Homebrew [33c3] Console Hacking 2016 (3DS/WiiU) talk Dec 27-30: smea, derrek, nedwill, naehrwert

What will Santa Hax bring us this year?

• Slowhax (arm11 kernelhax)

Votes: 184 32.1%
  • Soundhax (free primary userland sploit)

Votes: 183 31.9%
  • Bootrom dump method !!

Votes: 166 28.9%
  • Something more awesome than the above.

Votes: 156 27.2%
  • Something nice for the WiiU

Votes: 178 31.0%
  • Nothing. Ninty will banhammer: 001-1337 "Your use of this speech has been restricted by Nintendo"

Votes: 80 13.9%
  • This checkbox pleases me

Votes: 152 26.5%
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Votes: 92 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rrocha

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
for now, downgrade = DSiWare hax. Since all the games have been pulled, we are left with the same old sys tranfer (if you have any of those games) or hardmod. Maybe we'll get there once sighax is implemented in the future. Until then, enjoy the legit CIAs and all the nice homebrew like the emulators and so on

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry for my late X-mas present guys, but @hacksn5s4 has finally been banned :yaypsp:

Also, please don't steer this thread off-topic with enthusiastic posts about hacksn5s4 being banned - those would just be removed and cause more work for us mods. You guys can create a thread in the EoF or something if you really want.

Now back on topic, thanks :yay:

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUICK BACK ON-TOPIC

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if I'm over 11.0 stock, the best I'm going to get is user land and potentially ARM11 homebrew? And if I wanted to install titles I would still have to send my 3DS in to get DSiware downgraded and/or hard modded?

Reactions: VashTS

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUICK BACK ON-TOPIC

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if I'm over 11.0 stock, the best I'm going to get is user land and potentially ARM11 homebrew? And if I wanted to install titles I would still have to send my 3DS in to get DSiware downgraded and/or hard modded?

Thats the way it seems. At least hard mod is feasible. o3DSXL is very easy to hard mod with OK soldering skills. Putting it permanently is a bitch but if you just want to haxx and done, then hard mod works for me.

I heard new 3ds systems were more difficult but I've yet to crack one open. I just hope I'm not misunderstanding it, I'm hoping that we can hardmod and haxx without needing the HBL at all. all pc based.

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thats the way it seems. At least hard mod is feasible. o3DSXL is very easy to hard mod with OK soldering skills. Putting it permanently is a bitch but if you just want to haxx and done, then hard mod works for me.

I heard new 3ds systems were more difficult but I've yet to crack one open. I just hope I'm not misunderstanding it, I'm hoping that we can hardmod and haxx without needing the HBL at all. all pc based.

a Hardmod will bruteforce a new firm so its all pc related. after soldering.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a Hardmod will bruteforce a new firm so its all pc related. after soldering.

My concern is that hacking a hard modded dump is going to need something from the donor 3ds besides the dump? or am i wrong to think that with sighax?

smea and other users here have said yes when i asked if we can : factory -> hard mod -> dump -> modify dump -> restore -> boot with no issues. this means we can potentially fix bricks with no prior backups.

I basically want to rebuild the 3ds nand from PC - that is the ultimate hack. then no matter what you do to that 3ds file system, it is always 100% able to be restored with proper hard mod. this is what i need to repair a broken 3ds i own.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
My concern is that hacking a hard modded dump is going to need something from the donor 3ds besides the dump? or am i wrong to think that with sighax?

smea and other users here have said yes when i asked if we can : factory -> hard mod -> dump -> modify dump -> restore -> boot with no issues. this means we can potentially fix bricks with no prior backups.

I basically want to rebuild the 3ds nand from PC - that is the ultimate hack. then no matter what you do to that 3ds file system, it is always 100% able to be restored with proper hard mod. this is what i need to repair a broken 3ds i own.

You need to know the console's FIRM xorpad.
You can determine the xorpad if you know the version of FIRM that is installed and the FIRM is not corrupted.

That's just for installing sighax, nothing about restoring the filesystem afterwards

Last edited by metroid maniac,
Reactions: Mrrraou

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France

you need a localfriendseed, a secureinfo, the otp of the console, etc

Deleted member 350372

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have A9LH right now, sighax is effectively the same thing, but it bypasses the initial FIRM load, so it might reduce boot time by a bit.

If you don't have A9LH, sighax will allow something similar to A9LH but without the OTP. And as an added bonus, since sighax lets you completely replace FIRM, the OTP won't be locked out, so sighax can be used to dump the OTP.
Umm. About not having A9LH, wouldn't it be impossible to flash a CFW without any other kernel exploits for arm11 and/or arm9 beforehand? Seems kinda odd to me how this could work without hardmodding it.

Also in addition arm11 userspace isn't powerful enough to flash permanent CFW to replace OFW.

Last edited by Deleted member 350372,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm. About not having A9LH, wouldn't it be impossible to flash a CFW without any other kernel exploits for arm11 and/or arm9 beforehand? Seems kinda odd to me how this could work without hardmodding it.

Also in addition arm11 userspace isn't powerful enough to flash permanent CFW to replace OFW.
Yeah, you'd still need some way to get access to NAND, which requires either ARM9 kernel access, a DSiWare exploit, or a hardmod.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to know the console's FIRM xorpad.
You can determine the xorpad if you know the version of FIRM that is installed and the FIRM is not corrupted.

That's just for installing sighax, nothing about restoring the filesystem afterwards

Thanks for the info - I'm still not 100% sure of how sighax works though...

so you basically install sighax to a nand dump using PC? then what happens on the 3ds side of things? you'd still need HBL from there to install CIAs?

i have a 3ds that cannot access HBL using current methods (hoping soundhax might be a solution but doesn't work on o3ds yet). i need to re-install the system CIAs but since i can't get into HBL, i cannot install. its on 10.3 (partially downgraded to 9.2).

i'm sure i'll get more answers in time, but i appreciate any info!

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info - I'm still not 100% sure of how sighax works though...

so you basically install sighax to a nand dump using PC? then what happens on the 3ds side of things? you'd still need HBL from there to install CIAs?

i have a 3ds that cannot access HBL using current methods (hoping soundhax might be a solution but doesn't work on o3ds yet). i need to re-install the system CIAs but since i can't get into HBL, i cannot install. its on 10.3 (partially downgraded to 9.2).

i'm sure i'll get more answers in time, but i appreciate any info!

Once sighax is installed, you can run all your arm9 utilities (Godmode9, Decrypt9, Hourglass9, CFWs).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After installing sighax via hardmod or other method, sighax would chainload a CFW like Luma3DS (possibly using the same method as A9LH), at which point you can use the various ARM9 tools to inject FBI into Health & Safety and proceed from there.

EDIT: 2slo :V

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1