Hacking D2C chips overview

Frankdj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since many people are struggling to get all the development for the D2C chips clear, I tried to make a small overview that can help them. I know most people want to mod their Wii before the Christmas time, so this might be usefull. Here are all the chips that are released now, or will be released this year for the D2C Wii's.

D2Ckey (http://www.d2ckey.com)
The D2Ckey is the first chip that managed to play backups and regionfree games for the D2C Wii's. The developers from Wiikey have managed to integrate the Wiikey functions into this chip. The D2Ckey will be updatable, but only when the chip will finally be detected. This means that it will takes some months to come up with a solution after the chipis recognized by the Wii, however the possiblity to update is there. All you have to do is buy the chip, solder it with 31 (!!) wires into your Wii and play.

+ Positive results in gametests
+ From the Wiikey developers
+ No Nintendo safety has detected this chip
+ High availability in webshops
+ Updatable in the future by USB programmer (confirmed by email from D2Ckey-team)

- No USB updater, and no update info will be availible untill neseccery
- Higher price compared to D2B chips
- 31 wires to solder

WiInfectus (http://www.infectus.biz)
The WiInfectus chip is a microcontroller that can be programmed. It can be integrated in every console, the only thing you need is firmware that support the modding of that console. The firmware for modding the D2C Wii is coming december 2007 and needs to be programmed with a special programmer kit.

+ Usable for multiple consoles (360/PS3/Wii)
+ Program own software
+ Updatable software
+ Integrated programmer for updating software

- Not D2C compatible yet, firmware coming this month
- Why would you buy an expensive chip that can mod 5 consoles?
- Relative expensive
- No hugh availibility
- No test results yet

Argon (http://www.infectus.biz)
The Argon comes from the same team as the previous mentioned WiInfectus chip. It can be considered as the light edition of that chip which is specialized for the D2C Wii. You have to buy a programmer kit to program updates for the chip. The chip has only 13 solder point compared to the 31 of D2CKey

+ Updatable software
+ Some sort of WiInfectus-light-edition, specialized for D2C Wii's
+ Same price as the D2Ckey
+ Only 13 wires to solder

- Need to buy JTAG-USB cable/programmer to program it
- No programmer availible untill updates are neseccery
- Only 4000 pieces availible this year
- No test results yet

FOR MORE RECENT UPDATES AND INFORMATION CHECK THE TOPIC!

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the official website for D2CKey does not state that the chip can be upgraded - wouldn't you think that if it was possible that they would mention such a feature? It's a selling point, so why omit it if it can?

Frankdj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, this is an overview of what I found on the i-net... so your comments are very welcome
smile.gif

The last two chips have some overlap (since they are from the same producer), but the main difference is that the normal Infectus chip can be used for all consoles, depending the firmware you upload to the chip. And the Argon chip (also from Infectus) is specialized for the D2C Wii only. This means that it could save money because less components are required, and that updating might be easier.

dread123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the official website for D2CKey does not state that the chip can be upgraded - wouldn't you think that if it was possible that they would mention such a feature? It's a selling point, so why omit it if it can?
you are correct in that they have not mentioned it...but does that mean the option does not exist??

...nope did not think so...time will tell.but all you are doing is speculating with no grounds or proof
smile.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

you are correct in that they have not mentioned it...but does that mean the option does not exist??

...nope did not think so...time will tell.but all you are doing is speculating with no grounds or proof
smile.gif

If it you could upgrade, why would they not mention it? They only hurt their own sales. It's the same team behind the wiikey, and they stated categorically that the Wiikey CAN be updated, where's you logical reasoning for not mentioning the D2CKey can be upgraded?

dread123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

smile.gif

If it you could upgrade, why would they not mention it? They only hurt their own sales. It's the same team behind the wiikey, and they stated categorically that the Wiikey CAN be updated, where's you logical reasoning for not mentioning the D2CKey can be upgraded?
you may need to ask the d2ckey team for that mate, only they can tell you.
What i am trying to say to you, is that -you do not know 100% that the chip cannot be updated!
I have said untill you have proof then you can start giving out THE REAL FACTS thats all!

Now prove me wrong
smile.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

smile.gif

you may need to ask the d2ckey team for that mate, only they can tell you.
What i am trying to say to you, is that -you do not know 100% that the chip cannot be updated!
I have said untill you have proof then you can start giving out THE REAL FACTS thats all!

Now prove me wrong
smile.gif

then by your own logic, you can't prove me wrong, and I can say you're speculating - unless proved otherwise, you cannot update the d2ckey, if it's possible the team woudl mention it, since they haven't you have to assume they can't update it. the feature doesn't exist for it. but hey, prove me wrong and I'll agree with you
wink.gif

dread123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
never once in this thread have i say that you could update or that you couldn't update. i remained neutral. i said get the 100% facts before making judgement!
So until you have hard proof, you are basically talking rubbish(not rubbish but upon theory)..you cannot prove or disprove. my posts in this thread never mentioned that it was possible!

Read post no.3
smile.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
never once in this thread have i say that you could update or that you couldn't update. i remained neutral. i said get the 100% facts before making judgement!
So until you have hard proof, you are basically talking rubbish(not rubbish but upon theory)..you cannot prove or disprove. my posts in this thread never mentioned that it was possible!

Read post no.3
smile.gif

well we can agree to disagree on that point. i still believe from the information that is available that the chip cannot be upgraded, so it's not talking rubbish, but making an educated guess.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chip has pads on the bottom that would allow a programmer to be attached , also the chip it uses can be flashed. So techically it can be upgraded.

The question is , can it been done via dvd? and will there be updates?. Which we won't know till there is need for one.

mister x

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
well we can agree to disagree on that point. i still believe from the information that is available that the chip cannot be upgraded, so it's not talking rubbish, but making an educated guess.

Sorry Sekhu....educated guess is wrong, its a plain ole "guess"....we dont know....and whilst you may "guess" its not updateable, i may "guess"it is....!!Neither of us knows though...were only guessing!1
i came to this post seeking clarity on certain issues regarding D2C chipsets, and whilst I wish you well, your "guessing" aint helping the idea the OP surely had in mind...
smile.gif

You may be right of course.....then again, you may be wrong!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up