DK Rap composer excluded from Super Mario Bros. Movie credits

donkey_kong_super_mario_movie.png

A few days ago, the Super Mario Bros. Movie Twitter account announced that the iconic DK Rap from Donkey Kong 64 would be in the new film, with a short video of Seth Rogen (the movie's voice for DK) watching the game's opening sequence and deeming it "objectively one of the worst rap songs of all time." DK Rap composer Grant Kirkhope was initially excited at its inclusion, but has turned around after it was pointed out by James Burt on Twitter that the song is only credited as being "from Donkey Kong 64."

"I was really looking forward to see my name in the credits for the DK Rap, but alas as expected it's not there ........ fml," tweeted Kirkhope, who also called the situation "depressing."

It appears Kirkhope may not have been the only the composer excluded, however. While Koji Kondo is credited, he also worked with the film's composers to rework some of his own music. Some in-theater screenshots taken from users on Twitter show that the song "Attack! Fury Bowser!" is only credited as "from Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury."

Despite some positive press leading up to its release, reviews for The Super Mario Bros. Movie have been lukewarm so far. Carrying a 54% and 49 from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (albeit with a 98% and 78 from user reviews on those same sites) at the time of writing, the consensus seems to be that it lacks substance but will please fans with its easter eggs.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is in theatres now.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source plz
Regarding Metroid Prime: https://gonintendo.com/contents/251...to-didn-t-care-if-metroid-prime-got-cancelled

Regarding how Shigeru has final say on which franchises to revisit or pursue: https://www.vg247.com/miyamoto-no-l...franchises-but-still-has-final-responsibility

His publicly stated opnion about the F Zero franchise: https://www.engadget.com/2013-06-21-miyamoto-unsure-where-to-take-f-zero-franchise.html

With Iwata's passing, the shuffling of responsibilities and authorities was going to inevitably change, that much was a given.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't care less as long as I get paid.
Getting credited is very important.

It's like ghost writers, we don't hear about them or see them credited, but we should just to know who truly wrote/compose it.

A lot of Modern Country Songs are composed by the same musicians and it's no wonder why they all sound so similar.

Definition:

ghostwriter /ˈɡōstˌrīdər, ˈɡoʊstˌraɪdər /
▸ noun a person whose job it is to write material for someone else who is the named author.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoiler alert: They have merchandise
And most people left as credits were rolling even though had some animation going. Eventually went to black screen but then had a sequel hint at the end if could call it that.
And personally I liked seeing it listed as donkey Kong 64 as I didn’t know the guys name who had made it so seeing donkey Kong 64 was better for me. But if the guy who originally made it out of a labor of love, I understand them hoping to see their name listed for something people still enjoy so many years later

Attachments

• FE7A6B3F-B200-4B83-A755-8F40DB3AC05B.jpeg
    FE7A6B3F-B200-4B83-A755-8F40DB3AC05B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • A04BEB42-E1F0-4F2D-BF35-8D41D8285281.jpeg
    A04BEB42-E1F0-4F2D-BF35-8D41D8285281.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited by Tri-Z,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn’t the dk rap in one of the commercials or the promotional videos Nintendo released. I swear I seen it.
People who are worried that it was a spoiler, what do you do when the commercials for the Mario movie come on TV? Or seeing Mario drive his Kart on rainbow road isn’t a spoiler. It’s not like the DK bit gave away any of the story line.

Attachments

• 59022B54-BFDC-49E5-B426-201253637311.jpeg
    59022B54-BFDC-49E5-B426-201253637311.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • A6A2C3FA-19E2-4275-B19A-BD6DBA96BB12.jpeg
    A6A2C3FA-19E2-4275-B19A-BD6DBA96BB12.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited by Tri-Z,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The DK Rap was credited in the credits for the soundtrack. Saw it today myself.
Post automatically merged:

the dk rap being in the mario movie is no surprise to me since i’ve seen it but yeah big fuckin spoiler put right there on the front page that could ruin the experience for those who haven’t seen it yet and have been avoidng it to prevent spoilers
Don't worry, it didn't spoil a damn thing, but two things were canonized in this movie that fans have always speculated, but have never been confirmed, so that's cool.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite some positive press leading up to its release, reviews for The Super Mario Bros. Movie have been lukewarm so far. Carrying a 54% and 49 from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (albeit with a 98% and 78 from user reviews on those same sites) at the time of writing, the consensus seems to be that it lacks substance but will please fans with its easter eggs.
For the record... I predicted this would happen. Still, I'm hoping to watch it soon (i.e. this weekend), as I still feel it will be enjoyable to watch despite not being a slam-dunk for critics.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so is it an artists right to be credited after selling their art to a company for their product and making it part of the product essentially separated from the artist?

if not, its a low blow but not surprising in any way and the artists own fault for not making that part of the deal.
if so, well, sue for credit or compensation

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I watched the credits. As I wanted to see the post credit scene, was surprised his name wasn't there. Fucked up.
If somebody isn't getting any royalties for their music, then sure, its a complete piss take on the producers responsible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto