NULL

Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human, and Beyond: Two Souls are being ported to PC

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 20, 2019.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    But of course, people will defend them, acting as though they're infallible

2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    It seems some misunderstand the aggravation..

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yup, defending crappy company tactics ad infinitum. I'd rather pirate their games.

4. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    i am definitely going to pick these games up, but that's until the heat on epic dies down and they remove the spyware.

5. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, who do they think they are, Ubisoft when they used Starforce? :lol:

DarthDub and Darksabre72 like this.
  6. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Story driven experiences like this don't interest me at all, I play games for the gameplay.

7. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    SUPER excited for this, but I'll wait out the year and buy it on Steam.

I have nothing against Epic, I would rather just keep all my games in one place (as much as possible).

8. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    Ya, I suppose that's a fair point that epic games store exclusivity guarantees no Linux support. Though the lack of so many features I'm used to on steam is what hurts me. No cloud saves, no review system, ect.

Last edited by jt_1258, Mar 21, 2019
  9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It was fun playing these games 5 years ago and detriot ps4 Pro and pc high settings you won't be able to tell the difference

10. Dothackjhe

Dothackjhe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Philippines
    I guess I was referring to those 2 games apart from Detroit about getting better visual makeover for PC.

11. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    How dare you guys taint the gracious and powerful name of Epic Games.

One Must Fall. Jill of the Jungle. Jazz Jackrabbit - 1 AND 2.

This is the Epic Games I know, strong games!

... fucking ZZT, man! Tim Sweeney's first game! I made so many games in that!

12. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    It is pretty funny that it was free from a console exclusive, only to become a launcher exclusive. At the same time, Microsoft looks like they are going to put all their games on the Switch.

lol

Anyway, you should have post this instead.

True and cloud gaming looks to be heading the same way. These things are meant to be more convenient, but stuff like this is just defeating the purpose.

Memoir and Xzi like this.
  13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Bullshit. They just don't want to spend the dev time trying to compete with Steam's already-established feature set. Even Origin crushes Epic's launcher in that regard. They've made it clear that they don't give a fuck about customer opinion, however, and are intent on using the hamfisted strategy of appealing only to greedy publishers instead. In the process, falsely assuming that people won't turn to piracy as a more convenient alternative if their launcher provides nothing more than a basic HTTP browser. Epic believes they can half-ass it and people are too stupid to notice.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 21, 2019
  14. SG854

SG854 Max Volume

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Who’s they? Reread what I typed. I’m not specifically talking about epic in my post.

15. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Epic are the only ones playing the third-party exclusives card. Origin sticks to EA-published games for its exclusives, and the MS store does the same for Microsoft IPs (though even they shared Halo MCC with Steam). If Epic made only Epic-published games exclusives to their launcher, there wouldn't be nearly this level of uproar over it.

16. SG854

SG854 Max Volume

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Why would there be an uproar? How is that epic fault. Doesn’t the developer choose what store front their games are on.

Nintendo has an exclusive library on there online store front. With exclusive 3rd party games. Atlus games like etrian odyssey. Would you complain about them?

Last edited by SG854, Mar 21, 2019
  17. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The publisher* decides the storefronts. There's an uproar for several reasons, not the least of which is that The Outer Worlds has had a Steam page for some time now, and still does as of this writing.

Consoles have always had first and third-party exclusives, and though I'm not the biggest fan, that's not the same thing. Console exclusives are hardware exclusives. Epic launcher exclusives are locked to their underdeveloped, under-featured, unsecured software. That has access restricted by region, nonetheless. It's a downgrade from Steam for far too many reasons to list.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 21, 2019
  18. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    No matter what people say, there ARE problems with Epic Store.

The store itself is a mess, presenting less than a quarter of the options Steam offers for absolutely no rime or reason. The company's attitude of securing exclusives when exclusives are destined to fail on the PC market (which is why it was abandoned as a concept years ago, see even Origin allowing some games on Steam) is a bad move in itself.

As for the digging the Epic Store does, I've taken a look at this wonderful program called Process Monitor. You know, the program that shows process and that, with a little bit of observation, tells you what they do ? It tells interesting things about what the launcher digs. Your full registry, despite not needing it. Your full list of certificates, which isn't needed either. Your Internet navigators, too, whichever one you use. The names, uses of other running processes as well as the way you use them, even if they aren't related to games in any way. Oh, and it looks at anything related to other stores too, Steam included, but that might be related to gathering info about your gaming habitudes, so I can at most understand it. And when it does all that, you think it's over ? Of course not.

It plants tracking info. Something not even Facebook or Google dared to do, despite their incessant digging on your habitudes. And this tracking info grabs EVERYTHING. Anything you do on said computer. Anything your micro can grab, even if it is supposed to be shut down. Anything your camera can grab, even if it is supposed to be shut down. Any contact your computer has with other machines (both other computers, smartphones and tablets), in order to grab information on them too. And to do this, it hides itself into .dll, corrupting some in the process, making others being recognized as viruses and making them being blocked by your resident cleaner, and slowing your computer as a whole.

The simple fact a certain Tencent (Chinese company known for owning the local equivalent of Facebook, and having their money in a lot of companies to grab some back to their home country, since big Chinese companies are under direct obligation to "serve their country's interests first and foremost", which is the problem people faced with Huawei recently) is a major shareholder and has enough monies to tip the balance in it might make you move away from that. But hey, "concurrence is good", right ?

19. SG854

SG854 Max Volume

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Take it up with the publisher for releasing on epic. They are more then happy to release on epic store front because they benefit money wise. Blame them for greed if that’s how you see it.

It’s the publisher going the anti consumer route for releasing on epic, they’re aware of the complaints of the epic store front. They analyze and pay attention when deciding which store front to release on. If they are going anti consumer then don’t support the publisher.

20. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Oh, I'm fully aware of who is at fault for the decision, and that's why I don't intend to buy the game until it comes to Steam. I'll play it at launch though. Call it...early pre-order access. :ph34r:

NULL