CWF is impossible, i know... but what about 3key or Cobra ODE?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Bonny, May 6, 2013.

1. Bonny
    OP

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Hi everyone!

I recently purchased an japanese super slim PS3 with...

Model No. CECH 4000B
    Original Firmware: 4.31

... i know, it's impossible for me to downgrade to any CFW, no matter if i use an USB-Dongle or things like the E3 Flasher. Correct? :unsure:

But what about Optical Drive Emulators like 3Key or Cobra ODW? Will they work with my console?

And if no, is there any other way to run backups of retail disc games on this console?

I really would appreciate any king of advice :bow:.

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    From what I've read, you need your keys but you can't get your keys on 3.56 and up (which is why even 4.x CFWs need you to START on 3.55).

You can't do anything with that PS3 right now.

3. OneUp

OneUp GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2008
    United States
    The 3Key is not super slim compatible currently. The Cobra ODE is advertised as being compatible, but it hasn't been released yet.

4. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Thanks for the info! One last question: Would you recommend me to visit the PSN Store? This would sure require me to update to the latest OFW... is this a risk for my compatiblity to Cobra ODE in the future? I guess so, right?

... or i 4.31 already the latest OFW? :blink:

5. Carnivean

Carnivean STARMAN

Jul 11, 2006
    UK
    Cobra ODE is a completely hardware based solution I believe and so FW version won't matter. Newer models WILL require soldering though according to all the info released.

6. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Uhhh... Soldering... and costs aroung 100 Euros for the Cobra Kit. I doubt it's really worth all that trouble and costs for me, cause i already got an RGH-360. So, just for the few PS3 exclusive titles.... i really doubt it. I guess i risk visiting the PSN Store.

P.S.: Is the soldering difficulte? If it's really simple, i maybe can do it. I definitely won't let a Mod-Shop do the job - they always leave scratches all over the console-case, and the PS3 i'am talking about here is a limited edition. :unsure:

7. remlei

remlei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2013
    ODE is good, but CFW is best since you can do everything, ODE limits you with Games on Bluray, no PSN, DLC, PS1/PS2 (on PSN) and Homebrew stuff.