Custom Cooling Solution: Will Keep Your Switch From Bending or Cracking!

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by comput3rus3r, Jul 12, 2018.

?
  1. No. Let it burn baby!

2. I will now. Thanks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I bought a dock shell off ebay, and it helped prevent the bending and scratches... but the vents cracked anyway. Seemingly for no reason, as it never left the dock before or after the vent cracks appeared.

2. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    Anyone watercool their Switch? Oil submersion?

3. Spadezilla

Spadezilla GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    United States

how does this cooling solution work? the smurf cools it down because it kills all sexual energy inside house?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

anyone recommnd a good, quiet usb fan?

comput3rus3r likes this.
  4. LyuboA

LyuboA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2018
    Bulgaria
    yep Switch really does bend from heat cause of the BADLY designed dock friend of my does repairs and he did tests his Switch started bending after only a week in the dock with not that much of playing time but now there are small dock cases foe the original dock board attach to that 1200rpm PC Fan and you are good

5. zaku

zaku GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2018
    Uganda
    Nintendo cheaped out and didn't put any metal or plastic mid-frame in the switch. The backplate is directly attached to the sides. So if it bends under heat the sides will bend too. You know how hot switch can get. It's like using a heat gun on an piece of ABS plastic. When the plastic is heated a tiny amount of external force will cause it to bend. If there is a midframe attached to the sides then we wouldn't have this problem. Do whatever you want to minimize the risk but it will bend eventually.

6. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Damn... screen scratches, faulty sticks, now bending. Nin thinks it's okay to sell something this untested?

7. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I dunno about cracks, but my switch is bent a bit, can't really tell during use, I've read about this a lot because I used to think about exchanging it, and it seems that the metal body only lets it bend a bit, then it will stop.

8. LyuboA

LyuboA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2018
    Bulgaria
    i've seen dead units cause of very big bend and they usually bend right where the tegra chip is and the chip dies

and yes Nintendo really pushed Switch with lots of issues i've never seen console with that many problems and seen how many units just die for now reason cause of Bad power or video chip is mind blowing atleast 70% of dead units are cause of these two chips if they are not dropped or something + it appears that even Nintendo official dock cause most issue scratches overheating and frying those two chips

thats why i went and got 2 units and now looking for a 3th one its good to have backups with such a problematic piece of tech

Last edited by LyuboA, Sep 9, 2019
  9. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Such a shame that those first revisions may remain only hackable units for good. I guess we better watch out for what we have.

10. LyuboA

LyuboA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2018
    Bulgaria
    i'm sure they will hack the pached units too but i think they are waiting for the Pro to come out next year so they can work on Marico revision which is what pro is moslty likely going to use too but yes we should take care of our unpached units theres still sold with new stock unpached units but its a luck to get one you can get two with the same serial and one to be pached and the other not Nintendo seems to be cleaning old unpached boards with the new pached for little confusion