Hacking DIOS MIOS! GC ISO Loader proof of concept (Starfox Assault)

• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 149,894
  • Replies 682
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bad news, read Crediar's post again, he said if it's released as open source then it will be GPL. I made the same mistake.

robo989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems ridiculous to me to not allow backups.

In fact it makes sense to only allow backups and not burnt discs. People make far too much money selling rare games and generally cashing in on their "collectable" items.

Nintendo\Developers generate zero income from Gamecube games now as they are not in production and not sold new at retail.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong at all playing a gamecube backup that you do not legally own for this reason. Nobody gains by you playing a genuine copy except people who own the copies who fancy making a quick buck. Nintendo certainly don't benefit in any way shape or form.

Or have I missed something?
blink.gif

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
WiiPower said:
Bad news, read Crediar's post again, he said if it's released as open source then it will be GPL. I made the same mistake.
Any reason specifically as to why it was a mistake, and why you can't change the licensing on your additional code?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
toejam316 said:
WiiPower said:
Any reason specifically as to why it was a mistake, and why you can't change the licensing on your additional code?

Same mistake because i also had in mind that it's "if it's released then under the confitions of the GPL". We will see that license he will use, and then we can speculate if he used GPL code and if it's a GPL violation or not. I do remember that there was a sneek release that was a GPL violation and was removed because of this.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Well if it were me and I wanted to implement some sort of anti-piracy method, I'd just use the hardware code as a key to encrypt the contents of the iso. I'd also put in 7z compression and a scrubber to shrink the iso as much as possible. I'd try to upgrade WBFS to accept GC games and support said encryption and compression nativity. A tall order but well worth it.

If people are going to pirate they will pirate. Riivolution is an example of anti-pirate measures. It was a pain patching the English patch into Fatal Frame 4 when Riivolution could do it easyer but I didn't have a copy. Mind you I was later happy that I did it as I didn't bother installing Riivolution on my Wii (Family wii has it.) However it's a pain patching NSMB levels as I test them out but I accept that as I don't want to borrow the game from my sister's (20mi drive) and don't want to buy another copy that will collect dust after I'm done with it. So Riivolution isn't useful for someone like myself.

As for this, if it works I do have a few original GC games I can dump with it. Unfortunately the Gamestop (the 3 around me anyway) and CD Record Exchange don't carry GC games anymore and the classics are hard to come by short of E-Bay if your lucky. I've read enough negative reviews for GameFly to last me a life time. So this is good for people with huge GC collections, very select GC collections, or people that have a few good games and access to friends who have huge GC collections, or very select GC collections.

We will see.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
I honestly have no idea how this AP should be able to work.
He can't be using one of the Wii's keys, we all know them or at least are able to get them from our Wii.
He can't be using a key hardcoded in the binary - that would be plain stupid, even if obfuscated.
He can't be using an online authentication method - it would lock out all those without WiFi access on their Wii.

So what other options remain?
Regardless of how it is accomplished, if there really is a strict AP, it would just get reverse-engineered eventually. I think everyone in the Wii homebrew scene should know that by now.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Shhh, let him release it first then we'll see about getting our GC iso's on it. If we find a way, woot. If not wode. I'm still in denial that this will work. I hope it does, but as time goes by I find myself becoming cynical in general about everything.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
I absolutely have no problems with having the AP patches. I already have al the Gamecube games I wanted and you can get them pretty cheap nowadays.

Also, does the GC really have that many good titles that it is too expansive to buy them all? I don´t think it has.

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He can release this 10000000000000 times if he wants, if people that dont own GC games, yes from the dead console, and dont know anyone that does, cant use it, then he can play with it all he wants. This is just his way of showing us that it could be done, and for that you dont have to release something with restrictions, simple as that.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
True about the titles thing. I've only found a few that were any good. Wind Waker is Zelda and a must have. Not a fan of the 3D Mario games. Starfox is ok. Evolution is pretty good. Four Swords is also a classic. Zelda OoT, MQ, and MM are better as Wad Files and even better on my computer since I have a N64 to USB device. I mainly want this so I can put the games on the Wii. My server system is strong enough to emulate GC games at 60FPS through Dolphin. In a few more upgrades it'll probably be strong enough to emulate Wii games at full speed too.

B

Bladeforce

OP
Kayot said:
Well if it were me and I wanted to implement some sort of anti-piracy method, I'd just use the hardware code as a key to encrypt the contents of the iso. I'd also put in 7z compression and a scrubber to shrink the iso as much as possible. I'd try to upgrade WBFS to accept GC games and support said encryption and compression nativity. A tall order but well worth it.

If people are going to pirate they will pirate. Riivolution is an example of anti-pirate measures. It was a pain patching the English patch into Fatal Frame 4 when Riivolution could do it easyer but I didn't have a copy. Mind you I was later happy that I did it as I didn't bother installing Riivolution on my Wii (Family wii has it.) However it's a pain patching NSMB levels as I test them out but I accept that as I don't want to borrow the game from my sister's (20mi drive) and don't want to buy another copy that will collect dust after I'm done with it. So Riivolution isn't useful for someone like myself.

As for this, if it works I do have a few original GC games I can dump with it. Unfortunately the Gamestop (the 3 around me anyway) and CD Record Exchange don't carry GC games anymore and the classics are hard to come by short of E-Bay if your lucky. I've read enough negative reviews for GameFly to last me a life time. So this is good for people with huge GC collections, very select GC collections, or people that have a few good games and access to friends who have huge GC collections, or very select GC collections.

We will see.

Easy to bypass so wouldnt be worth the hassle of coding it

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kayot said:
Shhh, let him release it first then we'll see about getting our GC iso's on it. If we find a way, woot. If not wode. I'm still in denial that this will work. I hope it does, but as time goes by I find myself becoming cynical in general about everything.

Welcome to adulthood.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea, that's what I'm told anyway. Something about crushing student loan debt due to for-profit school that the government has no intentions of stopping while enforcing private loans with the same protections as government loans without the same rights.

Don't go to ITT it will ruin your life. All you'll get is a 50K hole in your pocket and a "You get out of it, what you put into it" BS mentality. Avoid any school that is nationally accredited. You want regional accreditation. There's a piece of good advice the school consolers wont give you.

Anyway, I became an adult a while back. My jaded outlook has taken root ever since ITT and has only grown the older I get. I can't do great things if the world wont let me. To sum it all up, things would have been better if I wouldn't of ever started using a computer. But I digress, hind-sight is 20/20 and there are no redo's. Let us just hope that my pessimism on this particular subject can be cured.

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just a question and I apologize if this has been answered already.
Is it certain that DIOS MIOS will work with SNEEK or UNEEK only?

(As I don't know anything about nand emulation,I trully hope that a noble soul releases a detailed tutorial about DIOS MIOS when the right time comes...)

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Basically, it requires SNEEK.

A Q&A is here.

For all intents and purposes it's not really worth it. It requires of ton of over head, has several flaws including sound related issues, and isn't going to be overly developed. He's mainly releasing it to prove that it can be done.

It shorts out the MIOS so you can no longer play GC backups since it effectively replaces the MIOS. So far it seems he has no intention of ever putting support for it back in. So to play GC backups, you'd have to pull out the SD card and reboot the Wii with your currently patched MIOS to play GC backups from DVD assuming you have a drive that can read them.

A few quote of interest are:
QUOTE said:
DIOS-MIOS will NOT be opensource.

QUOTE said:
Interesting. Are the game dumps dumped with DIOS MIOS going to have some kind of security/anti-piracy signature that allows DIOS MIOS only to launch them?
Obviously, I'm sure you will understand that I won't share ANY details.

QUOTE said:
Is the only compatibility issue you've run into the audio streaming? Any ideas for workarounds apart from the 3 wire solder?
Yes, well there could be a VERY complicated software way but I don’t plan on doing that.

And what's about people who's Wii DVD drive is broken?
Tough luck ...

So, if you can play your legitimate GC games now, you can play them via this. If not, you're out of luck as this doesn't help you one bit. Plus you probably can't dump them with another wii and have them work on yours since what every encryption he has in mind is to stop piracy. I can't see doing this if you have less then five games. SNEEK on the other hand looks good. I may use that one if it doesn't break the USB Loader or the GC backup loader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I wouldn't risk it, but do what you want. A console ban is loss of all online play, of any games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not my online Mario kart races!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I try to do a gdevelop event to make an enemy fire bullets if it is on screen and its in colision with a platform, but it doesnt work (and yes i downloaded the "is on screen" condition extension)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the enemy has the fire bullet behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can try in code, if player distance <1000
    then enemy fire bullets at player.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, lemme try
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use the ray casting behavior for the enemies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i cant find that behavior
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and nope the player distance condition didnt work
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses couch casting abilities to scare people away lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry that behaviour is just called raycast
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i still cant find it even by searching it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    oh wait
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Watch that video, it explains it, maybe its an extension, can't remember tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, its a condition
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a condition I need my prescriptions this will cause some friction
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ain't no prescription gonna help you. You need a 3 hour counseling session with Leo.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone get his nips rubbed the wrong way
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know we can hug :blush:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm getting tore up on this Killer Clowns game today, frustrating, sorry honey.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could piss salt in your wounds if it would make you feel any better
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, more pain, better the gain. Nuh its cool, I'm not angry at anyone/anything. I just haven't taken my meds yet, let me find my lighter...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can rub those wittle cheeks too if you want
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Aright, pick up some papers on your way over.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Aright, pick up some papers on your way over.