my wall. (If I remember, the guy told me it was a little over 100 years old)

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don’t have a sword but I have this dagger
View attachment 283508
Which sits on a literal Satanic altar that I have my room
View attachment 283509
did u know that aint the right depiction of bab-come/baphomet? the original what the knights templar used was more like this
Baphomet_figura.jpg
"They show a male/female double head, which is worn by the braid of the female part. It symbolizes the eternal male and female ILU forces, which in their union become the omnipotent force. When the Templars were only able to call one of the magical stones their own, they were already making small Baphomet figures; however, after obtaining the second stone, they were in possession of both forces, male and female, and were able to tackle a very special project: the creation of the Magna Figura, the Great Baphomet."

Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello