Devotion announced for GOG, then gets blacklisted from the storefront hours later

Logo_GoG.png

Red Candle Games can't seem to catch a break with their horror game Devotion. Last year, the game was released on Steam, but was quickly pulled within its launch week, after players found that the game had a poster that compared Xi Jinping--the Chinese president--to Winnie the Pooh. While Red Candle Games stated that the inclusion of the poster was due to a technical issue, the game remains pulled from sale on Steam to this day. Following the incident, Devotion's publisher in China, Indievent, lost its business license, and while a direct reason was never specified outside of "violating relevant laws", it was implied that allowing Devotion to release with the said image included in its files was why.

After being unable to find success on Steam, it seemed that Devotion would be able to release on GOG, as Red Candle Games announced the game for a December 18th launch. However, shortly after said reveal, GOG put out an official statement saying they had decided to refuse Devotion to be listed on their storefront, due to "receiving many messages from gamers". The decision to block the game from sale has garnered backlash, with "fellow indie developer" Glass Bottom Games demanding CD Projekt Red and GOG remove their upcoming title SkateBIRD from the platform.

:arrow: Source

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"yeah pooh threatened us and we shat ourselves"
Yup, if a company came out and said "yeah, the CCP threaten to remove us from their country, and we love money, so we removed it", I'd probably respect them for being honest, I wouldn't like it, but I'd at least respect them for being honest.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Steam have some very notable comments on the matter over the years, and some utter nonsense in it as well (my favourite being when they likened second hand games to used products nobody would want, as though as it was not code).
As opposed to nobody else commenting on it because nobody else has even given it a second thought? I know we've discussed it before, but since we're on the topic of GOG, how would digital game resale work with DRM-free platforms and games? The end user can just resell millions of copies after one purchase? Seems like you'd be forcing every developer to adopt intrusive and uncrackable DRM (which doesn't exist yet). This would screw over indie devs big time, and piss off a lot of gamers in the process.

And yes, there are quite a few DRM-free games on Steam, as well.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yup, if a company came out and said "yeah, the CCP threaten to remove us from their country, and we love money, so we removed it", I'd probably respect them for being honest, I wouldn't like it, but I'd at least respect them for being honest.

I seriously doubt the CCP granted approval for GOG to operate in China in the first place.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I seriously doubt the CCP granted approval for GOG to operate in China in the first place.
They had to have. No business operates in China without the government's say so.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As opposed to nobody else commenting on it because nobody else has even given it a second thought? I know we've discussed it before, but since we're on the topic of GOG, how would digital game resale work with DRM-free platforms and games? The end user can just resell millions of copies after one purchase? Seems like you'd be forcing every developer to adopt intrusive and uncrackable DRM (which doesn't exist yet). This would screw over indie devs big time, and piss off a lot of gamers in the process.

And yes, there are quite a few DRM-free games on Steam, as well.

Same way resale works with DVDs (which are effectively DRM free). That is to say basically honour system, though some kind of effective key/license storage server would also be an option.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those Communists think they rule the world, but they don't rule the internet! At least, I don't think so... Anyway, they can't shut up every single person who bad-mouths their leaders. As long as there are people, there will be at least one who has a different opinion from everyone else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice