Hacking Decompiling waninkoko's softmod

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plushing said:
The apploader is nothing special, just a normal launcher, you won't find anything of interest in there.

The juicy parts have already been revealed (notably the IOS module and the "patcher").
And Waninkoko has released the source to his custom DIP module on his website, what a sucker.

Plushing *cough* Bushing *cough*
You sure love to flame Waninkoko
dry.gif

You were annoying him about the GPL violation, now this?
If you think your so great, make your own Backup Loader and lets see how much better yours turns out to be...
rolleyes.gif

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Well the bug that is exploited is about the dvd's.... hence the different key... hence the different layout of the dvd... hence the speed cap...
It seems that the iso should be modified anyway....well just an estimation actually
smile.gif

No. The only technological limitation with the DVD-video exploit is that you're locked to a 3x read speed (unless you hack the drive's firmware, in which case you don't need the exploit). The rest of it is lazy (or unfinished) coding.

Framework43 said:
QUOTE(plushing @ Sep 20 2008, 10:53 PM) The apploader is nothing special, just a normal launcher, you won't find anything of interest in there.

The juicy parts have already been revealed (notably the IOS module and the "patcher").
And Waninkoko has released the source to his custom DIP module on his website, what a sucker.
dry.gif

If you think your so great, make your own Backup Loader and lets see how much better yours turns out to be...
rolleyes.gif
Oh noes. You found me out. Damn. Guess I shouldn't have have picked such an obvious pseudonym to come on here and make critical comments. I guess I'll just have to start posting as myself again.

CambridgeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
waninkoko said:
I have a linux version here (the app was coded mainly for linux) but I have no intentions in release it.
presumably that also means you're not releasing source code then? that would be a real shame.

rainrix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No wonder he abandonned the project with all the haters in the Wii scene, I think this guys are afraid that waninokos apps might overshadow all the fantastic homebrews, I can't wait to play Pacman on Wii.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
bushing said:
WiiCrazy said:
Well the bug that is exploited is about the dvd's.... hence the different key... hence the different layout of the dvd... hence the speed cap...
It seems that the iso should be modified anyway....well just an estimation actually
smile.gif

No. The only technological limitation with the DVD-video exploit is that you're locked to a 3x read speed (unless you hack the drive's firmware, in which case you don't need the exploit). The rest of it is lazy (or unfinished) coding.

Framework43 said:
plushing said:
The apploader is nothing special, just a normal launcher, you won't find anything of interest in there.

dry.gif

rolleyes.gif
Oh noes. You found me out. Damn. Guess I shouldn't have have picked such an obvious pseudonym to come on here and make critical comments. I guess I'll just have to start posting as myself again.

I agree with you that waninkoko never need to push very hard work as everything is available but at least, he did try to put all stuff together ...
I don't like the path he is taking sometime and the fact he is often not crediting the people who made 80% of the work but you can't deny he is one of the only dev around who try to understand/make use of the tool/hacks you and your mates are releasing

might be bad coding, but it is still coding... I'd hope we had better and more serious dev to make apps like this but we did not, or they refuse to (thanks you tona btw)

No wonder he abandonned the project with all the haters in the Wii scene, I think this guys are afraid that waninokos apps might overshadow all the fantastic homebrews, I can't wait to play Pacman on Wii.

stupid pirate, how can you ask for respect when yoursel don't respect other dev for not bringing you your daily dose of pirating tools

Vegeta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The driver is not finished, nor the source code (needs to be cleaned, commented, remove shitty code, etc.). I was going to release the source (as it is licensed under the GPL) with the backup-loader binary but now I'll have to release it when I have it completely finished (except you want a very shitty source).

Also, it's not my fault that the guy who leaked it didn't release the source too.

EDIT: If I have free time tomorrow, I'll release the first version of the source (I don't like to violate the GPL).

Cool! Well tommorow is today Waninkoko and if you have the free time then
rolleyes.gif

Your work is appreciated. Ignore the haters but I am still sad due to the fact that you let down thousands of people just because of 1 idiot person who leaked your program.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the love of God, enough with the backup loader BS. Am I the only sane individual actually thinking about the implications something like this will hold for the entire homebrew community as well as Nintendo's attitude towards it?

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
underpressure116 said:
For the love of God, enough with the backup loader BS. Am I the only sane individual actually thinking about the implications something like this will hold for the entire homebrew community as well as Nintendo's attitude towards it?
In case you hadn't noticed, this is a piracy website, so yes, it is only you.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
bushing said:
WiiCrazy said:
smile.gif

They could've checked the structure of the dvd(video) in the drive firmware when validating the disk. So you are saying, using the exact duplicate is actually. Maybe waninkoko didn't know this. I doubt it's out of laziness cause the guy is like a factory, he just continuously emits software. Well the other way round probably needs more low level work and he possibly didn't have the bits and pieces for this type of loader.

What's interesting is your and marcan's initial responses to this were both technical and not in the aspect how it leads to piracy. In a way it seems you are thankful to waninkoko because he, in a short time and using twiizers' exploit, made your statements to nintendo proved (realized).

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haruhi said:
If the source is released, then it can be compiled into a linux version. He won't need to release linux binaries himself in that case.
Didn't you read? That's not the source for the ISO loader.
It's like he was going to give you a nice house, but you pissed him off and he decided to give you his tools he used so you can build your own house.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have far too much going on for me to contribute much time to this but are you using a Wii oriented plugin for IDA or just the GC one?

If it is the wii and you are able to share it?. It would be appreciated as I could not find it the other day when I was looking (just references and Wii stuff that used IDA).

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
an interesting test (maybe) would be to run a diff program on both the ISOs (original end patched)
to determine wich are the differences between them, wich sectors are altered, wich ones are added/removed... and then check out more deeply what's modified.

actually i don't have any ISO here to try out.. but i was going to make that test.

if anyone has already an iso to try with.. we would save time.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
atomikramp said:
an interesting test (maybe) would be to run a diff program on both the ISOs (original end patched)
to determine wich are the differences between them, wich sectors are altered, wich ones are added/removed... and then check out more deeply what's modified.

actually i don't have any ISO here to try out.. but i was going to make that test.

if anyone has already an iso to try with.. we would save time.
I'm pretty sure we already were told by wani what gets changed.

QUOTE said:
How Backup-Creator works:

1. Extract ticket and TMD from game partition.
2. Write ticket to "partition.iso" aligned to 64 bytes.
3. Write TMD to "partition.iso" aligned to 64 bytes.
4. Decrypt game partition.
5. Write decrypted partition to "partition.iso" at offset 0x800 (sector 1).

That's all. No patching is done.

Also

QUOTE( @ Sep 20 2008, 10:24 PM)
dry.gif

rolleyes.gif

If plushing was bushing (which he isn't) he could easily make an ISO loader. But we all know how bushing is with piracy, so it's pretty obvious he wouldn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended