[Defcon] Smea to give 3DS security talk and release free arm9 exploit chain on August 11

dc-25-logo.jpg

(complete video of the talk - uploaded Oct. 22, 2018)

UPDATE (10-23-18): This hack was patched on 11.8 and was never publicly implemented
Please use Frogminer -> Free B9S cfw, works on 11.8, covers all major regions

(disclosure: Frogminer is my hack, but it serves the same purpose smeahax originally promised, so it's relevant here)

It looks like our old 3DS scene pal @smealum has returned to the limelight! Famous for his groundbreaking Ninjhax, Ironhax, and Tubehax userland exploits, and the udsploit kernel11 hax, Smea is back and better than ever with a total of four new exploits set to be revealed this Saturday at Defcon 26 in Las Vegas! So if you never got on the CFW bandwagon (full control of your 3DS with all the implied benefits), you'd better come and tune in with us this Saturday at 11:00 am PT sharp!​

Slides and Additional Videos

MHAX userland
ROHAX2 priv. escalation
ZHAX kernel11
TWLHAX arm9

(please wait for the guide to be updated for instructions)
^ skeletonwaiting.gif

DkV77xzUcAACLnW.jpg

Last edited by zoogie,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you upset that he did this? He was right to report them and get a reward, and you still got the exploits in the end, so both sides are happy.

Maybe he's hoping Smea's holding out another exploit that'll be reveal when the 3DS gets discontinued for super realsies when the Newer 3DS / 4DS / 3DS U successor gets revealed.

DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I like how people are upset about him selling his exploits like these are the only exploits for the system. Personally I am happy he finally got some money for his talents and I don't right care that he sold his exploits. We already have 3 methods that can't be blocked via OFW updates, so I don't really see the reason to be upset this.
And before anyone says "Well those cost money!" Yeah? And with NTRBoot boot you get a DS flashcart that plays DS games when you are done. With Hardmod you get a method that can always be accessed externally and repair literally any software issues. With DSiware transfer hack, you get to waste money on another system because you didn't use the other methods instead. Or you can use seedminer, but there is a chance that one can be removed via OFW updates. Either way, he also released these exploits, so it's not like we lost everything by him selling them to Nintendo. Even if he didn't release them we still have the methods mentioned above.

Last edited by The Catboy,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how people are upset about him selling his exploits like these are the only exploits for the system. Personally I am happy he finally got some money for his talents and I don't right care that he sold his exploits. We already have 3 methods that can't be blocked via OFW updates, so I don't really see the reason to be upset this.
And before anyone says "Well those cost money!" Yeah? And with NTRBoot boot you get a DS flashcart that plays DS games when you are done. With Hardmod you get a method that can always be accessed externally and repair literally any software issues. With DSiware transfer hack, you get to waste money on another system because you didn't use the other methods instead. Or you can use seedminer, but there is a chance that one can be removed via OFW updates. Either way, he also released these exploits, so it's not like we lost everything by him selling them to Nintendo. Even if he didn't release them we still have the methods mentioned above.

well at least there HIS exploits remember what PokeAcer did?

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So... Is anyone working on this?
Not that I'm aware of.

I've given up. I can get them to compile but there's still too much missing data for the exploits to do anything useful.
This is just speculation, but I believe the provided repos are meant to be a guide to how the exploits work, not to actually work as-is.

So there's serious work to be done to get these exploits production-ready, and I'd rather spend time on my own projects.
Other capable people probably won't touch this either since they've mostly moved on to the Switch.
I hope I'm wrong about that.

Last edited by zoogie,

ObitoPSHHHH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Not that I'm aware of.

I've given up. I can get them to compile but there's still too much missing data for the exploits to do anything useful.
This is just speculation, but I believe the provided repos are meant to be a guide to how the exploits work, not to actually work as-is.

So there's serious work to be done to get these exploits production-ready, and I'd rather spend time on my own projects.
Other capable people probably won't touch this either since they've mostly moved on to the Switch.
I hope I'm wrong about that.

This is the final chance for me to get cfw working. I've been waiting for something like this for so long, and for some reasons that would be too long to explain, I can't get NTRboot or Seedminer to work.

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
This is the final chance for me to get cfw working. I've been waiting for something like this for so long, and for some reasons that would be too long to explain, I can't get NTRboot or Seedminer to work.
how come seedminer does not work for you?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How does NTRBoot not work for you? It's a bootrom expoit, there's no reason why it shouldn't work
how come seedminer does not work for you?
Honestly I am more confused by the notion that NTRBoot isn't working for them. There's literally no reason for it not to be working if they did everything right

Last edited by The Catboy,

ObitoPSHHHH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
How does NTRBoot not work for you? It's a bootrom expoit, there's no reason why it shouldn't work

Honestly I am more confused by the notion that NTRBoot isn't working for them. There's literally no reason for it not to be working if they did everything right

We already talked about it once, Lilith, remember? I live in a country where you can't buy Flashcarts, Eshop cards, there is no online shipping, and credit cards only work for things in the country.

Insane

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by Insane,
Reactions: Hunter

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We already talked about it once, Lilith, remember? I live in a country where you can't buy Flashcarts, Eshop cards, there is no online shipping, and credit cards only work for things in the country.
It's not easy to keep track of everyone on this site. I am omnipresent, but that doesn't mean I am omnipotent.
That being said, you will still most likely get your exploits at some point in the future if you continue to be on 11.7. They were released and they were talked about, so someone so bound to figure out how they function.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +2
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
  • RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer:
    Beer isnt my thing but a root beer once in a while is good
    it gotta be MUG brand tho
    man i shoulda gotten one to open a cold one with TTYD Remake
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    man, rootbeer is so good
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think I prefer Barq's to MUG though. But, it's been a while, maybe I need a side by side to refresh my memory lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like Frosties if you see it at the store worth atry
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Hmmm interesting
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking bottled sodas priced more stupid than 12 packs
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fucking bottled sodas priced more stupid than 12 packs