Dead Cells, I Dont Get It...

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by gameboy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. gameboy
    OP

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    wtf is up with the ending?

So I found an exploit that if you exit out the game as it says 'desecrated' it restarts you at the stage and not the beginning, so after many retries i as able to beat it on 'first try' but it starts you all over, the game is just a loop... am i missing something or what? because its pissing me off. Nobody should buy this game. Theres no story or ending from what ive seen

CaptainSodaPop likes this.
  2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    afaik this is the end you dont get this tiny custscene and credits?

3. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2010
    The game is about killing the last boss in one go, if you die you loose everything and start over from the very begining.
    When you killed Hand of the King, he drops a cell, if you pick that up and enable it in the start (the long glass-tube) you´ll enable a harder difficulty.
    The current hardest is 4 Boss Cells, and it´s hard.

If you dont like the game that´s fine, but you´re wrong.
    The game is AWESOME!

4. gameboy
    OP

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    solved nothing. it didnt answer anything about the island or the disease or the cure or anything. Or why it throws you to the beginning again or anything. Its stupid

5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    see the abode user, you get a cell wich makes the next playthrough harder and so on, is a rogue like game, they usualy have almost no story, same way ghsot and goblins had a "story"

6. gameboy
    OP

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    but you get the girl at the end in g&g. in dead cells theres no conclusion about the island or the character, even with 4 cells the story doesnt progress

7. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    When you play the game, there are labs that can be inspected, notes on paper and walls etc,... That's how you answer your questions. At some point, the character says "storytelling at low cost". You don't need to know why you start over whe you die, it's the GENRE of the game.

Pip'

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    All that lack of anything besides gameplay is a staple of roguelike games. So in that regard, it's exactly what people into this genre seem to like.
    However, I agree with OP in that these being the roots of the genre doesn't make no real story / barely any explanation for a world that does deserve some more explanation a good thing.

Bottomline, from the way the game presents itself to the casual consumer, it tricks you into thinking 'there must be something to what's going on' thus causing understandable reactions and disappointment such as this.

gameboy and ShonenJump like this.
  9. gameboy
    OP

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    it took about 40 retries to beat the Time Keeper and about 60 for the hand of the king, when the game reset, there was no incentive to continue because the story doesnt progress

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Babies first roguelite?

astronautlevel and SnAQ like this.
  11. lolboy

lolboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    Dead Cells is I believe overhyped. I tried it 5 times and not getting into it.

12. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    wait are you telling me that theres nothing after beating the kings hands. F*ck been at this for weeks now in between 12 hour work shifts. welp guess im done with the game, at least binding of isaac had multiple characters,game modes and endings. But this just murdered my interest

13. gameboy
    OP

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    yea just youtube the ending, one run is good enough for me