Homebrew Deleted something wrong and now 3DS wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS boots...kinda. I get a power on but the screens are still black.

EDIT: I got a crash when pressing the power button to turn off

1. Unless this is a n2DSXL, try the battery trick to reset the RAM.
  2. Rename the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card to Nintendo 3DS (main).
  3. Try booting to HOME Menu.
(A) If the 3DS boots to HOME Menu,

4a. Delete the (dummy) Nintendo 3DS folder and rename the Nintendo 3DS (main) back to Nintendo 3DS.
5a. Black screen on SysNAND boot
6a. Clear Home Menu extdata
-or-

(B) If the 3DS still produces the ARM11 error,

4b. Delete the (dummy) Nintendo 3DS folder and rename the Nintendo 3DS (main) back to Nintendo 3DS.
5b. Backup the current SysNAND for safety.
6b. Re-attempt 3DS firmware repair but this time with the alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9).
  • Use the v1.4 of the script found attached below the post.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: fyredragon

lomgth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Unless this is a n2DSXL, try the battery trick to reset the RAM.
  2. Rename the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card to Nintendo 3DS (main).
  3. Try booting to HOME Menu.
(A) If the 3DS boots to HOME Menu,

4a. Delete the (dummy) Nintendo 3DS folder and rename the Nintendo 3DS (main) back to Nintendo 3DS.
5a. Black screen on SysNAND boot
6a. Clear Home Menu extdata
-or-

(B) If the 3DS still produces the ARM11 error,

4b. Delete the (dummy) Nintendo 3DS folder and rename the Nintendo 3DS (main) back to Nintendo 3DS.
5b. Backup the current SysNAND for safety.
6b. Re-attempt 3DS firmware repair but this time with the alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9).
  • Use the v1.4 of the script found attached below the post.
Well, none of this worked, so I think it might be a lost cause because I dont have the expertise to do all of this. I appreciate your help today and if I do this again, Ill know not to go deleting root files on my 3DS in gm9.

D

Deleted-236924

I'm fairly certain your SecureInfo_A is fucked. Try placing this at nand:/rw/sys/ and see if it helps.

Attachments

• SecureInfo_C.zip
    188 bytes · Views: 163
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, none of this worked, so I think it might be a lost cause because I dont have the expertise to do all of this. I appreciate your help today and if I do this again, Ill know not to go deleting root files on my 3DS in gm9.
Alright, let me know if you wish to try fixing this again if or when you're more comfortable following the (Type D9)'s Instructions. If you can hold off a while, I am planning to release a v1.5 update of that script sometime this month which will have even better capabilities at fixing niche softbricks.

It's not getting released any sooner due to laziness revising the about page/tutorial/etc.

Reactions: lomgth
D

Deleted-236924

For what it's worth, this is (very nearly) the exact error I get when region code in SecureInfo is wrong.

q9JGSsT.jpg

R12, LR and PC are slightly different from yours, I suspect that this could be firmware version-related though because that 2DS is not quite on latest firmware, while my XL that's on 6.2.0 gets a very different error for the same thing.

Last edited by ,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, this is (very nearly) the exact error I get when region code in SecureInfo is wrong.
Yours is an o3DS, right? On my n3DSXL, when I remove the SecureInfo_A|B, the 3DS creates a dummy version filled with all 00's. It'll only boot if the 3DS firmware region is JPN (region code = 00 at offset 0x100). Otherwise, the screens stay at pitch black.

I agree with @Ammako's assessment. From past experience deleting everything in the 1:/ drive and running standard CTRTransfer,
stuff like the HWCAL0.DAt, HWCAL1.DAt, movable.sed, SecureInfo_A|B, and LocalFriendCodeSeed_B from the essential.exefs are not restored. You would have to manually mount that EXEFS and restore them yourself if you know your way around basic file navigation, renaming, copying, and where these are suppose to be added back to.

The bare minimum for a 3DS to boot HOME Menu is intact copies of the title.db and import.db paired to the title folder and a compatible SecureInfo_A|B.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
D

Deleted-236924

Yours is an o3DS, right? On my n3DSXL, when I remove the SecureInfo_A|B, the 3DS creates a dummy version filled with all 00's. It'll only boot if the 3DS firmware region is JPN (region code = 00 at offset 0x100). Otherwise, the screens stay at pitch black.

I agree with @Ammako's assessment. From past experience deleting everything in the 1:/ drive and running standard CTRTransfer,
stuff like the HWCAL0.DAt, HWCAL1.DAt, movable.sed, SecureInfo_A|B, and LocalFriendCodeSeed_B from the essential.exefs are not restored.

The bare minimum for a 3DS to boot HOME Menu is intact copies of the title.db and import.db paired to the title folder and a compatible SecureInfo_A|B.

Regular 2DS, yes. All of them generate a 00-filled SecureInfo_A on boot if secureinfo is missing.

Either way, it's worth a try to see if it helps. If it works then it's worth checking if essentials.exefs is there, so you could restore the original files. Otherwise you're kinda stuck with this and will need to keep cfw installed to use your 3DS.

lomgth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, let me know if you wish to try fixing this again if or when you're more comfortable following the (Type D9)'s Instructions. If you can hold off a while, I am planning to release a v1.5 update of that script sometime this month which will have even better capabilities at fixing niche softbricks.

It's not getting released any sooner due to laziness revising the about page/tutorial/etc.

I'll be sure to message you in a month or so, just feeling defeated right now.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Veho for those that want to experience being sonic the hedgehog