Hacking DIOS MIOS! GC ISO Loader proof of concept (Starfox Assault)

• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 149,900
  • Replies 682
Status
Not open for further replies.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can't merge DIOS MIOS with any other loaders, loaders are running on the PPC side DIOS MIOS on the ARM.

Even without the source loaders could support DIOS MIOS.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanGor said:
you can't merge DIOS MIOS with any other loaders, loaders are running on the PPC side DIOS MIOS on the ARM.

impossibleisnothing.jpg

Yeah this post is dumb and I should feel dumb.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Honestly, I'm glad the source won't be made available initially, for one reason alone: I don't care to see another bitch-fest by the GPL POLICE (
siren.gif
weeeOOOOweeeOOOOweeeOOOO
siren.gif
). Source will probably be made available once he gets bored and grows tired of maintaining it. Then people can bitch about not being in the credits.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SanGor said:

DIOS MIOS is the equivalent of CIOS.
There will be a loader equivalent too, which probably does the upfront patching.

Obviously you can't merge DIOS MIOS and CIOS, but you could merge the loader.

Laziness is the main reason. I hate swapping discs.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WiiBricker said:
adambomb said:
This anti-piracy thing is silly.
I don't see a point in him releasing it if he's worried about people pirating games from a dead console, since whatever countermeasures he implements will be worked around in due time.
Bullshit, piracy is piracy whether you pirate games of a dead or alive concole. The games still are copyrigthed by their owners and downloading them is illegal, which means DIOS MIOS without AP ----> more people pirate GC games -----> piracy would increase -----> DIOS MIOS is a piracy tool.
Then why does wiibrew host and endorse emulators? Isn't that the same as dios mios?

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ironically one of the reasons he's releasing it is in hopes that it may combat purchase of pirating tools such as the WODE. The idea is that people won't profit off of pirating. Then somewhere along the way it became a sealed door.

The only two bad thing about the WODE is that it involves opening the system and runs at 3x. The sound issue is always an issue.

FullMetalEnginee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SFenton said:
thesund0g said:
Show me a case where the creator still profits from a GC game, with the few exceptions of the New Play Control titles. All I ever see is secondhand, I haven't seen a new GC title since...well...years ago. It may be piracy all the same, but can you tell me who's really getting hurt (besides Crediar)?

Well, those secondhand shops are getting hurt. Those GC games they stock at low prices? They'll have to go even lower, costing them money. Then they can't buy more old games, so people can't buy them.

Piracy, no matter how old the game or system, how crappy the game, any factor, it's still piracy. You can dress up a dead salad (I'm not very inventive) however you want but at its core it's still a dead salad.

Do Second hand shops put that money on used games back into the industry? HELL NO if anything they hurt the industry since people won't be buying new games directly from the publisher. Many GC games are rare and can't be found in stores anymore or have ridiculous prices on ebay. Currently pirates can DOWNLOAD AND BURN GC ISO's to play on their Wii so it makes no difference beyond convenience for a HD loader to save a few steps.

The moral damage done for a GC HD loader is minimal and not significant enough for Nintendo to give a crap about compared to the real piracy going on the Wii.

QUOTE(Kayot @ Jul 21 2010, 10:42 PM)
Ironically one of the reasons he's releasing it is in hopes that it may combat purchase of pirating tools such as the WODE. The idea is that people won't profit off of pirating. Then somewhere along the way it became a sealed door.

The only two bad thing about the WODE is that it involves opening the system and runs at 3x. The sound issue is always an issue.

Agreed, people making money off piracy is far worse than just pirating itself where nobody is profiting off of it.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Too bad my old wii can't even play discs (retail, burned) it's just dead. Thats the whole reason why I use a USB loader for my games.

My new wii can play disc games but not backups so I have to use USB loading anyways lol.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Kayot said:
That was my propose originally. I'm glad that he listened this.
He can't stop piracy, but he can make it non-profitable.
I only can imagine how big money WODE sellers and developers getting. They even don't bothering much to fix bugs because they sell it like hot cakes!

QUOTE(Kayot @ Jul 22 2010, 10:42 AM) ... and runs at 3x. The sound issue is always an issue.
don't wanna frustrate you, but WODE plays ISOs at 6x speed. I mean from USB. I don't know about DVD-R playback speed, but why you need it if you have an USB?
wink.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sorgelig said:
[...]
Kayot said:
... and runs at 3x. The sound issue is always an issue.
don't wanna frustrate you, but WODE plays ISOs at 6x speed. I mean from USB. I don't know about DVD-R playback speed, but why you need it if you have an USB?
wink.gif

I think it does not restrict the loading on usb loading to 6x DVD speed, it just reads as fast as possible. And when using the wii's drive you will get 3x speed on backups, as it uses the same exploit that is used on softmodded Wiis. And that's why it can't read from dvd on the newer Wiis.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Well by locking it out, it won't combat the purchace of pirating tools. Not that I mind too much. I'm still divided on getting a WODE but not because of this. That LED screen is way to bright and I'd use WODEflow so I'd like to turn it off since I don't plan to use it.

I'm also not sure about the file system. I heard it uses WBFS, but what if I want GC games too? Can I use a second partition or does it all have to be in the same partition, and if so is there a way to make the Wii games smaller like WBFS and Fat32/NTFS mode do?

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Kayot said:
Well by locking it out, it won't combat the purchace of pirating tools. Not that I mind too much. I'm still divided on getting a WODE but not because of this. That LED screen is way to bright and I'd use WODEflow so I'd like to turn it off since I don't plan to use it.

I'm also not sure about the file system. I heard it uses WBFS, but what if I want GC games too? Can I use a second partition or does it all have to be in the same partition, and if so is there a way to make the Wii games smaller like WBFS and Fat32/NTFS mode do?
This is not a WODE thread.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
WiiPower said:
And when using the wii's drive you will get 3x speed on backups, as it uses the same exploit that is used on softmodded Wiis. And that's why it can't read from dvd on the newer Wiis.
Not because of speed. Pressed Wii DVD has different track layout where checksumms are placed to a different offset comparing to normal DVD and DVD-R. New drives just refuse to read anything than Wii DVD track layout (surprisingly, older drives are accepting ISO9660 format. Another ninty's fault?). That's why any normal DVD/DVD-R won't read on newer drives. Nothing to do with speed.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sorgelig said:
WiiPower said:
And when using the wii's drive you will get 3x speed on backups, as it uses the same exploit that is used on softmodded Wiis. And that's why it can't read from dvd on the newer Wiis.
Not because of speed. Pressed Wii DVD has different track layout where checksumms are placed to a different offset comparing to normal DVD and DVD-R. New drives just refuse to read anything than Wii DVD track layout (surprisingly, older drives are accepting ISO9660 format. Another ninty's fault?). That's why any normal DVD/DVD-R won't read on newer drives. Nothing to do with speed.
Nothing to do with track layout, but with the security code Wii and GC games have in the inner circle.
Old drives could read normal DVDs because Nintendo was planing a DVD video channel at some point in time. Read the hackmii article for DVDX to learn more. Since they don't seem to plan something like this anymore they remove DVD support from the drives.
I'm pretty sure it could be patched back in with a soldered modchip, but USB loaders and the likes make it unatractive for modchip companys to develop such a chip.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorgelig said:
WiiPower said:
What'd you get so hung up on speed for? He never said that read speed was the reason that DVDs could be read on older drives. I think you read his post backwards or something.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sorgelig said:
WiiPower said:

I was referring to the exploit.

exploit => DVD-Rs can be read, DVD+Rs need bitsetting
exploit => DVD-Rs are read at 3x speed

no matter if you use a softmod or a flatcable mod.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Slowking said:
Nothing to do with track layout, but with the security code Wii and GC games have in the inner circle.
Old drives could read normal DVDs because Nintendo was planing a DVD video channel at some point in time. Read the hackmii article for DVDX to learn more. Since they don't seem to plan something like this anymore they remove DVD support from the drives.
I'm pretty sure it could be patched back in with a soldered modchip, but USB loaders and the likes make it unatractive for modchip companys to develop such a chip.

The inner circle is BCA, which was used for all games on the GC but only a few games on the Wii seem to need it. The main protection for the Wii is the disc format.

http://debugmo.de/2008/11/anatomy-of-an-op...authentication/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But still using the save on a emulator, then back to switch is shady
    +2
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    Yea, that's the only thing I want to clarify actually. If someone has tried it with no problems.
    +1
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    If using the save on the emulator flags the save file. :/
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    Again, "using" I mean normal gameplay not modify it with other means like pokehex, etc
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    @BigOnYa, Can you help me clarify this thing somehow? Do you know someone that may know or have tried it?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Just play it on the emulation at home and portable use the normal save, I wouldn't risk anything if online is important to you
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My psychiatrist tried to help me once said it was mine 9 months later
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just ask in the forums if anybody has done it, I don't know of anybody who has, or would risk it.
    Baby daddy issues lol
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    this is what I did here. I hope I get some responces
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy was a little cray cray
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go cray cray on it like a coloring book
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got so mad my Bluetooth made me break a tooth
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    that's why you should get titanium implants
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm actually waiting on insurance to accept those ffs almost been waiting 2 weeks
    +1
    steal them off off a corpse
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mmm live persons more fun psi you're like 50 you should have a few :tpi:
    +1
    sold them all for meth\
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Meth implants the officer will never know sneaky flordians
    Meth pipe teeth, never loose your meth pipe again!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Butt implants are preferred teeth implants more reliable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's just my meth pipe vibrating
    +1
    Meth gator teams up with Godzilla, Godzilla uses his nuclear fire breath to light a meth lab on fire where meth gator gets imbued with radioactive meth.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Meth gator teams up with Godzilla, Godzilla uses his nuclear fire breath to light a meth lab on...