Disgaea 1 remake coming to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch in Japan this summer

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 10, 2018.

Front-page
    Disgaea-1-Refine-Init_04-10-18.

Earlier this year, Nippon Ichi Software (NIS) teased the existence of a 15th anniversary Disgaea game. This game would be a remake of the very first Disgaea game, but nothing else was revealed. Today, NIS has given a few more details on the game, such as the platforms and the Japanese launch date. The game will be called "Disgaea Refine", and will launch later this year in Japan on July 26, 2018. It'll be available on both the PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch. According to an issue of Dengeki PlayStation, the graphics will not only get an overhaul, but the gameplay will also get a refresh, too. There's also going to be a limited edition. Judging by the success of Disgaea games in the west, a western release not too long after is expected.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (24 replies)
  1. smileyhead

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    I still haven't tried the series. Should I?

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    How nice.

3. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Yes. You definitely should. Coming from an owner of Disgaea 5 on Switch.

4. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
    these god damn disgea remakes, cant start one game without it getting an enhanced port that i should be playing instead on a console i dont even own, now why even continue my disgea 1 game if a better version is coming out?

5. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Can someone pick up that phone?
    Because I FREAKING CALLED IT! :D

gamefan5 likes this.
  6. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    still haven't played a Disgaea game yet. I do like starting at 1, though I'm guessing it isn't a coherent plot-line between numbered games XD

7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    the plot is short, but has a lot of funny characters. worth of a try, and you have a lot of grinding if u wish to unlock some hidden classes or finish challenge areas

8. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    disgaea 1's main issue was its gameplay, it was unbalanced and clunky, the second game fixes that, so i'd argue that you should stop playing it if you are having a bad time

9. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Speaking of story, I wonder if they will add more. Also, I wonder when Disgaea 6 is going to come out. Probably until they remake all the past games one more time. lol

10. brunocar

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    they always do with rereleases, so its obvious they'll do it on a remake, hell, they may even add stuff to the main story rather than just side stories

11. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    You absolutely totally should, dude. It's grind heaven. Get one portably if at all possible (PSP/Vita/Switch), they work so much better as portable games imo.

12. Giga_Gaia

Giga_Gaia GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2006
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    Unless this game was completely remade to be more like latest entries, don't bother, latest entries are far better in term of gameplay. The only good thing about Disgaea 1 was its story. Majins were by far the most powerful unit. They were so overpowered that nothing else was even worth using. They fixed that in Disgaea 2, so this likely won't be in this game either.

13. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    This series has too many versions on different platforms. Confusing.

14. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    I just realized that I have the Steam version sitting on my Hard Drive, yet have never gotten around to playing it.

I would pick it up, but I have way too many other games on my backlog right now. It's cool that the Switch version is looking like it'll be more than just a straight port of the PSP/PC Version, though.

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    yeah, but try it for like 10 bucks on the DS, not 50-70 on the switch

16. brunocar

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    or try the PSP versions, they can be emulated on your phone easily and getting a PSP is cheap, but disgaea 1 and 2 are on pretty much everything, so whatever device you wrote that reply on is probably able to run disgaea 1 for sure

sarkwalvein likes this.
  17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    IMHO, the first one has the best comedy and story.
    If they also "updated" the gameplay, then this remake may be the best starting point.

That said, be prepared to lose your life if you want to dig deep into the game. Everything can be leveled up, even healing potions, or a shoe, anything, it's kind of crazy if you go for it. And doing politics like a gangster is fun, also.

18. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Dying on the first boss shows the credits, that alone is worth your time.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  19. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Oh, that's nice news. Was thinking about revisiting the older Disgaea titles at some point, but 1 in particular feels extremely clunky, especially after all the QoL stuff 5 brought.