• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you feel the USA is better now than it was 22 years ago?

Are things getting better or worse for the "Greatest Country in the World"?

• Better

• Worse

• It's a mixed bag and very complicated and while I think some things have declined we do also have...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then the Uyghurs aren´t replaced or genocided by the Han Chinese. There are just more people in XinJiang.

I don´t care about US rates. I care about people being disingenuous regarding facts.
search this entire board and ask me where I mentioned the Uyghurs. Quit trying to whataboutism every single talking point you spineless worm.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile pushes religious beliefs on both marriages and abortions.
Go on.

oh of course your going to make this argument like the others, even though the others got cold feet and couldn't back it up.
Alright. So let me ask. What is grooming?
lightyear-gay-kiss.jpeg

is this what you consider grooming? Being accepted? Because unless someone is trying to get them secluded for rape. It's not grooming. (I point this out since this scene was leaked from this movie. And right wingers lost their mind over it, calling it, you guess it grooming)

So the state is out to get your guns? Last time I checked no, it hasn't. It's only making the process of getting a weapon more strict.
I don't push religious beliefs, you have me confused with somebody else.

I said grooming kids to alter their bodies surgically. Once again, you are reading things that I never said.

Making getting a weapon more strict is infringing. We have a Constitutional amendment that addresses that.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, the moment the US starts packing up their bags in other countries where they have bases, that is the sign that the US is in deep decline. Not because they don't want to be there, but because they can't afford it anymore.

Don't worry, the same thing happened to the UK, and they're still doing alright. I only root for the US because they're objectively better than China to be the world power.
You mentioned we are $30 trillion in debt. We already cannot afford it. The only winners there are the military industrial complex and the central bankers. The people have been losing for a long time.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care what people THINK about other people. I care about what they do. And Clarence Thomas is a moron based on what he has done. I've seen some of what Candance has put out, but not that much. Overall, she's a moron, but is just another talking head with no real power. Anyways, I don't believe that's my topic.

Oh jesus, are you really trying to cling onto a single gun nut who's scared to go outside to be your chosen hero? Countless examples of using guns to save lives? Yes, when a market is flooded with guns, you'll occasionally get someone who tries to be a "hero" and shoots another person. Now take a look at all the other times when people didn't shoot the guy. Muuuuuuch higher statistics for that. Even more instances when people have a gun, but they still run away from the guy with a gun. It's not worth throwing their life away just to become a headline hero for 15 minutes. The stats are not in your favor, and can never be.

Japan is the exact opposite to how America is currently. I don't fear for anything at any time. Never. Not once. Japanese people are like the dodo birds of the world. Their trust of the world around them is beyond what you can fathom, and it makes the country a better place for it. When people go to a fast food restaurant, they leave their cell phones on the table to claim it. When they come back, it's always still there on the table. It's that insane level of safe.

I can't stress this enough. You are blatantly wrong when it comes to the idea that Abe may have been safer if people around him were armed. I live the dream. It's a dream that you'll never achieve thinking like you do.
The topic was crazy beliefs, which is what people think. I pointed one out and you disregarded it. So I'm disregarding your other three paragraphs.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
I said grooming kids to alter their bodies surgically. Once again, you are reading things that I never said.
Okay I'll bite.

https://www.anthem.com/dam/medpolicies/abc/active/guidelines/gl_pw_a051166.html
"

1. The individual is at least 18 years of age; and
  2. The individual has capacity to make fully informed decisions and consent for treatment; and

3. The individual has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria (see Discussion section for diagnostic criteria); and

4. For individuals without a medical contraindication or intolerance, the individual has undergone a minimum of 12 months of continuous hormonal therapy when recommended by a mental health professional and provided under the supervision of a physician; and

5. If the individual has significant medical or mental health issues present, they must be reasonably well controlled. If the individual is diagnosed with severe psychiatric disorders and impaired reality testing (for example, psychotic episodes, bipolar disorder, dissociative identity disorder, borderline personality disorder), an effort must be made to improve these conditions with psychotropic medications and/or psychotherapy before surgery is contemplated; and

6. Two referrals from qualified mental health professionals* who have independently assessed the individual. If the first referral is from the individual’s psychotherapist, the second referral should be from a person who has only had an evaluative role with the individual. Two separate letters, or one letter signed by both (for example, if practicing within the same clinic) are required. The letter(s) must have been signed within 12 months of the request submission."
BlueCross

So no. No kids are getting their sex changed before 18. And secondly, getting your sex changed is not grooming, grooming is a term for pedophiles.

Making getting a weapon more strict is infringing. We have a Constitutional amendment that addresses that.
No it's not. If it was then getting a felony should violate the constitution. Since that too removes the ability to own fire arms. And that's outright removal. Not adjusting the process. So if the state can already remove your guns for certain actions. Then it's fair to believe that they can make the process stricter. That doesn't mean removal.

Reactions: Dakitten

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'll bite.

https://www.anthem.com/dam/medpolicies/abc/active/guidelines/gl_pw_a051166.html
"

1. The individual is at least 18 years of age; and
  2. The individual has capacity to make fully informed decisions and consent for treatment; and

3. The individual has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria (see Discussion section for diagnostic criteria); and

4. For individuals without a medical contraindication or intolerance, the individual has undergone a minimum of 12 months of continuous hormonal therapy when recommended by a mental health professional and provided under the supervision of a physician; and

5. If the individual has significant medical or mental health issues present, they must be reasonably well controlled. If the individual is diagnosed with severe psychiatric disorders and impaired reality testing (for example, psychotic episodes, bipolar disorder, dissociative identity disorder, borderline personality disorder), an effort must be made to improve these conditions with psychotropic medications and/or psychotherapy before surgery is contemplated; and

6. Two referrals from qualified mental health professionals* who have independently assessed the individual. If the first referral is from the individual’s psychotherapist, the second referral should be from a person who has only had an evaluative role with the individual. Two separate letters, or one letter signed by both (for example, if practicing within the same clinic) are required. The letter(s) must have been signed within 12 months of the request submission."
BlueCross

So no. No kids are getting their sex changed before 18. And secondly, getting your sex changed is not grooming, grooming is a term for pedophiles.

No it's not. If it was then getting a felony should violate the constitution. Since that too removes the ability to own fire arms. And that's outright removal. Not adjusting the process.
Grooming is also teachers talking to kindergartners about sex and taking kids to drag queen shows. Which is weird, because kids are not allowed in normal strip bars. There are lots of people who believe that kids should take puberty blockers, which is a waste of time if you are already 18. They also believe that kids should be able to surgically alter their bodies. These same people have been arguing for years that kids should be able to get abortions without parental consent.

Thanks for making the case that if a felon has repaid their debt back to society, they should get all of their rights restored. Not just some of them. Good job!

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The topic was crazy beliefs, which is what people think. I pointed one out and you disregarded it. So I'm disregarding your other three paragraphs.
Crazy beliefs was never the topic.

But I love how conveniently you ignore things. I believe that goes back to what the ex-KGB guy said about having a group of people ignoring facts when they're presented. Guess he was right about that.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You mentioned we are $30 trillion in debt. We already cannot afford it. The only winners there are the military industrial complex and the central bankers. The people have been losing for a long time.
I know, that's why I said that the country is being flushed down the toilet while everyone is pointing fingers at each other.

You're the one who thinks that things will be fixed by electing conspiracy theory morons into power, when they're the end result of the problem.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Grooming is also teachers talking to kindergartners about sex
If we're talking about gender (which I'd assume it is, considering where talking about trans) then no. If I say "their pronouns are they/them" in front of kindergartners, that's not grooming.
Grooming is also teachers taking kids to drag queen shows
And also no. you don't just get to try to change a meaning of a word.
1658288843110.png

Second, your using "kid" which when you say that, makes me think a 7-12. The situation your talking about refers to a 16 year old. At least name the age.
thirdly. I feel like this is a red hearing?

there's a lot of information lacking, it's a bit... suspicious

1.We only hear what the dad says.
It's rather strange... That we're focusing on the father and not the kid.... if this was a 'normal' news story, you'd focus on the person that happened to. "Son speaks out" is more powerful than "dad speaks out"

2. tracing the story as far as I can possibly go.
It seems that within the chain of telephone (or being more sensationalist) it got changed from "Father suspects teacher" to "teacher is a child predator"

3.Again lack of information which is pretty concerning. I find it odd that the teacher in question wasn't at least somewhat named? Even a little? Because students don't just interact with all teachers, it's just a select group of them usually.
4.. the cover story
One other issue I'm noticing is the framing is... narrative driven?

"Terwogt said his son initially told him that he was going to record a food contest."
First off, recording a food contest? What kind? eating? or display? It's rather extremely vague. But the part that catches my eye the most is this:
"He said he even texted his son to check on him. He said his son told him that they were still recording and he was safe."

the two had contact with each other. and given by the fact the whole situation ends by 3am. This is clearly after school hours. Why does that matter? Well, if something was truly wrong, that wasn't supposed to happen, wouldn't the teen had said something earlier??? that's 10+ hours of not... saying anything.

5th. a lot more holes
I have to repeat that he got home super late at 3am. That's over 10 hours. Schools end by 3pm. Drag shows are only 40-60 minutes. Sure we can assume a driving time of perhaps an hour or two. to make 4 hours of total driving. But that still doesn't add up. Where is all that other time spent?
Already if it's kinda clear from what I established. Things aren't exactly lining up, and I'm getting a sense the teen was lying to his dad. But also too... if we assumed a safety problem for just a second (pretending that the teens phone was compromised)
We don't get... any questions from the parent to the son?????????
Like, teen just goes to bed at 3am, no questions from the parent??? Nothing? If I was that age, and that late, my mother would be all over my ass asking a trillion fucking questions of where the hell I had been.

Take aways:
1. It feels like the Republican party is latching onto this one thing as red hearing. (one bad situation, to call the rest of a group evil) Because there's only this one case that's ever pointed to, which was back in 2019. And you think in a social media age that the teen would maybe make a twitter account? And maybe go on talking about how bad it was? And that being person interviewed?
hell google maps is a thing, or he could of called the police....
1.5 the time gap is also waaay too big. 12 hours. If we assume the son got out of school at 3pm. that's 12 hours of events not explained. The trip cannot consist just "drag show" since drag shows are about 40-60 minutes. Drag shows also are more commonly sfw, than nsfw.
2. if the situation truly happened the way as described, (I kinda have my doubts, but I'll give benefit of the doubt, only out of just, the absurd lack of information relating to this) then the teacher can go fuck off, they don't represent LGBTQ people. But that doesn't make LGBTQ groomers. Since even with that situation, it doesn't fit the definition of "grooming" they were in public. not secluded, and no sexual acts were done with any proven evidence. Which, wouldn't the teen tell his dad something within 3 years?
3. If anything the Republican party has every reason to use this as a distraction tactic.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ts-talk-about-republicans-and-sex-crimes.html
Since a surprising amount of them have been found to actually be pedophiles, not just alleged, but actual evidence to the claim.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Grooming is also teachers talking to kindergartners about sex and taking kids to drag queen shows.
Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not grooming, it's normalizing. Grooming is used as an attack word to demonize anyone who has a different sexual orientation than you. Normalizing is more neutral, and better used in this situation as people are trying to teach that gay/trans people are out there and have been there for centuries.

We know you wear your ideologies on your sleeve, but you may as well use the correct vocabulary, so not to look overly radicalized. But hey, you're the guy who thinks Japanese people should arm themselves, so you're already radicalized.

Last edited by titan_tim,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
search this entire board and ask me where I mentioned the Uyghurs. Quit trying to whataboutism every single talking point you spineless worm.
If white replacement is a conspiracy theory - which it is accordig to mainstream media (unless it is celebrated by some leftist professor), then Uyghur replacement is also a conspiracy theory.
Don´t be a spineless worm and admit to logic.
It is irrevelant whether you mentioned Uyghurs.
But if you insist: You probably mentioned (not that I care to look) Native Americans and their oppression by Whites (which I agree with btw: I even think they deserve large parts of the US as an independend country). The number of Native Americans living in the US today COULD be as high as when Columbus arrived. The numbers are highly speculative. But if the numbers allign, then Whites did not replace Native Americans, which is obviously ridiculous.

So don´t be a spineless worm and answer two questions:
-Are Han Chinese replacing Uyghurs in XinJiang?
-Did Whites replace Native Americans in today´s area of the USA?

You will not answer because we know you are a spinless worm*.

[*NOTE TO MODERATORS: I am merely using his expression]

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when HR wasn’t really a thing. Now it’s everywhere and teaming up with PR and everything hurts everyone.

Spanking woke up so called woke people.
#BringBackLazyHR

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many factors go into that. A fair comparison would be per capita. Regardless, the only "solution" the left is programmed to accept is gun confiscation, which is unconstitutional.
Even when taking capita into account, US still has more mass shootings than the others. Right to life is also not only constitutional, but ethical. Of course you guys keep proving you don't actually care about all the lost lives.

You're not very good at turning a topic back on somebody else. It is not a false dilemma. You can tax everybody making $100k+/year 100% of their earnings and you would still not have enough to pay for what we currently pay for plus universal healthcare. Then what are you going to do for the second year, because people are not going to accept the government taking all of their money.

Once again, the left does not have any long term solutions, only slogans.
We already pay more than other countries and everyone here is still not covered, yet they still managed to find money to send for help. We can literally cover everyone, by not overpricing healthcare.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
No. USA is not better now. Much worse right now for years and never end. Due to illegal aliens, serial killers, murder, gangs, drugs, gun violence, domestic violence, many people are married then get divorce, homicide, suicide, bad polices & agents, bad federal & government and other go on. Crime always go up everywhere in USA. So many people are homeless everywhere. Very sad news. :(

I heard about Finland in Europe is very safe country and don't have any violence yet.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Things were going fine, until 9/11 happened... Then everything just went to absolute shit after that, and never got better. Only progressively worse. But I can only speak for Americans on the West coast.

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not from the US, I'm from France, but I think USA is just like us, it's WORSE than before:
Much worse right now for years and never end. Due to ILLEGAL alien, serial killers, murder, gangs, drugs, gun violence, domestic violence, many people are married then get divorce, homicide, suicide, bad polices & agents, bad federal & government and other go on. TRUMP has been very protective for the USA, without him, you americans would have been in even worse shape, come here in France to see how we have gotten concerning insecurity!!
Crime always go up everywhere in USA but even more in EUROPE, except northern countries with almost NO alien like danemark, Finland also slovenia and Hungary are fine and in Good Shape, you can go outside without risk and leave your house open without been robbed. Knowing if it was better 20 years before, clearly depends on your age, you cannot know at 20 or 30 of course!

Last edited by mrmagicm,

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I manage a multimillion dollar corporate innetwork. I manage routers, switches, vSphere servers, firewalls, VOIP, storage, wireless, and cloud platforms. I also hold Cisco certifications.

Sure, I'm a boomer. :rofl2:

And yet you spend all your time here :rofl2: whatever you manage must be burned in flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu