OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pancakelizard: Isn't it hypocritical to agree, by spam, to someone who says get rid of spam?

I apologize if my message came across as attacking DJGarf. I meant it more to say that the forum itself was in trouble and morale topics like those ones help both relieve stress and keep the place active. They do need to go eventually, but first and foremost would be the uploaded pictures, then possibly the old topics.

I don't know about the architecture of the board, though, so I can't say which of these would work better than the others (aside from the images).

-Tempest out.-

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
lucky ones... firebird crashed and saved you from a big post of mine. so all again in short form.

delete 0 posters good idea, delete below 200 bad idea.

grogg/above topic. delete from time to time the pages excepting the last 2 pages. who cares about the pages before anyway.

art gallery: didn`t know you had to upload images, i linked them all. taking them down might help.

sql. here runs most probably mysql, problem? mysql does not truncate files on deleting posts. thus the size problem doesn`t fix with deleting posts. db files tend to grow, not shrink without admin interaction.

staff. mods are good and active here but the admin is a bit of a slowpoke sometimes. making one mod an assistant admin could help.

over and out...

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Your all not seeing the real issue here. It all comes down to upgrading the server. Omero owns the server and to upgrade it with a larger hard drive and so on Omero would need money.

*Opium passes the collection plate around*

all the users who have 0 posts take up a tiny tiny tiny amount of space on the server. It wont solve anything by deleting them, and deleting the large topics like grog and teh person above meh is restricting the users. We don't want GBATemp to turn into a board controlled by Nazi mods and admins who go around limiting users.

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree with deleting members who have less than 200 posts it will make the board to be ''cleaner'' and get off these spammers.......
IMO, "spammers" usually tend to have MORE than 200 posts. What do you think people who read the board with 43 posts are going to do if those with less than 200 posts are going to be deleted ? I for one am barely above 200, and I'm member #30 ...

esrion

Poetic Spammer of Justice
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Actually, I agree with Opium. Deleting the Zeros (200-'s is kinda harsh, really) will make the board cleaner, but it's not going to solve the problem. And as I spam the testing area often, it's hard to say that I want them shut down. I think keeping a few pages worth is an okay idea though.

But if we want to keep the board the way it is now, we're going to have to upgrade, which takes money. If the money isn't there, then we'll have to change the way the board is. simple, right?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
*jumpman17 turns on the Kivan signal and aims it at the sky...

You can also use your history to view previous topics...

Hybrid Stigmata

The New Build
Trophies
Website
home.earthlink.net
XP
Country
United States
Pancakelizard: Isn't it hypocritical to agree, by spam, to someone who says get rid of spam?

I apologize if my message came across as attacking DJGarf. I meant it more to say that the forum itself was in trouble and morale topics like those ones help both relieve stress and keep the place active. They do need to go eventually, but first and foremost would be the uploaded pictures, then possibly the old topics.

I don't know about the architecture of the board, though, so I can't say which of these would work better than the others (aside from the images).

-Tempest out.-
no, because its stating that i back up djgarf's opinion, as well as thug's, on this matter. its no more spam than those who contribute to the threads in question, yourself being an active one i know, it seems somehow you have taken enough offense to feel the need to defend it.

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
Well, if deleting 0-users isn't useful I don't mind deleting them. I only hope that the admins come out
frown.gif
For the server upgrade I think that if it needs money maybe we can just give something to do it, it won't be a high price to pay because we are many. I hope probs will be solved soon
smile.gif

EDIT: I've just seen Omero online
smile.gif
It's the first time I see an admin online (well, it's not so much time I'm registered) and I'm happy to see him
laugh.gif
I'm also very proud they're Italians
biggrin.gif
Now I'm a bit more relaxed
happy.gif

Garp

GBATemp's Wandering Gnome
Trophies
Website
www.garpland.com
XP
Country
United States
Why not set up a PayPal account and have a donate button on the front page. Nothing required, but it would help in getting an upgraded server, would it not?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Man o man o man, I didn't actually noticed all the comotion! This is real sad stuff! Although my postnumber hasn't reached the 200+ status this forum is the first thing on the whole internet ever that I returned to EVERY DAY! GBATEMP is a real haven of peace and joy! Hallelujah and PRAISE the mighty one in the heaven!!!! Ooh sorry, ahum, but please lads, keep it up won't ya!

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
true, for me it would be easy, but (and this is a reason why gbatemp is great) the members here are from all around the world, but I think that if this is the problem a solution can be find, and the real problem remains the same: fix the situation. I hope to hear something from the admins, now that I saw one came on the forum
smile.gif

KotaInka2

Fanboy Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks djgarf, you just gave me an idea for a "best" or "biggest" of the year award.
laugh.gif

Have a nice day!
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, on topic so we don't have to worry about spam, the board may be back to normal, but there are obviously still ongoing problems that extend far beyond database errors.

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
all the users who have 0 posts take up a tiny tiny tiny amount of space on the server.
Paraphrasing Office Space, "A penny is only a penny, but a lot of pennies means money." If you've seen this movie, you will understand what I mean. I agree that 0 posters only take a small amount of space each, but there are over 15,700 0-posters right now. Each one may only take up a small space, but a lot of 0 posters take up a lot of small spaces.

QUOTEart gallery: didn`t know you had to upload images, i linked them all. taking them down might help.
You didn't have to upload your pics onto the server, but a lot of people did so that they wouldn't have to find their own upload space.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I agree in there being at least one more admin or assistant admin. It would be kinda irresponsible for them not to at least let us know that we can depend on them being there in times of need. If an army doesn't know where their commander is, they loose heart and give up. I'm sure there are a few mods which can do the job *cough*Thug,shaun,tempest*cough* They've been like the admins around here while the others have disappeared, they've been online almost everyday, they easily take control of things and they're there if you need them. (I'm not talking about Omero but I only see him online like once or twice a week sometimes which is why I feel this way) I think they should sort this problem out before doing anything else.

QUOTE said:
I agree with deleting members who have less than 200 posts it will make the board to be ''cleaner'' and get off these spammers.......

It seems pretty clear that you haven't thought of all the members (especially the NEW members) who arn't always available everytime to post. ONly those with zero posts should be deleted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over