OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I soft modded my Wii console...
I didn't exactly follow any one particular tutorial,
I'm the kinda guy who like to figure thing out for them self.
I did however watch a couple of outdated tutorials on YouTube
just to give me an idea where to start...
But this is the tutorial I wrote for myself:

"Nintendo Wii Softmod Tutorial"

Step 1: Format & Update

Step 2: LetterBomb (https://please.hackmii.com/)

Step 3: Install Homebrew & BootMii

Step 4: Backup Nand & Key

Step 5: Install PriiLoader

Step 6: d2x cIOS Installer
- v8 d2x-v8-final

Step 7: Multi Mod Manager
- load another ios (249)
- wad manager
- install usb loader gx wad

Step 8: AutoBoot USB Loader GX
- launch priiloader
- install file (ForwarderV5.1.dol)
- settings (installed file & autoboot)

Step 9: Other PriiLoader Options
- Block Disc Updates
- Block Online Updates
- Replace Heatlh Screen with BackMenu
- Auto Press A at Health screen

I also created a folder with everything I would need on the SD card (excluding LetterBomb)
as I expect to do this again not so far in the future...
I got everything working and able to play both GBC and Wii roms...

Did I do okay? Is there anything to improve on?

I heard that the Wii servers are going to be or already have been discontinued...
Whats the best way of updating the system menu to 4.3 offline?
I did some looking into this a while back but there are some games with the 4.3 update within them,
One game that I can remember is Black Ops 2, is this right?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Some games need a CIOS with base 57 (instead of 56) to work. Games like guitar hero for example. You can either install it to slot 249 overwriting what you have, or to slot 250 and you'll need to configure games on an as needed basis to use slot to 250

If u use modmii it will save a copy of ninty files to its temp folder for future use if/when ios's stop being available online. But as you said u can always get the files off a disc with the update on it.

Edit; I should add that all in all you did alright. It's rare to find someone who doesn't follow a well established guide and doesn't screw it up, lol, but you did good. I would still advise you use modmii or the complete softmod guide to avoid potential mistakes, but so far so good!

Last edited by XFlak,

NeMesiS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Very Niiiice... (Bad Borat Impersonation)

I vaguely remember coming across this a year or more ago,
Dunno why I never gave it go (at that time I had no clue where to start)
I'm sure you've been told before, Very Impressive...

Couple questions, regards to ModMii
I had a bit of a play around, trying to simulate different scenarios.

When I select 4.0 version it recommends 4.1, but when I select 4.3 it then recommends 4.3
Why is this? I'm thinking its recommended to upgrade the dash but not to downgrade for some reason.
Is 4.1 preferred over 4.3?

And is there any benefit in partioning the HDD as FAT32 and NTFS? Can the Wii and/or USBloader see more than one partition?

Either way yea, I'll definitely be using this on my next softmod

Some games need a CIOS with base 57 (instead of 56) to work. Games like guitar hero for example. You can either install it to slot 249 overwriting what you have, or to slot 250 and you'll need to configure games on an as needed basis to use slot to 250

To understand this correctly, if I reinstall to slot 249 do I need to worry about configuring games to slot 250?

Edit; I should add that all in all you did alright. It's rare to find someone who doesn't follow a well established guide and doesn't screw it up, lol, but you did good. I would still advise you use modmii or the complete softmod guide to avoid potential mistakes, but so far so good!

Thanks mate, I've been modding OG Xbox's since like 2003/4... Thought it was about time to explore new horizons!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Wawa wee wah! (even worse Borat impression, lol)

Basically 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 are all the same, all they did was add anti-homebrew protection which can be circumvented now anyway. Any time you install a new system menu you run the risk of brick or semi-brick (risk is minor, basically risk of power loss at the exact wrong moment). Because of this, if you're already on any of the aforementioned system menu versions modmii will leave it as is in order to have a lighter touch.

For wii purposes fat32 is superior, it can accommodate neek emulated Nands if u decide to go that route eventually. The only real reason to go full or partial ntfs is if u use the same hard drive to store other content with individual files larger than 4GB (I. E. Ultra HD movies is the only example I can realistically come up with), but if the HDD is dedicated for the wii I would recommend 100% fat32

You are correct, if u install d2x cios with base ios 57 to slot 249, it should work in all scenarios. Once upon a time base 56 was thought to be slightly faster, but it was never definitively proven and any difference would be minor anyway, so because base 57 has better compatibility nowadays it's really all u need, all the other cios's don't hurt anything if u want to install to other slots for testing purposes but really all u need is d2x v8 final base 57 installed to slot 249.

Last edited by XFlak,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: the internet