Cucumber (P)risis in Japan

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by alexander1970, Jul 17, 2019.

1. alexander1970
    OP

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    In Japan, the prices of cucumbers and other vegetables have skyrocketed in recent weeks: up to 70 percent of vegetables have become more expensive. Cause is for the season completely unusual little sunshine.

In many parts of Japan, it has been unusually cloudy and cool for weeks. According to the daily newspaper "Japan Times", there were a maximum of three hours of sunshine a day in Tokyo for 20 days. This is the least amount of sun exposure since 1961, Japan's meteorological institute measures this value.

https://twitter.com/japantimes/status/1151162100699607042?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

qdOfXh9o.

Cucumber prices rose according to the report by 70 percent, other vegetables also saw price increases in the high double-digit percentage range.

However, not all vegetables are affected. Onion, white radish and carrots were even cheaper. They come mostly from the island of Hokkaido - and there was above average sunshine.

Ryccardo likes this.
  2. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    so what ?

Same happens pretty much everywhere from time to time ...

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Weather Affects Crops, news at 11.

NoNAND, CallmeBerto and alexander1970 like this.
  4. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Aren't the prices for fruit and vegetables normally pretty high already in Japan?

5. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    depends where you are ... in Tokyo they are incredibly high most of the time but if you go out of the big city Prices can be rather normal.
    on Okinawa you can get Pineapple and Mango rather Cheap as they are growing there and in Hokkaido you can get potatoes and whatever rather cheap.

In Tokyo they have to pay a very high ammount of rent for the stores so they need to price everything higher then usual.

6. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Hahaha.. No biggie deal. My family grow their own farm -- a organic.. priceless and we have plentiful of vegetable included this one.. Make your own farm then!!!! Its fun, safe, and priceless! Save a lot of money.

7. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    I would if i had the space, I already grow whatever I feel like growing per season with what space I have for it. Sadly not that much

8. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I understand. Maybe you can buy few larger plastic box and put soil in them and grow whatever you want with your favourite fruits or vegetable. :)

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What Veho said.

Is anybody likely to starve or get scurvy as a result of this? Does this mean the cucumber festival will not go ahead as planned?

NoNAND, Chary, CallmeBerto and 3 others like this.
  10. alexander1970
    OP

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    It means RICE and CYCLES in CHINA will be cheaper maybe.:)

11. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Some people might be sadder than usual without their dose of cucumber in the orifice.

12. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Depends on the type of vegetable. Some are not so expensive.

13. smile72

smile72 NewsBot

Sep 23, 2010
    ???
    Exactly some are quite cheap. And overall living in Tokyo is cheaper than many rural areas.

14. alexander1970
    OP

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    It is nice to see and read of we get a little "insight" on Japans Vegetable market.:yay:

I wonder why nobody mentioned that the cucumbers are wrapped in PLASTIC on that picture in the first post...:)
    Is that usual in Japan ?

Thank you.:)

15. smile72

smile72 NewsBot

Sep 23, 2010
    ???
    It's not. They normally only wrap if its in multiples such as the pic above shows. But it is actually terrible for the vegetable . I bought broccoli (expensive here) once from a supermarket and I left it in the wrapping for just an hour after I got home. And it was rotten.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Is it not usual elsewhere? I don't think I have seen a cucumber on a market stall in a while (guess they don't last as long out in the day for however long compared to other fruits and vegetables) but that would be about the only place I would expect to see a cucumber not wrapped in a film of plastic these days.

Are they all such hippies around you or something?

17. alexander1970
    OP

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    On our Markets - no Plastic ! Is no good for vegetable.:rofl2:
    Sadly in the Stores this is still common practice.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I get unwrapping your mushrooms to prevent them from getting sweaty, and I am not sure what goes for bananas (some I see in bags, usually the fancy organic nonsense, and some with holes in, most of the time they are loose) but don't think I have seen it impact other fruits and vegetables.

Pretty much the only objection I see is from the plastic waste set.

19. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Here it depends on the variety. English cucumbers (that long thin sort) are individually shrink-wrapped, presumably to prevent them from imploding or something, while the "ordinary" sorts are just piled up in the nude.

Depends on the vegetable, some can do fine without wrapping, but some tend to bruise in transport and storage. It's fine if the granny selling her produce who brings her apples wrapped in straw to the market fresh daily, but when you have to transport it across half the continent by the truckfull you need to protect it. Bruised fruit doesn't store well and results in more waste than wrapping it from the get-go. Shorter shelf life results in more wasted food, and more frequent deliveries which also negatively affect the environment. "Plastics bad" is a simplistic view.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...a-cucumber-really-mindless-waste-8340812.html

20. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    how perきゅうりar.