Homebrew Desume Ds emulator for 3ds [request]

Sanic666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
since we got a psx emulator working why not have a ds emulator and is it possible to get it hardware emulated like nintendont on the wii u?

Reactions: Margen67

Sanic666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
I looked into getting DeSmuME to work on the 3DS and I eventually got it to compile but it won't run unless someone rewrites a full pthread wrapper for the 3DS. aliaspider wrote a limited wrapper for pcsx_rearmed but it lacks mutex and conditional support. I lack the working knowledge of the 3DS' OS but I can attempt to work on it. He also wrote a nearly complete wrapper for the PSP Vita so I can look into that and try making a 3DS implementation.

So yes, a NDS emulator can compile but its complexity is a bit too much. It sucks that Nintendo wrote their own OS instead of using a *nix system because it's all so foreign to me :(

Update on DeSmuME

So I worte the pthread wrapper (totally untested, ofc) but I've hit a pretty substantial issue. The build crashes when loading a ROM due to an obscure issue in gcc 4.9 (the compiler). I can try to downgrade the build tools to devKitARM r42 but that lacks 3DS support. I might try to get creative with it but as of right now this is a pretty large hurdle unless devKitARM updates to gcc5 (unlikely) :\

Im asking since i saw this in the retroarch thread and i thought this topic deserved more attention

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People really need to:
1) Understand what's realistic with the hardware they have especially considering the relatively limited state of 3DS homebrew compared to that of the Wii (this is still improving) and
2) Understand the difference between an emulator and a virtual machine with minor emulated components like Nintendont is because these "requests" as of late have gotten ridiculous.

Moving on this is extremely redundant because unlike with Nintendont, which started to provide Gamecube support on the Wii U (and was only usable on Wii as a side benefit due to relying on vWii) there is already full, flawless DS support on all 3DS hardware.

Also, as far as full-on emulation is concerned I believe somebody is already working on a rudimentary Desmume port. Just don't expect it to run reasonably at all. Even on PC it's one hell of a demanding emulator.

Last edited by Rockhoundhigh,
Reactions: Margen67 and ric.

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
Even if we could (and we can't) compile desmume to 3ds and make it work, it will be crappy and very laggy because lack of gpu access.

D

Deleted User

Someone seriously needs to lock this thread quickly!

My advice, @Sanic666 :
Don't try to hold in your poop for a long time, otherwise the poop'll fill up to your head, and that's where we get shitty ideas from! :P

Reactions: AmandaRose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up