1. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Blessed are the patient.

Couldn't have said it better. Considering how he praised the Ooblets devs for "defending" their decision to make the game an EGS exclusive and how coldly they treated the people backing them when they said they have no legitimate way of playing the game via EGS, both those devs and Epic can keep being arrogant SOBs until they start begging at which point no mercy will be shown.

Say what you will about Valve, but they're at least doing more than Epic ever would with VR, supporting HTPC users like myself in more ways than one, and supporting Linux for those that have the time to fiddle around with the infinite number of Distros out there!. That's why I've been suspecting that Epic will include in some contract that Unreal Engine 5 games must have some form of exclusivity to the EGS, given how much of a hypocritical asswipe Sweeney was and still is to this day!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Eh, Citizen Kane will still be the best movie in cinema snobs' eyes!

Kwyjor, Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee and Xzi like this.
  2. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Honestly I had no idea these were released, I only remember them being announced.
    Shame that the DBH port is terrible, it's probably the only one I'm interested in.

3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I remember reading that during their first sale it triggered their anti-fraud warning, some from a store perspective it can make a difference.

While I understand why they're doing the exclusivity deals, the problem is that it made people hate the service and could have longer term consequences if they're unable to shake the negative opinions even as they improve.

It also doesn't help IMO when the argument is 'competition', since this type of agreement can be anti-competitive from a consumer perspective, obviously devs/publishers may love it. It may also cause other problems e.g. if someone is reliant on gift cards, they may not be able to get a game on Epic.

I think they could have done better from a consumer perspective e.g. give every game a discount which the store pays for (the dev/publisher gets the full amount), so it's cheaper than steam, but it's still available on Steam at 'full price'.

There was also a tweet in the webpage I linked to where Tim Sweeney said:
    "More proof that the multi-store future is here now"

So denying a game a place on the store because they refused exclusivity is hypocritical IMO, don't give them the payment fine, but they should still allow the game on there if they consider it 'good enough' to even make the offer in the first place.

4. Reiten

Reiten Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    I was also curious about epic taking a smaller cut from the devs, and wanted to see if the consumers would see anything from that. The short answer was no. Boarderlands 3 was sold for 60$ on Epic and it's now sold for 60$ on Steam, so even if the devs get more, the consumers don't see anything from that. Honestly, even a symbolic 1$ cheaper would have been a nice gesture, that epic was different, but that didn't happen, so it's mostly bragging with little substance.

Last edited by Reiten, May 26, 2020
    DarknessPlay3r and Silent_Gunner like this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    From 5 people to 10? Though more seriously do you really expect the install base, play options and computer power requirements to lead to VR being a driving force in either money or creativity in the next few years?
    Equally if you have a effectively infinite warehouse/shelf space and can thus afford to play to a fad and cost you nothing much in the process why not?

People seek support everywhere and I while be loathe to drive people to reddit, even more so if devs are not inclined to be there, it would appear to be another option of at least the technically viable variety.

Steam telling me I can't buy second hand games and that is the way it should be is akin to pissing in my face and telling me it is raining as far as I am concerned, and they don't have a great history either.

On hate. People have an irrational fondness for steam. They will get over it in the long run. Just see what happened to steam (as mentioned elsewhere they were hard to like at first, and I am still not sure why people do other than it either being a cult or people not remembering how good it was or could be). Epic then playing the long game.

On "no exclusivity, no deal". If we can't come to a business agreement then walk away. Sucks when it happens but happens often enough.

Kwyjor likes this.
  6. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    I bought a copy of heavy rain on ps3, but I didn' like it so I quickly sold my copy, thanks goodness someone still bought it. I never really liked those adventure games, but I am willing to give detroit a chance, the premise is actually interesting.

7. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Fan

Canada
  8. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Yeah, some shitballs fucking hacked their forums several years ago
    Mass Effect's and Dead Space's studios were acquired by EA, making them effectively EA's.

9. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Canada
    Ok but
    Doesn't Origin have non-EA games?

10. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    These "games" are more like interactive movies than games. You dont even need to play they, you can watch them on youtube!

11. Silent_Gunner

United States
    I'm sure they do, but remember, this is Origin, not Steam.

12. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Canada
    How sure is sure?

I am not anti-Valve. I love Valve. I love the way they run their workplace, their flat management structure. I love that they give so much free food and snacks to all their staff. It's cool that Greek government Economics man used to work there. Steam is the best launcher software by far and it has an excellent community and Steam sales at least used to have good value for money.

You make a good point about Linux. I did not think of that. Valve's strong supprt of Linux is actually a great thing to allow for real competition of Microsoft.

Steam is still the best, but a business is a business. Valve is not a charity. They need some checks and balances. They need competition and Epic is delivering on that.

Update: Charities need checks and balances too but you probably know what I mean.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee, May 26, 2020
  13. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    People started insulting the dev quite badly due to his choice. Sure, he could have done it in a better way, but the fanbase was extremely toxic. Insulting him, his wife, wishing him dead and the wife raped? Not cool. All because of a game's store front.

14. Silent_Gunner

United States
    I'm under no illusions. The moment Valve were to go full anti-consumer (which some would argue they already did and continue to do), they'd lose my support. That being said though, all Epic really has is Fortnite nowadays, and I can't say I hear about it as often as I used to. Buying timed exclusives also isn't going to do shit. I mean, think about it: with the Yakuza games, before 0 was ported to Steam, followed by both Kiwami 1 and 2, you HAD to own a PS3/PS4 to play these games. Now, with the Steam release? Let alone the Xbox release? It makes the need to use a piece of hardware less. Same thing with services.

If I wanted to play Borderlands 3, I could just wait until I've played through the second one, Pre-Sequel, and some others in my backlog, and what do you know? It's on Steam now!

The only company that still seems to do true exclusives is Nintendo, and even then, with them releasing mobile versions of their games, even I have to wonder what the Big N's plan is post-Switch. Either way, you can only (legitimately, anyways. Emulation is still a thing.) experience Nintendo-made games on Nintendo systems and services, and they haven't been forced to go third party by a string of facepalm-worthy decisions like a certain company for whom it's been AGES since they've even made a home console!

15. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    If VR was restricted to PC only, probably not. I fully expect both PS5 and XBSX to support various headsets though, which will definitely help to speed up adoption by the mainstream. Being that the minimum requirement on PC is a GTX 970, that kind of power will also become a lot more accessible in the next few years (and is already fairly cheap on the AMD side). Counting PC options only, there are more than 2 million VR HMDs out there already. All combined, I'd bet on the the console/PC VR market hitting an install base of about 10 million within three years, five if I'm being conservative.

Depends on what you consider "viable," because they only give generic advice such as "restart your PC/update your graphics drivers" which fix none of the game-specific issues that are far more common.

16. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Canada
    I am certain that one day Nintendo games like Super Mario will be on PlayStation and PC.

17. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Blaming your fanbase and supporters would be like if Walmart said their shareholders were at fault a metaphorical leak of Doug McMillon talking to someone like Joe Biden did to that one guy he called fat. It's biting the hand that feeds you, and shows a lack of resilience in the face of adversity that the dev(s) knew they were gonna get by using the same language other SJWs and those that share their ideology use to paint all criticism, and it also demonstrates a lack of self awareness. Why should people back your KS/GoFundMe/IndieGogo/other fundraising campaign if they feel that your attitude is not representative of what they view as a leader who's competent, intelligent, wise, willing to get their hands dirty, to bleed in the trenches with those he/she depends upon?

Time will tell. If Nintendo can bounce back from the Wii U and not fuck up their next venture after the Switch, maybe they will have a future alongside Sony.

They need something better than a Tegra X1 chip and a total overhaul of their servers, though!

18. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    I wouldn't count on that happening unless/until Sony puts all their first-party titles on PC and Xbox. Ninty won't budge until somebody else proves that additional software sales can make up for lost hardware sales, especially given their profit margin on each console sold.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  19. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Canada
    Nintendo won't last in the hardware scene. At least not for home consoles.

20. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Nintendo is also selling a legitimate feature set in the Switch not found on other devices in being able to take your games with you wherever...which doesn't matter all that much with the current situation with the coronavirus pandemic, but it'll still be awesome when things go back to normal!

Xzi likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - exclusivity, Detroit, Become