United States

xxdeathxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then pretty much every gaming development team out there would be out of jobs.
Hm not really because it's just changing stuff to port the game not making a new game lol they would just start making new bad games like ever week
Post automatically merged:

Then pretty much every gaming development team out there would be out of jobs.
Hm although that would be incredibly hard to do on a computer as you would need to get the source code and that's complicated enough so yeah I could see how it not possible

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is why citra, while runs most 3ds games, isn't really perfect on even the most powerful PCs as far as I'm aware.
Yeah it isnt extremely optimized. Mainly becuase it was designed to run on PC more than anything. It is very rare emulation requires around the same amount of power as the system it is emulating. Most notably Bleamcast which was entirely written in assembly to reach that goal.

Reactions: DragonMals

xxdeathxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it isnt extremely optimized. Mainly becuase it was designed to run on PC more than anything. It is very rare emulation requires around the same amount of power as the system it is emulating. Most notably Bleamcast which was entirely written in assembly to reach that goal.
So wouldn't under clocking your PC to run as fast as the 3ds specs make it better 🤣

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm not really because it's just changing stuff to port the game not making a new game lol they would just start making new bad games like ever week

Hm although that would be incredibly hard to do on a computer as you would need to get the source code and that's complicated enough so yeah I could see how it not possible
If you had the direct source code yes porting to another system wouldnt be extremely hard. Would require some work for sure, but wouldnt be something that would take hundreds of hours. Now when you don't have the source code that is nearly out of the idea. Decompilation is a thing but can take years.

So wouldn't under clocking your PC to run as fast as the 3ds specs make it better 🤣
No no no. You are misunderstanding how emulation works there.

xxdeathxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had the direct source code yes porting to another system wouldnt be extremely hard. Would require some work for sure, but wouldnt be something that would take hundreds of hours. Now when you don't have the source code that is nearly out of the idea. Decompilation is a thing but can take years.

No no no. You are misunderstanding how emulation works there.
So what I'm hearing is that is you could emulate to the point of where the full source code is loaded then you could snatch it from there

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what I'm hearing is that is you could emulate to the point of where the full source code is loaded then you could snatch it from there
You claim to come from the side of computers, but I don't think you understand how hardware works. In order to natively handle titles from one platform to another, so from a Wii to the 3DS in your case, you would need to rewrite the entirety of the game code just so it's functional with the 3DS hardware directly. That's much easier said than done though, game engines depending on the title being ported may not be compatible with the platform being ported to, obviously aspects like graphics, post processing, etc. are all going to have to be entirely reworked, memory management, etc. It isn't easy to do ports, especially when hardware architecture between platforms drastically differs, the instruction sets differ in functions and capabilities. There isn't enough underclocking or whatever weird suggestions you keep coming up with to make this work, it just doesn't work that way no matter how you slice this cake. In terms of emulation, you literally demand hardware to simulate hardware AND handle software through that simulated hardware at the same time, it's pretty easy to understand how the Wii can't emulate 3DS, or vice versa. Age doesn't mean anything, it mostly comes down to the legroom the hardware has to work with, neither system has enough legroom to simulate each other.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "full source code" isn't something that's generally included with a game. You'd need to license a game's source from its original developers (usually very difficult if not impossible), then port it to 3DS.

3DS's CPU is simply not powerful enough to emulate a Wii or Wii U as-is. The 3DS's ARMv6 (ARM11) CPU is roughly equivalent to the original iPhone's CPU (though with two or four cores instead of a single core). The Dolphin emulator requires an ARMv8 (64-bit ARM) *minimum* in order to run on a phone, even though the Wii uses a 32-bit PowerPC 750 variant.

Also, the Wii has 88 MB RAM; the Old 3DS only allows games to use 64 MB. (...with some exceptions like Smash Bros, but even then, you can only get up to 96 MB.) New 3DS allocates ~128 MB for games by default, but besides the 88 MB system RAM, there's also the eFB, CPU state, GPU state, disc drive emulation, NAND emulation, memory cards, etc.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We have had a similar thread – now closed – before.

What I'm missing here – at least by skimming through this thread quickly – is a beginner friendly answer why emulation is so demanding.
@xxdeathxx
Can I run a Blu-Ray movie on my old DVD player? No, because it can't read the physically different disc and doesn't understand the different video encoding. But I can convert the BD on my PC to MPEG-2, burn a DVD-R and enjoy the movie in reduced quality on the DVD player. So why can't I do the same with a Wii game and convert it to 3DS?

A movie file is just a lot of passive data. It doesn't do anything on it's own. A computer program on the other side – compiled from human readable source code (programming language) like C++ – is for a specific hardware. You could think of an emulator like a translator – providing on the fly translations from a different language. This is very, very simplified. You can't just translate "Wii to 3DS" in advance on your PC – there is no 1:1 mapping of each command from one CPU architecture to another.
Another thing stopping 1:1 translation (should not be the case on console games) would be DRM. The actual game might be encrypted and only be (partially as needed) decrypted on the fly. You won't even have clear machine code in this case.

I don't know if PC graphic cards have the same function integrated (they won't need it). Take Mode 7 scaling and rotation effects on the SNES. There is a hardware function supporting such things very easily. If you want to emulate these effects on a different computer you will have to provide a software implementation doing this within your emulator. One command on SNES becomes a complete program elsewhere. Of course it is no problem for modern computers to do such things with a pure software implementation, but this is just an example.

Generally the machine that runs an emulator must be multiple times as strong/fast as that it wants to emulate. The actual overhead depends on the actual implementation (how good is the emulator optimized?) and if the two devices are similar (got a Raspberry Pi 1b struggle on complex SNES games while running the same games from the more powerful GBA flawlessly – no surprise with the GBA having an ARM CPU sharing similarities to the one in the Raspi)

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some People:
"Can the Game Boy emulate Nintendo Switch games?"

Answer:
"No."

Some People:
"Can my Nintendo DS run PlayStation games?"

Answer:
"No. Stop it."

Some People:
"Can I emulate GameCube on my Xbox because it's older than my Xbox?"

Answers:
"...Somebody please just end me now."

Some People:
"Can I...." Abruptly stopped.

Answers:
Large frying pan is raised.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some People:
"Can the Game Boy emulate Nintendo Switch games?"

Answer:
"No."

Some People:
"Can my Nintendo DS run PlayStation games?"

Answer:
"No. Stop it."

Some People:
"Can I emulate GameCube on my Xbox because it's older than my Xbox?"

Answers:
"...Somebody please just end me now."

Some People:
"Can I...." Abruptly stopped.

Answers:
Large frying pan is raised.
I always feel ashamed for the rude+ridiculing answers that some people give on these kind of questions (and the likes/reactions they earn for this).
If you don't want to give a helpful answer… well… then don't. Cynicism won't do anything good here.

Everybody starts at zero knowledge on a topic. "OMG So obvious! LOL. Such a dumb question LMAO! How can anybody be so stupid and ask that?"

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So what about the architects I just came from using computers my whole life and I don't see the delema why won't it run the 3ds has enough power to run it so why won't it

Think about it like this. Lets say you don't know Japanese, I don't know whether you do or don't but for the purpose of the analogy lets assume you don't.

If I asked you:
"What's one plus one?" You'd say "Two"

It's simple easy math that anyone could do right?

How about if I asked you:
"1プラス1って何ですか?"

It's the same simple easy mathematical instruction, but this time you can't answer the question, not because you brain is incapable of doing the math, but because you don't understand the question.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This person doesn't have the knowledge of what does and doesn't run on the 3DS. The 3DS can run SNES games decently, but nothing like PS1 games unlike the PSP which can run them far more accurately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto