ROM Hack Difference about Pokemon HG/SS(J) and (E)

X-44

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed something different, You know when you go to your pal pad for the japanese one and when you add a friend code and it ask to put someones name? Well in the pokemon hg/ss(j) It only ask you for 5 characters name, But in the english one is 7. I tried adding my friend named "Stephen" on my pokemon(j) version its only 5 characters. But in the english one its 7 characters. Thing is the english version of pokemon hg and ss freezes. So I have to use the jap one and patch it with english. Any Ideas?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
X-44 said:
I noticed something different, You know when you go to your pal pad for the japanese one and when you add a friend code and it ask to put someones name? Well in the pokemon hg/ss(j) It only ask you for 5 characters name, But in the english one is 7. I tried adding my friend named "Stephen" on my pokemon(j) version its only 5 characters. But in the english one its 7 characters. Thing is the english version of pokemon hg and ss freezes. So I have to use the jap one and patch it with english. Any Ideas?

Well, you have 2 options.

1. You could buy the game.

2. Maybe just call him "Steve" in your Pal Pad. Geez.
wacko.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
X-44 said:
I think that's because Japanese characters are (like?) sounds/syllables.
So "S t e v e n" (6 letters) would be "St e ven" (3 characters)

Also I know many people don't mean it this way, but "Jap" is somewhat offensive.
If you don't want to type out Japanese, you should use either JP or (J).

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
Also I know many people don't mean it this way, but "Jap" is somewhat offensive.
If you don't want to type out Japanese, you should use either JP or (J).

True. People really shouldn't shorten it like that, unless they want to risk being branded as big a dick as Superman:

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=49

Tenza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It actually IS because of the way the languages are written. With Japanese katakana and hiragana, syllables can be expressed with a single character. In addition, there's common kanji characters which can represent entire words in a single character. Because of this, Japanese Pokemon games don't need more than 5 characters for a name to be entered in its entirety.

For example:

The name "Michael" requires 7 characters in a US copy

The same name in Japanese, "Maikeru" would only require 4; Ma i ke ru

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc