Hacking DIOS MIOS! GC ISO Loader proof of concept (Starfox Assault)

• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 149,733
  • Replies 682
Status
Not open for further replies.

ignance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I gather in the Q&A, this is definitely not for the person looking to play backups he already has, but rather for the person willing to make backups with the games they currently have.
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I really am just looking to re-live the games that I had stolen from me a few years back. I don't want to go out and buy them all over again, and I really don't like having a ton of disks around. All of my Wii games that I legitimately purchased I backed up to a USB hard drive. I have so few GC games now, and I'm grateful that homebrew has made my Wii region free so I can enjoy all four of them. If what DIOS MIOS is telling me is "You can enjoy half of them, better go buy more," then I'm sorry, I don't know if this is the solution that many people are looking for.

That being said, congratulations on this fantastic achievement! I'm certain many people will enjoy this.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Kayot said:
It requires of ton of over head, has several flaws including sound related issues, and isn't going to be overly developed.
Really? From the Q&A, I gather that the streaming audio issue is the only issue
EDIT: that should of course be "the only KNOWN issue". With 1 man being both developer and tester, it's hard to say whether everything will really work out like it should.

(
QUOTEWhat's the current compatiblity?
Basically most games work that I’ve tried, those audio streaming games are not working correctly though.
)

@B-Blue: erm...I don't know if you're familiar with the WODE, but it also has issues with streaming audio games. I don't know much of the details, but it wouldn't surprise me if the wode team stumbled upon the very same problem.

(oh, and "issue" may sound like it's a major deal...but not all gamecube games use streaming audio, and even the ones that do still have some sound)

EDIT2: found a link with the details of the WODE "issue": click me. Es emu_kidid pointed out, only about 30 games are affected, of which about 5 are popular. So if the sound issue is the same one as with dios mios, it's not exactly the end of the world.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
VashTS said:
maybe the games can be patched somehow to get around streaming audio? i don't know i'm just guessing.

No, patching the games won't do anything. The issue is similar to the CD streaming issue in early PC CD drives - the sound data is directly fed from the disc drive to the sound card (DSP in GameCube/Wii). Obviously, when not reading with a real drive, this can not work. The patch necessary for this to work would be similar, if not much more complicated, than the patches required for GameCube USB loading in the first place. Crediar announced he has no plans of working on such a patch, though.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
VashTS said:
maybe the games can be patched somehow to get around streaming audio? i don't know i'm just guessing.

Actually i assume they are already patched to get around the streaming audio. If they weren't you would get an error and the game wouldn't be playable at all. 100% audio streaming support would require some hardware modification as the drive directly sends data to the audio processor. Currently there's no such hardware solution that i know of, excecpt some of the better modchips that support audio steaming on discs. Theoretically it should be possible to to solve this by software, but i doubt it will ever be done. It's as compilcated as the whole DIOS MIOS project including usb loading, or even more complicated.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging by those restrictions, this loader will be likely to suck, and if he's not releasing it as open source, at least he better release the source so that someone can do it better.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly am just glad it's possible. It won't be too hard for me to get legitimate gamecube games. Just go to gamestop, buy a bunch, dump them, then take them back for a refund. Easy.

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
In the UK though basically NOWHERE sells GC games anymore, so ebay is the main option, and returning games on ebay is not quite as easy...

...not that I give a crap, as I have half of the games I like already, and I'm quite happy to buy the others
smile.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
MushGuy said:
Judging by those restrictions, this loader will be likely to suck, and if he's not releasing it as open source, at least he better release the source so that someone can do it better.
It was already confirmed that it won't be open source (see second last question here)
Also, restrictions don't make a certain something suck. Maybe not everyone will like it, but you can't do anything about that.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
I honestly am just glad it's possible. It won't be too hard for me to get legitimate gamecube games. Just go to gamestop, buy a bunch, dump them, then take them back for a refund. Easy.

Exactly. Crediar thinks he is stopping or preventing piracy, but no matter what, he is not.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
crwys said:
Exactly. Crediar thinks he is stopping or preventing piracy, but no matter what, he is not.
Or maybe he doesn't want to enable it in the first place. There's a difference between selling someone a loaded gun and selling them a gun and ammo separately.

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the point of making this if it only loads official discs, the wii already does that.

I'm sure someone will break this down and take the AP out of it.

I like crediar and preloader, but I agree with all my friends who are saying he made something useless here.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people bitch that they want a backup loader, then when they have a chance to get one they show their true colors.

it's not a backup loader that they want, it's a warez loader. in that case, it seems like all you outraged people should get together and program your own. his code, his rules.

also, anyone thinking that the AP will be cracked, there's plenty of wii things that haven't been.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
megazig said:
it's not a backup loader that they want, it's a warez loader. in that case, it seems like all you outraged people should get together and program your own. his code, his rules.

Actually I want a backup loader & I want the source to be released so it can be merged in with other loaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU