Damaged CMD (A) pad on OLED after botched picofly install - salvageable?

psilos15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there folks,

first time trying to install an AliExpress Picofly modchip with the big black flex cable, everything went to hell and decided to remove it.
Unfortunately I also removed the CMD resistor with it. Bought new ones on Digikey, but I can't for the life of me solder anything to that second pad, nothing is sticking.

Is the switch dead? Or is there still hope?

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• switch_clk_burnt.jpg
    switch_clk_burnt.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 38

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You most likely broke the pads off the motherboard that hold the component. You can try following the trace lines and scrape away the silkscreen paint to try get down to copper till holds solder, but it may be a tough fix. You may be able to find a electronics repair place that will do "trace" fixes. Sorry to hear, and good luck.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

psilos15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is this the black cable or the Switch itself?
No cables! Just the PCB under suboptimal lighting, I can’t to seem to get nicer pictures with my scope.
The north hole gets solder attached to it easily, but on the south one nothing sticks and looks brown/black. So either oxidised or the copper pad came out with the cap itself. But I can’t clean it with anything, so I’m leaning more to the latter..

psilos15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah that’s what I was afraid, because the top one is the ground pad. So the multimeter still gives a value on the perimeter! It’s the normal 0,65 in diode mode as before the install, but only on the perimeter. In the center of the hole nothing, it’s prob burnt. Is there any way to reconstruct the pad? Can you even solder copper there?:wink:

Reactions: HawaiianInTown

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah that’s what I was afraid, because the top one is the ground pad. So the multimeter still gives a value on the perimeter! It’s the normal 0,65 in diode mode as before the install, but only on the perimeter. In the center of the hole nothing, it’s prob burnt. Is there any way to reconstruct the pad? Can you even solder copper there?:wink:
If you're luck you might find copper there and you can buy a replacement pad.
Like these https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802297090384.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Hell some use solder braids as replacement pads

Reactions: HawaiianInTown

cilione

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That pad goes straight to the APU.
Repairable if you can grind and solder to the trace.
The trace is on the third layer.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

1702673160013.png

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think even Steve Irwin would nope out lol