Homebrew (Discussion) How long were you in the 3DS hacking community for?

How long were you here for? (Be honest!)

• Total voters

gold lightning

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first taste of the 3DS homebrew scene was when a way to temporarily inject a ROM into a VC game via the browser was discovered. (I just couldn't resist playing Pokemon Crystal instead of Wario Land 3). I don't think the homebrew launcher was even a thing quite just yet.

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does using tubehax to extract your Pokémon save and edit it count as being part of the hacking community?

Last edited by Hyoretsu,
D

Deleted User

2015-ish. I initially was looking into 3DS Homebrew to see if there were any decent GBA Emulators (Just got into emulation, didn't have a phone, wanted to see the available options). I was initially fine with Ninjhax 2.2-ish. However, at one point or a other, I kinda gave up on the scene for a while, and didn't come back until Ninjhax 2.5 came out.

Near early to mid 2016, 10.3 Downgrades were a thing, so I read up on CFW, poring through Plailect's guide religiously before starting. I was scared about bricking my 3DS, and remember being really stressed out by it. Perhaps more stressed out than I was about my SATs. Which probably says something, IDK.

Anyway, sometime after that, I got an account here, and became an insufferable shitposter. I've kept up with the 3DS Scene from time to time, checking out new releases as they come.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got into the 3ds scene on Black Friday. I bought and kept the Mario edition. It was priced perfectly. I poked around here before it arrived. After 3ds.guide was updated to include soundhax and slowhax, I read it a few times, then executed it. Now Im all set.

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember downloading every free game in the eshop because smea was about to announce which free game would lead to the exploit. Proud ironhax user

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember using browserhax and menuhax with RxTools. I was aware of the scene when Crown3DS was talked about, but didn't get into it until Tubehax/Ironhax. Just homebrew, then moved to CFW with EmuNAND. I don't remember exactly when it was.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I was there, right back from the 1800's!. I was so excited about the new rom menu when it happened in an update, I took pictures. I realize rom loading was available before the menu but you could only use 1 rom at a time, I think if I can recall back then. It was genuinely so cool though when Gateway Flashcard became a reality with rom loading on the 3ds. I think that was one of my most exciting hacking moments of all time on a handheld/console!
P4060002.jpg

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started with MSET and RxTools on 4.5. It was awesome showing my freshly hacked 3ds to all of my friends. I'm pretty sure I got in the game really late though. I was going to trade my too high to be hacked 3ds with my friend who had one on a lower firmware. He never traded me, so my now ex girlfriend just gave me her old 3ds that she left sitting in a drawer after she got an XL. It was somewhere in the 6.X range, so it could be downgraded.

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Early 2015, two years up and still running
Very long journey with so much fun
MSET Palantine -> MSET PBT-CFW -> MSET CakesFW -> rxTools+Browser exploit -> rxTools+PastaCFW+Ninjhax -> ReiNAND+Ninjhax ->CakesFW+Ninjhax -> rxTools+Menuhax -> DSTWO Plus+rxTools+Menuhax -> AuReiNAND+arm9loaderhax v1 -> Luma3DS+arm9loaderhax v1 -> SaltFW+ShadowNAND -> Corbenik+arm9loaderhax v2 (compiled from Github) -> Luma3DS+CTRNAND Kecleon+arm9loaderhax -> Sighax..? I'm waiting
Tried them all
While doing so,
Wrote the instruction on how to install Menuhax+CFW in Russian (almost year before Plailect)
Bricked 2 consoles doing early Plailect's guide
Hardmodded my Old 3DS, set up CFW on my New 3DS with capture card
Defragmented the Old 3DS' CTRNAND (because GW's downgrade is stupid)
Used my Old 3DS couple of times to help people set up CFW with DSiWareHax
Got banned in Sun/Moon and then self-unbanned
Became the fan of GBATemp, absolutely love this community <3

Actually, today is exactly one year since I've got my New 3DS back after capture card installation and set up CFW on it
up3X1ib.jpg

Last edited by Elveman,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bought my first 3DS in august 2014, always kept it updated because nobody had cubic ninja for sale plus the fact I wanted to transfer to N3DS at launch (which was announced 1 week after my purchase but that's another story);

After buying cubic ninja for 15 €, I also had to buy a 2DS for hacking: I used 8.1 sysnand and 9.5/6 emunand with rxtools, started via cubic ninja or browserhax depending on the mood
That console was probably in the first thousand in the world to have downgraded to 2.1 to dump the otp in february 2016, but it was stolen out of my car before I had actually installed A9LH (which back then required compiling your own nand/kernel/whatever or using shady webapps)

Not too much later, the 10.3 soft downgrade was released and I used the N3DS until July 2016, when I got both a new o3ds and a new old XL (tm) for cheap...

I was already giving up on the 3DS scene in september (after most the cool things happened - A9LH with sd-less minicfw, keyboard support in homebrew, SDK officially released to the public including many previously undumped apps, software detection of volume/3d controls/battery level, decrypt9's installed-app-to-cia and 3ds-to-cia, ... - and due to being pissed due to too many people posting off topic questions in gbatemp's "3ds homebrew development" section) when the Wii U scene exploded, and I haven't yet looked back

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Guess everything started with the Sky3DS in Feb. 2015 despite not being used for anything homebrew-related until mid-2015 for Ninjhax and the other exploits. I was originally aiming for a Gateway back when I got to know it. However, the turning point appeared when I decided to update to 9.5 while being on 9.2 waiting for a Gateway due to the fact that I would play Smash online everyday and all of a sudden I couldn't because of having the console outdated (it was a tough decision, I even recorded the moment for the lulz). Hopefully it was entirely worth it. Thanks to the Sky3DS I could make use of homebrew in mid-2015 a lot (with its occasional stops thanks to the heaven of stability preventing people from updating in exchange of keeping homebrew). Been like that for about 8 months until I decided to move to CFW in March 2016. Originally set an EmuNAND accesible through menuhax with the newly-freshy AuReiNAND by that time, then moved to a9lh around August 2016 when I considered that it was safe enough and it was pointless to keep suffering the EmuNAND setting's flaws. Updated a9lh around the end of the year to have it boot without the SD card and that's how my dear flame red o3ds is nowadays, along with several games and homebrew cias

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...