'Decided' to brick my Switch today with the install of hwfly clone rp2040 core

D0diac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I carefully followed the instructions from this video.
The modchip was not flashed/updated prior to install.
Battery was unplugged during install.
Measuring 5 Ohm across either side of the SP1/SP2 contact points.
Booting up the first time the modchip showed white/blue and or blue with somewhat green, then strange sounds could be heard and hearing closely some sort of ticking sound.
After that it seems the modchip is no longer getting any power from the Switch. Even when de- and reconnecting the battery.
When attached to a PC, the modchip does show up white/blue and green lights but it never shows up as a COM device.
Pressing SW2 (I belief is RESET) on the modchip does kickoff a procedure with activity that can be seen on the LED, but still not showing up as COM device.
Back in the Switch, still no more LED activity and still a ticking sound.

What could have been wrong?
Do you have any tips on what I can check next?

Note: In the picture you can see the HAC-EEMC board plugged in to its original location, but it was correctly connected to the modchip when the initial boot took place.

tempImageJxk0LF.jpg

Last edited by D0diac,

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have went with instinct nx, I’ve seen nothing but issues with those rp bullshit chips
I've seen nothing but success with them. Not sure why you are seeing issues. Obviously different manufacturers and batches come into play but I exclusively use the rp2040 instinct style clones at they work great.

OP, A ticking sound from any switch chip rp or not is something I have never encountered in over 70 mod installs. You may have accidentally gotten something into the fan while working on it and that could potentially cause a tick. Your cpu solder job looks fine. Its a bitrough but from what I can see in the pic, everything looks connected with no bridging. If it were me, I would give the mobo a good once over looking for anything amiss, then reinstall the chip and see if reseating changes anything. If it doesnt, I would grab a new rp chip and swap that part out and see if it works.

Unfortunately with first mod attempts (I have cleaned up a few of them) it is more likely that something else on the board was damaged in the install process than that the chip itself is bad. I have only had 2 defective chips. And for those clean up jobs that were recoverable, I have only had to replace the chip when the owner mangled the chip itself.

D0diac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The fan doesn't spin up (and IIRC it didn't do so on the first boot when the modchip did initially started blinking the LED).
The ticking is not coming from the modchip, but from an IC on the motherboard.
I'll give all components a good visual inspection. Is there any guide for troubleshooting Switch boot issues using a multimeter?

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fan doesn't spin up (and IIRC it didn't do so on the first boot when the modchip did initially started blinking the LED).
The ticking is not coming from the modchip, but from an IC on the motherboard.
I'll give all components a good visual inspection. Is there any guide for troubleshooting Switch boot issues using a multimeter?

Well, that sucks. I don't know of a good guide for that. When I am uncertain, I check values on a known good board on my bench, but another switch is not usually something a first time modder has available.

Which IC are you getting the click from?

D0diac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No visual damage. Refitted everything carefully and no sign of life, battery or USB-C powered (no more clicking noise).
Post automatically merged:

This cap (?) is giving a short when measuring to ground on both sides and also the one in the other pic.

tempImageKhbHcv.jpg

tempImageIgJ9QV.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagenAuzfL.jpg
    tempImagenAuzfL.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
Last edited by D0diac,

D0diac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can test those for you. Were you testing with the battery plugged into the board or unplugged?

Unplugged. (I am removing one of the indicated shorts in the post above, wasn't short after retesting.)
Post automatically merged:

With the battery plugged in though, it are in fact these two in addition to the one around the 92-IC.

Attachments

• IMG_3080 kopie.jpg
    IMG_3080 kopie.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited by D0diac,

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, had to get through a couple other switches before I got to a v2. None of the highlighted components are short on both sides with the battery disconnected.

Reactions: D0diac

D0diac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Upon closer visual inspection, it appears the MAX77621 voltage regulator (the one close to the EMMC) is blown.

IMG_3101.jpg

madisonswitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen nothing but success with them. Not sure why you are seeing issues. Obviously different manufacturers and batches come into play but I exclusively use the rp2040 instinct style clones at they work great.

OP, A ticking sound from any switch chip rp or not is something I have never encountered in over 70 mod installs. You may have accidentally gotten something into the fan while working on it and that could potentially cause a tick. Your cpu solder job looks fine. Its a bitrough but from what I can see in the pic, everything looks connected with no bridging. If it were me, I would give the mobo a good once over looking for anything amiss, then reinstall the chip and see if reseating changes anything. If it doesnt, I would grab a new rp chip and swap that part out and see if it works.

Unfortunately with first mod attempts (I have cleaned up a few of them) it is more likely that something else on the board was damaged in the install process than that the chip itself is bad. I have only had 2 defective chips. And for those clean up jobs that were recoverable, I have only had to replace the chip when the owner mangled the chip itself.

Hey Zama, you seem like you have a ton of experience installing mods. I'm rather new to this, I have a Mariko V2 HAC-001(-01) Switch, which of these chips would you recommend for easiest install?

• aliexpress.us/item/3256806008094504.html

Last edited by madisonswitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning