Decompiling waninkoko's softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CambridgeGuy, Sep 20, 2008.

Sep 20, 2008
  1. CambridgeGuy
    OP

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Waninkoko's backup loader is great, but not perfect. It is not open source, and he claims to have abandoned the project. But more developments are needed. I propose we try to decompile his code and start a new, open source backup loader project. This will allow for continued development. It will also bring with it the obvious benefits of open source.

I have tried decompiling the backup creator with IDA pro and Hex-Rays decompiler, and this http://pastebin.com/f57b7f0fb is what I got. It doesn't compile; there are errors. Still, this is a starting point, I suppose. What does everyone else think about my idea? Is it feasable?

2. rainrix

Newcomer rainrix Member

United States
    This is ridiculous, the sources are somewhere. Btw I don't think it's fair to punish every potential user of the Backup loader just because one single guy leaked the thing.

3. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Isn't he releasing the source? [​IMG]

4. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    i think this is a good idea to make a open source backup loader, but again, i think it is totally without respect for waninkoko to use his backup loader! you can use the code to check what he did, and start over again, but using his code is bit of a lag of respect...

5. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Whatever he is patching cannot be that complex, perhaps it would be easier to just compare different ISOs to their patched counterparts and develop a new patcher from there. Trust me, that code is not going to compile as is. [​IMG]

6. telefunkin

Newcomer telefunkin Advanced Member

Canada
  7. CambridgeGuy
    OP

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Is he? If so, where did you hear this?

EDIT: ok telefunkin beat me to it [​IMG] and it seems like he will release the source after all. wow, that's surprising.

This is the second time in as many days that I've started a thread, but it's been redundant cos of another thread that i missed. This place has been so busy lately that threads have been passing me by. I don't usually miss anything here but now... it's all very different. Sorry to have made this thread, it's not really necessary now.

8. Arm the Homeless

United States
    Read one post above you.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=105750

9. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    he isnt releaseing the sorce becasue hes not makeing it anymore, hes deleted everything. also i doubt you will be able to make anything of decomiling the dol. becasue theres a lot of other things that went into this.

10. Arm the Homeless

United States
    That'd be a violation of the GPL.
    And nobody likes that.

11. Sekkyumu

Member Sekkyumu GBAtemp Regular

France
    He didn't release his binary officially. It was leaked by someone else.

So if he doesn't release his source code there's no problem.

12. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    you cant be in violation of something you didnt release. ask the leaker for the sorce or something because he released it. so its his problem.

13. MiloFoxburr

Member MiloFoxburr GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Doesn't sound like Waninkoko has deleted all the source code. He posted earlier here

14. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Chill out guys, this is exactly why Waninkoko isn't making the loader anymore. You people are so impatient. He said that he was going to release the source code. And by the way he said it, it sounded like he might still clean some of it up first.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=105...t&p=1410017

Just sit back and wait a few days. It's the least we can give the guy. He made huge strides with this loader, don't just push him to the side because he is pissed about it being leaked. Anyone ever think he didn't want it leaked because he has had such bad press in the scene before with his so called "rushed releases" that he wanted to make sure people like you didn't bitch and instantly say they could do it better? Well, you can do it better now that he figured it out for you. Congratulations, your like the smartest kid with down-syndrome. You let someone else figure out the answer now your calling him wrong and "improving it". It wouldn't need improvement if some of the people on this forum weren't so damn greedy.

15. rainrix

Newcomer rainrix Member

United States
    I don't understand why you guys don't want him to release the code, btw plushing sounds like bushing.

16. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    His DOL is just the same as any other one. Anyone can access the cIOS and DVDX from a homebrew program.

17. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    damn you are smart, this is certainly bushing in disguize who registered under an anonymous name to fake us [​IMG]
    c'mon, seriously

About the decompiled DOL, it will not be very useful in this state. Also, this is certainly only the apploader: it read the main dol from DVD (using DVDX and maybe disencryption) then launch it... DVD apploader already exist and sourcecode has been released by bushing... I don't know is the ISO is encrypted or not

No, the interesting thing is in the CIOS.. apparently, waninkoko added a custom DVD module named /dev/do (instead of normal /dev/di) and coded (him or someone else, who know) the wrapper for ioctl functions to use DVDX access functions instead normal ones.. I don't know much more...

I imagine the ISO patching tool looks for IPC open call to /dev/di the patch "di" string with "do" (need only one byte to be changed)

I have however no idea about how compatibilty/speed could be improved: I even fear there is no much way to improve the current state

18. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    with the source could we add backup loading to GeckoOS? that would be great, as i would possibly fix the color problem with the A/V cables and allow use of cheats.

19. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    We could -possibly- do lots with the source code, or we could -possibly- not be able to accomplish much more than just a cleanup of the code to make it run a little smoother. We wont know until we see the code and til we see the code let's just let speculations of future additions to rest. First you finish the work, then you add on to it. I'm still hoping that Waninkoko will finish the loader. He deserves 100% of the credit and it would feel wrong working on the project without him.

I think the RegionFrii info I got might come in handy as it seems like the launcher uses a specialized region and Region code to launch the games. Thats why all games (in theory) should work on all regions of Wii. They aren't PAL or NTSC region they are code 'B7' or Region 183. The backup creator also changes the title id of the ISO becuse if you attempt to mount the ISO in RegionFrii after patching it tells you it might be damaged or unsupported.

20. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Custom DIP Module v0.1 source

this effectively make use of Neimod's custom IOS toolkit, I understand now that waninkoko is definitely very good at using other people's tool for something concrete... very smart :-)