Gaming Developing (1) Disc to play all of your games of your HD with

wyndcrosser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my concept...

I'm working out a potential use of having (1) disc that comes with all the data used for allowing you to play the games off your HD, without having to put in the "real" or "backup" disc to make each game work.

I haven't noticed anyone trying this.... so I'm working it myself. If it's not full possible, I'll drop the subject. If anyone have an opinion or says "it's been worked on --- FAIL!", tell me please.

Concept - For those that are lost.

Xbox + (1) DVD-DL (contains the files needed to start the dvd playing, but with the files for every game on your HD) = Never having to switch discs.

Wynd

D

Deleted-171178

So basically, you will install a custom BIOS and then make a disk with a HD loader on it?
Is there not apps already that allow HD loading?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As far as I know, loading games from the HDD requires the disk to be in before it even starts up. I think it will check the CRC and security sectors of both the drive image and the disk itself to make sure they match before loading the game.

If you can somehow make it think that your master disk is the same as every game you try to load, then it might work, but I don't imagine it's that difficult to prevent such things from working. Good luck to you though
biggrin.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, at 9 GB's a pop, most people wouldn't want to do that since 360 owners are still limited to a 120GB hard drive unless Microsoft decides to offer larger capacities in the near future.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
The Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 360 has the 250GB HD on it, and although it's not being sold alone right NOW I wouldn't be surprised to see it sold by itself after the CoD MW2 hype dies off (i.e. they sell all the special edition 360s).

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
Jiggah said:
Once the 250gb comes out wouldn't you be able to just buy your own and swap it in?
They aren't releasing standalone 250gb drives.

EDIT: At least, not for a while.

I'm not talking about standalone drives. I'm talking buying the equivalent of the model used in the 360 branded HDD and doing the swap yourself. You could do it for the older HDD drives because people were able to extract the necessary info for the drives. Once the 250 gb model comes out, the info for that drive will also be out.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
triassic911 said:
Jiggah said:
Once the 250gb comes out wouldn't you be able to just buy your own and swap it in?
They aren't releasing standalone 250gb drives.

EDIT: At least, not for a while.

I'm not talking about standalone drives. I'm talking buying the equivalent of the model used in the 360 branded HDD and doing the swap yourself. You could do it for the older HDD drives because people were able to extract the necessary info for the drives. Once the 250 gb model comes out, the info for that drive will also be out.
Oh, of course.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You CAN run your own code on a 360 - homebrew functionality is possible on a 360 that has a dashboard of 2.0.7xxx or lower. Once the 7 became an 8 though, all current hacks were patched over.

We can probably expect to see unofficial 250GB drives on sale from December - I imagine it won't take them long to find that tiny code like they did for the 120GB drives. As for official ones, they'll probably be priced so high that nobody will want them, when M$ eventually do decide to sell them separately.

And it's definitely impossible to get a single disk with CRC/security sectors for all games. You can only ever have one value for CRC, and a single bit changed anywhere on the disk will change that CRC. What might be possible is to try and change the way it searches/thinks. This would probably require a change somewhere in the firmware or something, but if you can, then it becomes possible.

wyndcrosser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still working on this... coming along nicely. However, school is affecting me as this is my first semester in college.

Wynd

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
What progress have you made?

The ss.bin from the 250GB HDs has been online the last week or so. This is the file you need to spoof a non 360 HD.

All third party HDs are supposedly blocked with this months dash update.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Indeed, that's what I've heard, although Datel apparantly are updating their memory cards to bypass this update, offering owners of their current cards to send it in for free and get the updated version in return.

The Datel card looked interesting, being able to use any size MicroSD as its memory.

mpg187

Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
F*** microsoft, that's anti trust. It's a free market and other companies can selll hard drives and memory cards.

M$ trying to stifle competition and make you buy their products at higher prices...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1