Custom Cooling Solution: Will Keep Your Switch From Bending or Cracking!

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by comput3rus3r, Jul 12, 2018.

?
  1. No. Let it burn baby!

2. I will now. Thanks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. comput3rus3r
    OP

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I'm sweating just looking at the picture. You have your pc fans cooking your switch on that glass desk lol. I hope you don't turn everything on at the same time. :P

2. SoCALCat

SoCALCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    Lol. No! Luckily I'm able to adjust the fan speed on all of my PC Fans. To be honest with you. The upper fans are barely spinning since I'm running a total of 11 fans not including the fan for the Power Supply. Dang thing never runs hot. Lol

3. RAGER

RAGER GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Russia
    When my warranty run out, I will update the thermal paste inside.

4. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Well not every ppl have the same experience with them...

Some actually report that their switches are a lot hot on the dock.

The bending is totally from heat because what else would completely bend it...

And there's actually a lot of reports that their switch came straight and after some time they have a lot of bending and some the screen even start to come out. By touching my Switch I can totally see that it's chassis would never bend if not for heat it self, it's not really rubber plastic to normally bend too much.

It was posted on this forum for a long time, there's lots of YouTube videos about it too and so on all over the internet...

Edit: after atmosphere comes out, I will heavily mod mine.

If anyone know somebody doing a cheap full copper CNC machined backplate plz send me a PM... Later I will try contacting a guy from other forum who made me a cheap custom CNC cooler for my small 11.6 inch laptop, but I don't think he will be willing to make something 4 the switch ;).

Last edited by guily6669, Jul 13, 2018
  5. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    judging by the votes, most people won't have a hackable switch in a year. lol

6. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    factory semi consistently screwing the screw in that corner super tight

7. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    if your switch bends, just put it in the dock backwards, so it'll bend back teh other way! :grog:

Qulox likes this.
  8. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    lol. at first i had not idea what you were talking about until i read what you replied to.

McWhiters9511 likes this.
  9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    My cold, lifeless heart is the only form of cooling I need for my Switch

Huntereb likes this.
  10. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Judging how flat the switch gets attached with both front and back, that only explains the slight factory bend, but would just that be enough to over some time on the dock causing extreme bending to the point the screen even comes out?

I still think heat is the main problem as it changes plastic properties after prolonged exposure.

Same as my desk light with plastic cover where it's all bent all over the place and even cracking as it's years of heat from the light, it has nothing to do with melting as off course the heat is not nearly enough, but heat for long times still can screw some types of plastics (bad ones mostly).

McWhiters9511 and comput3rus3r like this.
  11. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    An external fan? And... and ya blow it at it? You genius! :P
    In all seriousness, this guy knows what's up
    The original dock may have been a great design concept in theory, but an absolute travesty in execution and shouldn't be used at all for a number of reasons including heat dispersion. Nintendo knew it as well with a new dock patent weeks after launch.

12. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    lol but it works. It literally stays cool even after hours of use.

13. canelodirecto

canelodirecto Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2018
    United States

14. hipmp5

hipmp5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    Well thanks for the info, i will replace it after warranty period.

15. jrobertdobson

jrobertdobson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2017
    United States
    I don't get it. Is QC on these that bad? I have constantly played mine handheld from 100% to shutoff, and docked for 8+hours easy several times, and it's barely warm. BOTW, Oddesy, fortnite, La Noir...

Mine was bought 3rd qt last year.

I have gotten it hot a couple times by setting it down on covers, blocking all venting, while it was paused a couple times, but even then it wasn't that hot, I'd still say warm.

Last edited by jrobertdobson, Jul 13, 2018
  16. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    maybe some have bad thermal paste inside... Usually with those type of things is a matter of luck.

I never tried the dock on mine, but portable I played for a few hours on Zelda even in the forest and didn't find mine to be too much hot or noisy, but for example my friends Switch was super hot on the dock, very loud and it actually got screwed in like 2 days, the console started doing a high pitch loud noise from the speakers docked and portable, he ended up returning it.

Max temps I got portable on the rear cooling fins was like 43Cº if I remember well (measured with a crap laser thermometer), maybe the SOC could be at around 60Cº inside, no idea...

I havent still turned on my Switch for a few months, now the air is hotter, don't know what temps could give now...

Last edited by guily6669, Jul 13, 2018
    comput3rus3r likes this.
  17. SterneSchreien

SterneSchreien Naughty One

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    lo0
    I just use one of those USB-C to HDMI "dock" adapters... Console does not heat up at all.

18. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    yea well a lot also depends on how hot or cold you keep your house temperature.

19. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    I've ordered this off AliExpress. It'll hopefully reach me within this week. Can you tell me for how long have you been using this and I sure hope it's safe, etc.

Those people who have been bricking their Switches have been using third party docks. This solution is simply an extender cable plugged into the official dock. Am thinking this is safe and keeps your Switch much cooler. Am thinking of using this setup with an official Hori stand I ordered. Will post a pic when I get it.

What are your thoughts about this dock extender cable?

20. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I think my solution is better as it cools the dock, the switch and the HDD connected to it. Also the fan is less than 10 dollars and you can buy it at a local store.

ravihpa likes this.