Gaming Pokemon HG + Metapod = game freeze

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys.
I'm playing the game on an R4 clone, which has worked perfectly so far.
I first encountered this strange glitch when opening the national pokedex where the game froze after hovering over the Metapod entry.
Second, the game froze when I was migrating Pokemon over from FR. All Pokemon migrated fine, except, you guessed it, Metapod. The game just kept hanging on the blue+black background in Pal Park.
Third, when trying to catch Metapod in HG or even when evolving Caterpie, the same thing: no Metapod and a game freeze.

Any ideas what may cause this? What about a fix? Why does the game not seem to recognize Metapod?

Last edited by SaddQ,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys.
I'm playing the game on an R4 clone, which has worked perfectly so far.
I first encountered this strange glitch when opening the national pokedex where the game froze after hovering over the Metapod entry.
Second, the game froze when I was migrating Pokemon over from FR. All Pokemon migrated fine, except, you guessed it, Metapod. The game just kept hanging on the blue+black background.
Third, when trying to catch Metapod in HG or even when evolving Caterpie, the same thing: no Metapod and a game freeze.

Any ideas what may cause this? What about a fix? Why does the game not seem to recognize Metapod?
Weird.. I'd suggest trying a different rom.
Or the sd card could be faulty, you have to test it with h2testw to make sure it's not the one causing you this problem.
You can also try using your HG save in a DS emulator and do the things that resulted in a game/system freeze. If it happens, then something is up with your save.

Reactions: SaddQ

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weird.. I'd suggest trying a different rom.
Or the sd card could be faulty, you have to test it with h2testw to make sure it's not the one causing you this problem.
You can also try using your HG save in a DS emulator and do the things that resulted in a game/system freeze. If it happens, then something is up with your save.
I'll try the latter option, as I suspect something is wrong with the save.
If so, could a Hex-editor restore the save to normal?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try the latter option, as I suspect something is wrong with the save.
If so, could a Hex-editor restore the save to normal?
Don't think so, as it's difficult to read/determine what does what. PKHeX has an option to verify the hash/checksum. Though i'd still test it on an emulator..

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As a follow-up to the story, I can say that the issue has been remedied. Apparently, not the flash card, the microSD or the save game was the culprit, but the actual .nds file.
I used DeSmuMe to test the save and evolving Caterpie into Metapod worked perfectly.
Then, I deleted the .nds of HG on the microSD - which was strangely not able to be copied to another drive - and replaced it by another file (with the exact same name...)
...And it worked!

I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be a microSD issue after all, but, for now it works perfectly again. Just a case of a .nds file getting "compromised" or partly corrupted.

Thank God I am able to continue migrating my complete (besides that darn Celebi) national dex from gen 3.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a follow-up to the story, I can say that the issue has been remedied. Apparently, not the flash card, the microSD or the save game was the culprit, but the actual .nds file.
My first suggestion is to try a different nds rom file.
I used DeSmuMe to test the save and evolving Caterpie into Metapod worked perfectly.
Then, I deleted the .nds of HG on the microSD - which was strangely not able to be copied to another drive - and replaced it by another file (with the exact same name...)
...And it worked!

I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be a microSD issue after all, but, for now it works perfectly again. Just a case of a .nds file getting "compromised" or partly corrupted.
I would still suggest testing the sd card with h2testw to make sure it's completely safe to use. A defective sd card will only cause problems in the long run..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte