Hacking Do I need exFAT support in the Switch OS to be able to backup unsplit NAND in Hekate?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So Im on 4.1 and want to backup my NAND before I start using the SX OS Pro. I dont think my switch supports exFAT, does it mean that when I load into Hekate to backup NAND the exFAT card wont be recognized? Or does the Hekate mode always have exFAT support?

Reactions: godstriker8

Clapmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think exfat works at all period on anything on Switch without the exfat update. I think Hekate does support fat32 by splitting up the nand but I believe you need exfat if you want to restore that nand. Not super positive on that though.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NAND backups are performed in Hekate, not in Horizon. Therefore its not a requirement for your Switch to have the exFAT update but for Hekate to which it does.
Yes.
I don't think exfat works at all period on anything on Switch without the exfat update. I think Hekate does support fat32 by splitting up the nand but I believe you need exfat if you want to restore that nand. Not super positive on that though.
No.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And just to make it extra clear...
Before you continue:
Hekate - ipl, is a custom bootloader with extra features.
It must not be confused with CFW, hbmenu and anything else that is on the Horizon OS (Switch's OS) side.
E.g., hekate supports exFAT formatted sd cards, but if you never downloaded the exFAT update, it will not work on horizon os or any homebrew.

godstriker8

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And just to make it extra clear...
Thanks, I was starting to sweat a bit, after finishing my first NAND backup in FAT32 b/c my Switch is lacking the exFat update.

So if I reformat my SD card to exfat, hekate should always be able to read it, allowing me to make a restore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips. +1