Custom Firmware for Atgames Legends Flashback with support for Arcade games

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK the Atari does not have an sd card, but the new fb still does. Awaiting confirmation as soon as I get my flashback legends 2019. @rrifonas. It’s been a while. Does the default legends fb firmware have a genesis core that can emulate sms? It’s just been a while since I messed with it

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK the Atari does not have an sd card, but the new fb still does. Awaiting confirmation as soon as I get my flashback legends 2019. @rrifonas. It’s been a while. Does the default legends fb firmware have a genesis core that can emulate sms? It’s just been a while since I messed with it

I thought the only cores added were mame2000 and FBA. From what ive seen of the few sega genesis games built in, the assigned emulator is mame?

The Legends Flashback 2018 has Genesis Plus GX, QuickNES and custom builds of MAME 2003 Plus and FBA included, but only plays Genesis (.bin) and NES (.nes or .dat) games from the SD Card by default.
The CFW enable listing all extensions, and I added MAME 2000 and the full FBA core. With that said, it plays Master System and Game Gear games.

@Draxxon, if you are using the CFW, you don't need to change or rebuild the firmware. Use ImgRePackerRK to get a copy of the rom partition (if you want to keep the original games or see how all-games.ini works on this device), extract it with 7-zip, copy to the SD Card, and include a file mount_sd.ini in the root of the SD Card. This file will force the rom partition to be mounted from the SD Card. Now you can just add the games to all_games.ini exactly like the Genesis Flashback. If you still want to play with the firmware, just change the package-file using the sample I shared. Only the name of the partitions will change.

While the list of games are good, and I would love to have the Alladin rom, my expectations with the Legends 2019 are very low. It seems to be the same device with a SNES and a Colecovision core included. Based on what I've seen from the Atari FB X, it still running with the same clock speeds - 816MHz.

Last edited by rrifonas,
Reactions: WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to see how big the onboard nandflash will be. hopefully they had the decency this year to make it 1gb. lol
Also thanks for the info. much appreciated.

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet in 256MB max. Legends 2018 had a 128MB NAND, and the ROM partition has 60MB with less than 50MB used.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as soon as i acquire one i will hit you up. Ill share whatever info i gather from it. Challenge will be getting one first. I only see last years models in stores.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious about how close the Flashback Legends and the Atari Flashback 9 Boom hardware are, if at all. The Boom is the system currently being sold in Wal-Mart, and it has an SD card slot that you can use to upgrade the firmware. There's an update that lets you play games from the SD card slot, but only 2600 games. Can this be expanded upon? The Boom is clearly running on some cut down version of Android but its capabilities aren't fully known.

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a thread in AtariAge with a custom firmware for the Atari Flashback 9 Boom and Gold. It allows you to copy the contents to the SD Card and change artwork.
The device has the same hardware and run the same OS as the Legends Flashback 2018 and Genesis Flashback HD 2018 (Linux).

The menu is hardcoded like the Genesis 2018 so you have just one core and the retroplayer is hardcoded to map only 1 button.

Reactions: ArugulaZ

lelton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi All, how do I get Defender working ? I have a few different rom versions and they all get stuck on a diagnostic screen that says "Press Advance to Step Through Test" . I have hit Down and Start at the same time to insert a coin, and hit every key combination I can think of... but don't seem to be able to advance past the diagnostic screen. Any ideas ?

I have a similar problem with Joust. It just gets stuck on a diagnostic screen of "Factory Settings Restored". I am using rom set versions MAME 0.37b5

Last edited by lelton,

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All, how do I get Defender working ? I have a few different rom versions and they all get stuck on a diagnostic screen that says "Press Advance to Step Through Test" . I have hit Down and Start at the same time to insert a coin, and hit every key combination I can think of... but don't seem to be able to advance past the diagnostic screen. Any ideas ?

I have a similar problem with Joust. It just gets stuck on a diagnostic screen of "Factory Settings Restored". I am using rom set versions MAME 0.37b5
Have you tried using the update on the bottom of the initial topic?
It's been a while since I tested these games, but I'm quite sure that the last update I created supported them...

lelton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried using the update on the bottom of the initial topic?
It's been a while since I tested these games, but I'm quite sure that the last update I created supported them...

Hi Rrifonas, absolutely I used the lastest firmware named "arcade_update_v2.6_fba_mame_v2.zip" :) . The roms work, at least I can get in and exit out of the roms, I just can't get past the diagnostic screens. Roms I am having difficulties with are Defender, Joust and Joust 2. Hum... BTW, I have no CHD files. Many other roms work perfectly.

UPDATE:
I reflashed the Legends Flashback with the latest firmware again "arcade_update_v2.6_fba_mame_v2.zip", to see if I had done something wrong with the firmware. Same problem, can't get past the diagnostic screens in Defender, Joust and Joust 2. I am going to proceed to replace my roms from a different source.

UPDATE 2:
I have replaced the problematic roms from a different source and all is working fine now :) Defender, Joust and Joust 2 all working!

Last edited by lelton,

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any difference in these two versions from 2018?

Attachments

• 74667374_466874267518275_2685726505698328576_n.jpg
    74667374_466874267518275_2685726505698328576_n.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 222

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder, has anyone dumped any of the most recent AtGames mini console releases and taken a look at the version of Fix-it Felix Jr. they now seem to include?

Last edited by CeeDee,

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Rrifonas, absolutely I used the lastest firmware named "arcade_update_v2.6_fba_mame_v2.zip" :) . The roms work, at least I can get in and exit out of the roms, I just can't get past the diagnostic screens. Roms I am having difficulties with are Defender, Joust and Joust 2. Hum... BTW, I have no CHD files. Many other roms work perfectly.

UPDATE:
I reflashed the Legends Flashback with the latest firmware again "arcade_update_v2.6_fba_mame_v2.zip", to see if I had done something wrong with the firmware. Same problem, can't get past the diagnostic screens in Defender, Joust and Joust 2. I am going to proceed to replace my roms from a different source.

UPDATE 2:
I have replaced the problematic roms from a different source and all is working fine now :) Defender, Joust and Joust 2 all working!

I will check later (not today) but I know this happens because the core cannot create the .cfg and .nv file in a writable partition. Try creating a folder called "mame2000" under "GAME" and see if that will help.

Is there any difference in these two versions from 2018?
The one in the left seem to be an European version. Nobody knows if there are differences, but I assume they are the same device. I've seen a picture of it on this site, and it supposedly has Mortal Kombat, but nobody has the device the tell us.

I wonder, has anyone dumped any of the most recent AtGames mini console releases and taken a look at the version of Fix-it Felix Jr. they now seem to include?
It's a 'libretro core' based on a PC version from "Code Mystics".

Last edited by rrifonas,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay