Hacking Decompiling waninkoko's softmod

zapu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be honest you should better start from http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Custom_IOS_Module
smile.gif

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
atomikramp said:
zapu said:
To be honest you should better start from http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Custom_IOS_Module
smile.gif

we don't need to build a cIOS, the cIOS is already available, we just need to know wich functions are exposed by this cIOS, and how to use them the right way.
The current cIOS is the reason we have crappy compatibility and no color on NTSC.
All the work is done in the cIOS, not the app loader.

I don't remember who said it on here, but I think it was waninkoko.

sampson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miles said:
atomikramp said:
zapu said:
smile.gif

we don't need to build a cIOS, the cIOS is already available, we just need to know wich functions are exposed by this cIOS, and how to use them the right way.
The current cIOS is the reason we have crappy compatibility and no color on NTSC.
All the work is done in the cIOS, not the app loader.

I don't remember who said it on here, but I think it was waninkoko.

it's because the wii defaults to 3x speed on a dvd-rom/dvd-video disc. you would need to make the wii think all dvd-rom games were wii games to allow the drive to go at 6x. i believe that would be a drive firmware mod rather than modifying ios personally. at this point it's just better to get a chip :\

furthermore if you think about how the loader works it makes sense. in dvd-video mode all calls to the wii encryption routines are cut off....hence the decrypting the isos before burning them

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sampson said:
in dvd-video mode all calls to the wii encryption routines are cut off....
Source of this insight?

QUOTE(Framework43 @ Sep 22 2008, 03:32 AM) Is it possible to make this compatable with DVD+R/-R/-RW without Booktyping?
No. The DVD-Video access method, and that's what it is, requires the disk to be "DVD video", even if in the end it contains other data.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
denzil said:
sampson said:
Source of this insight?

None - because it is nonsense:

QUOTE(bushing @ Sep 21 2008, 06:40 AM)
[...] The only technological limitation with the DVD-video exploit is that you're locked to a 3x read speed (unless you hack the drive's firmware, in which case you don't need the exploit). The rest of it is lazy (or unfinished) coding.

So a backup loader with unmodified ISOs is possible...

zapu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It is, but you'll have to do all decryption in software (instead of hardware, which is done when running games normally) which gives you even slower reading.

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zapu said:
It is, but you'll have to do all decryption in software (instead of hardware, which is done when running games normally) which gives you even slower reading.

there are functions to tell the hardware to decrypt stuff no matter from where the data is read. wanin was either too lazy to implement them or just didn't know about them. dvd video mode just limits the reading speed to 3x. nothing more.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
there are functions to tell the hardware to decrypt stuff no matter from where the data is read. wanin was either too lazy to implement them or just didn't know about them. dvd video mode just limits the reading speed to 3x. nothing more.

seems logic since some PPC apps might need it (system menu for game saves for example)

so, what are they ... in libogc I mean ?

thanks, this is so .. undocumented that it is hard to find in that library

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With read speeds limited to 3x wouldn't the additional latency of on the fly software based decryption make load times even greater,, essentially breaking all videos?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
ciper said:
With read speeds limited to 3x wouldn't the additional latency of on the fly software based decryption make load times even greater,, essentially breaking all videos?

Decryption done by the arm core using special hardware so it doesn't matter in speed... As previously stated, drive firmware decides on the speed...

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
ciper said:

Decryption done by the arm core using special hardware so it doesn't matter in speed... As previously stated, drive firmware decides on the speed...
I thought an loader using an unpatched copy of a game would only function with software decryption. The last couple pages of this thread touch on this.

I don't think you understood my original question. I didn't say on the fly decryption in software would change read speed, I said it would effect load times. The difference being that the data is still flowing from the drive at 3x but it now has to be processed before being handed back to the game executable.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sampson said:
Sorry, but you have seriously misread or misunderstood that comment. Erant is talking about how Gamecube mode does naturally have access to the undecrypted data (and so does DVDLowUnencryptedRead with its superimposed limits), both, however, are completely unrelated to DVD-Video access (DI_READ_VIDEO). At no point does he say or implicate that in "DVD-Video mode" (whatever that may be) PPC would not be able to call hardware decryption functions.

sampson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
denzil said:
sampson said:
Sorry, but you have seriously misread or misunderstood that comment. Erant is talking about how Gamecube mode does naturally have access to the undecrypted data (and so does DVDLowUnencryptedRead with its superimposed limits), both, however, are completely unrelated to DVD-Video access (DI_READ_VIDEO). At no point does he say or implicate that in "DVD-Video mode" (whatever that may be) PPC would not be able to call hardware decryption functions.

the only important part is that how the drive determines between DVD-VIDEO/ROm and the wii disc which limits the speed. you need a firmware modification to get around this

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sampson said:
denzil said:
At no point does he say or implicate that in "DVD-Video mode" (whatever that may be) PPC would not be able to call hardware decryption functions.
the only important part is that how the drive determines between DVD-VIDEO/ROm and the wii disc which limits the speed. you need a firmware modification to get around this
That, while true, is a completely different point.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sampson said:
bailli said:
denzil said:
sampson said:
Source of this insight?

None - because it is nonsense:

http://hackmii.com/2008/07/dvd-access-libr...d/#comment-2307

r;c;p

Please c&p the part where Erant states that you cannot access any decrypt functions.

And as svpe stated earlier (you know svpe, don't you?) you can pass the encrypted data in your IOS module to the hardware AES unit and let it decrypt it...
And since we are talking about hardware decryption there should be no effect on the loading times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.