Custom Cooling Solution: Will Keep Your Switch From Bending or Cracking!

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by comput3rus3r, Jul 12, 2018.

?
  1. No. Let it burn baby!

2. I will now. Thanks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. comput3rus3r
    OP

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    20180712_102546. Ever since the news of switches bending last year and now with the cracks I've always been concerned with overheating. This works perfectly for me as the switch barely gets warm even after hours of playing. Anybody done something similar? Post your cooling solution.

Last edited by comput3rus3r, Oct 29, 2018
    Spadezilla, NoNAND and CoolerSugar955 like this.
  2. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I really don't think these cracks and damages are caused by overheating, or heating of the plastic. This is probably something they would have seen in their QA's. Also, how do you know this works perfectly for you? Absence of cracks does not equate to proof of a solution.

TheVinAnator and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  3. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I say works perfectly because no matter how long I play it, it keeps it cool. When I didn't have the fan it would get considerably warm.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, something's has got to be causing the warping or bending. there's plenty of proof for that and if not heat then what?

Spadezilla likes this.
  4. Deathscreton

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Because Switches sometimes come out of the box pre-bent, in which proves that there's no proof for this. So unless Ninty is heating them before they leave the factory (which I guess isn't impossible, but again, QA should have figured this out), it's not caused by heating, or at least in the majority of cases.

5. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    just means they could have bent during testing. The bend is very slight on the majority so it's mostly unnoticeable.

6. Deathscreton

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Then how do you tell the difference between something that was bent during testing and something that was bent due to heating?

7. zaku

zaku GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2018
    Uganda
    My switch came out of the box bent but I can only see it with a ruler. I suspect a lot of units are like this but most people don't measure it with a ruler.

It's probably caused by residue stress. Some of them suffered from uneven cooling during manufacturing.

First gen Nintendo hardware almost always sucks. Just look at DS/3DS and their improved versions.

I wouldn't even buy a first gen switch if not for piracy.

I think the best dock solution right now is those cheap DIY docks from ebay. Easy to assemble and cool. Also no potential risk unlike the extension cord some people use.

Last edited by zaku, Jul 12, 2018
    leafeon34 and Deathscreton like this.
  8. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Just took mine out of the dock and put it on my desk without the joycons. Still flat as the day I got it. I'm guessing most bending/warping happens within a short period of time after manufacture, or it doesn't happen at all.

9. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    the front screen on switch is only half glued iirc.
    some ppl did experience the warping front screen with extensive docked play session.
    the fan should help in some way i guess.

Spadezilla and comput3rus3r like this.
  10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    *puts on tinfoil hat* Perhaps people with bent Switch units live near a volcano and let the console sit too close to the lava

11. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    my family play it for hours now and it barely gets warm.

12. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    i have heard some ppl plug a usb-powered mini fan beside switch.:lol:

Spadezilla likes this.
  13. xYuunax

xYuunax You Stupid

Feb 6, 2018
    China
    Hong Kong
    I bought a usb c extender cable to keep my switch outside the dock.

Also doesn't heat up as much as it would, if it were inside the dock.

Switch is slightly bent, not sure if it was like that or bent over time.. but barely noticeable

[​IMG]

14. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    bent console itself or just front panel curled up?

15. xYuunax

xYuunax You Stupid

Feb 6, 2018
    China
    Hong Kong
    If i place the switch on a flat surface, its a little uneven.. also the front screen panel is slightly lifting up at the bottom right.

But my tempered glass protector is keeping it straight.

16. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Best solution to avoid letting your chinese plastic crack is to properly re-apply the shitty factory thermal paste. The stock paste looks like someone sneezed on the heatsink and figured it would be enough to keep these devices from melting.

Spadezilla, Nima0003 and Ericjwg like this.
  17. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    thermal grizzly ftw.

they said right side panel is poorly glued.:(

Spadezilla and Huntereb like this.
  18. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I wasn't even aware that you could do this. I like this idea.

Spadezilla likes this.
  19. SoCALCat

SoCALCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    This is my Switch cooling solution. Replaced the original Switch Dock with a small DIY Dock and my ceiling fan. And if it gets to hot in the room! I just turn off the ceiling fan and turn on the AC. So far so good... Lol

The DIY dock also protects my Switch screen from getting scratched because the original dock will scratch your screen 20180712_134124. 20180712_134245.

PS
    If intrasted. This is the one I'm using
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073S4XB1F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The best part about it is that you could use a Protective Clear Cover Case on the Switch that fits the DIY Dock. It fits perfectly. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CL3F2DJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by SoCALCat, Jul 12, 2018
    Spadezilla, Ericjwg and comput3rus3r like this.
  20. SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

GBAtemp Patron
    SuzieJoeBob is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    I am using the following replacement housing for the Switch dock and my Switch has been barely heating up ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Replacement-Nintendo-Switch-Incision/dp/B072KRMKX3

The rubber pads that it comes with are horrible and it is a very snug fit, so I used some spare rubber pads had lying around and have no other issues with it. If you unplug the AC adapter, it also makes for a good portable stand.

Spadezilla likes this.
  21. xYuunax

xYuunax You Stupid

Feb 6, 2018
    China
    Hong Kong
    yep, not only does it keep it cooler, no more worries of the dock scratching the screen.