Developing (1) Disc to play all of your games of your HD with

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by wyndcrosser, Oct 13, 2009.

1. wyndcrosser
    OP

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is my concept...

I'm working out a potential use of having (1) disc that comes with all the data used for allowing you to play the games off your HD, without having to put in the "real" or "backup" disc to make each game work.

I haven't noticed anyone trying this.... so I'm working it myself. If it's not full possible, I'll drop the subject. If anyone have an opinion or says "it's been worked on --- FAIL!", tell me please.

Concept - For those that are lost.

Xbox + (1) DVD-DL (contains the files needed to start the dvd playing, but with the files for every game on your HD) = Never having to switch discs.

Wynd

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    So basically, you will install a custom BIOS and then make a disk with a HD loader on it?
    Is there not apps already that allow HD loading?

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    As far as I know, loading games from the HDD requires the disk to be in before it even starts up. I think it will check the CRC and security sectors of both the drive image and the disk itself to make sure they match before loading the game.

If you can somehow make it think that your master disk is the same as every game you try to load, then it might work, but I don't imagine it's that difficult to prevent such things from working. Good luck to you though [​IMG]

4. iNFiNiTY

Member iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    This is stupid you can't even run your own code on the 360.

5. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Yeah, at 9 GB's a pop, most people wouldn't want to do that since 360 owners are still limited to a 120GB hard drive unless Microsoft decides to offer larger capacities in the near future.

6. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

The Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 360 has the 250GB HD on it, and although it's not being sold alone right NOW I wouldn't be surprised to see it sold by itself after the CoD MW2 hype dies off (i.e. they sell all the special edition 360s).

7. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Once the 250gb comes out wouldn't you be able to just buy your own and swap it in?

8. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    They aren't releasing standalone 250gb drives.

EDIT: At least, not for a while.

9. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm not talking about standalone drives. I'm talking buying the equivalent of the model used in the 360 branded HDD and doing the swap yourself. You could do it for the older HDD drives because people were able to extract the necessary info for the drives. Once the 250 gb model comes out, the info for that drive will also be out.

10. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Oh, of course.

11. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If you had a disc with the CRC and security sectors for all your games, it might work.

12. Originality

United Kingdom
    You CAN run your own code on a 360 - homebrew functionality is possible on a 360 that has a dashboard of 2.0.7xxx or lower. Once the 7 became an 8 though, all current hacks were patched over.

We can probably expect to see unofficial 250GB drives on sale from December - I imagine it won't take them long to find that tiny code like they did for the 120GB drives. As for official ones, they'll probably be priced so high that nobody will want them, when M$ eventually do decide to sell them separately.

And it's definitely impossible to get a single disk with CRC/security sectors for all games. You can only ever have one value for CRC, and a single bit changed anywhere on the disk will change that CRC. What might be possible is to try and change the way it searches/thinks. This would probably require a change somewhere in the firmware or something, but if you can, then it becomes possible.

13. mpg187

Member mpg187 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I was thinking this, since it checks for the original disk if one could make a disk that works for all the games they have.

14. wyndcrosser
    OP

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Still working on this... coming along nicely. However, school is affecting me as this is my first semester in college.

Wynd

15. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    What progress have you made?

The ss.bin from the 250GB HDs has been online the last week or so. This is the file you need to spoof a non 360 HD.

All third party HDs are supposedly blocked with this months dash update.

16. Originality

United Kingdom
    It'll suck if it's true - I have 2 empty HD cases and have been waiting for the ss.bin before forking out for a pair of drives to spoof. If the update blocks them, then the cases are now useless (except in older xboxes).

17. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I think hard drives are safe its just 3rd party memory cards that M$ are blocking.

18. Originality

United Kingdom
    Indeed, that's what I've heard, although Datel apparantly are updating their memory cards to bypass this update, offering owners of their current cards to send it in for free and get the updated version in return.

The Datel card looked interesting, being able to use any size MicroSD as its memory.

19. mpg187

Member mpg187 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    F*** microsoft, that's anti trust. It's a free market and other companies can selll hard drives and memory cards.

M$ trying to stifle competition and make you buy their products at higher prices...

20. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Any progress?