Japan braces for potential nuclear catastrophe

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hop2089, Mar 15, 2011.

Mar 15, 2011
  1. Hop2089
    OP

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Source

The nuclear crisis in Japan is officially worse than Chernobyl, I hope Japan can recover after this especially with radiation hitting Tokyo.

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    "The earthquake could have great implications on the global economic front," said Andre Bakhos, director of market analytics at Lec Securities in New York. "If you shut down Japan, there could be a global recession."

A lot of economists disagree. Most think the economic effects will be pretty much isolated to Japan itself, and they are also seriously expecting industrial output to be back to normal within 1 to 2 months. Still not great news but please don't worry too much about further global financial problems when/if you are trying to work out if and how you can help out at all.

3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Of course they are going to bounce back. They've done it before, and quickly became, pretty much, one of the strongest countries in the world. They just have to keep their hopes up and their spirit's strong.

But that being said, this is horrible. Countries around the world should be sending help to help the people that are affected. Get them to a safe place and look after them. While yes, they are cleaning and rebuilding, put that to the side and get the civilians the fuck out of there.

Staying inside is good, but that's not the best idea. They'd have to basically cut themselves off from air by sealing up every possible crack and everything.

Like I said before, even if countries hate each other, put the differences to the side, and help out your fellow man.

4. TwinBlades

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Hope they all fleed safely. Also hope that gozilla wont strike them from all that radiation poured into the sea

5. princefarzan

Member princefarzan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I don't think its possible to be 'worst' then chernobyl because chernobyl is classifed as a class 7 in International Nuclear Event Scale, which is the highest for any nuclear disaster so in worst case scenario it would be another chernobyl.

6. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    No. No, it's not.

It's actually almost impossible for it to reach that level. Read up, and don't panic.

The people in the most danger right now are the staff working at the reactor. They are true heroes right now.

7. rad140

Member rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    Read your own article. It says that it is nowhere near the level of what Chernobyl was.

Still, it's pretty terrible what's happening over there.

8. Hop2089
    OP

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Such dedication, when this is over all 50 of them should receive a medal.

9. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Actually that's not true. At the Fukishima facility, tests on people in the area are reporting people have absorbed 400 mSv, which is 50 more then the Chernobyl residents who were relocated after the disaster. mSv is the nuclear exposure measurement millisieverts. If the exposure gets any higher, people are going to be sick within hours of being exposed any more to it and their hair is going to start falling out within a couple of weeks when they hit 750 mSv. If exposure ratings get anywhere above 1,000 mSv, there is going to be even more danger because then it becomes a life or death situation and people are going to become highly radioactive themselves. The Chernobyl workers who died within a month of the disaster had an mSv of 6,000, 5,000 will kill half of those exposed to a single dose within a month as well. So basically, if it gets much worse, people are going to be in a lot of trouble. If the workers inside the reactor have any higher reported levels, then yes we know that they will be dead shortly after and those that survive will suffer the same way the residents of Chernobyl did. Half the country will have toxic land for the next 50 years, there are still reasonably high radiation levels in the ground in the Chernobyl and it's been 25 years.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/03/15/gr...naway-reactors/

10. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Yeah right, after all of this over (assuming they succeed which I pray they do), they shouldn't have to work or pay taxes for life.

11. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    You know, the best part of a tornado is the eye, I'd rather be there too if I was in Japan at the moment.

Nuclear fallout is one of the worst imaginable disasters that can come about because of man. The worst has to be a gigantic oil spill.

12. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    lucky for them they don't live in the usa where they wouldn't even get health benefits like the 9/11 respondents.

13. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    That really depends, on things like wind direction and just how much irradiated material (and how badly irradiated) escapes and how far it spreads. Worse case scenario I guess would be a fuck load of caesium-137 going up into the air with a westerly wind blowing the whole lot over mainland Asia and onto Europe. A big enough explosion and it ends up in the upper atmosphere and gets the whole world. Much worse than an oil slick, but much, much, much less likely to actually happen.

14. drake7707

Newcomer drake7707 Member

Belgium
    Saying how much sievert you are exposed to without a time frame how long the exposure was means nothing. You get about 1 sievert/year from natural causes (cosmic radiation, ...) yet noone is getting sick from it.

15. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Did you bother to READ what was written before you made shit up?

16. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I agree that it's probably going to be bad, but not as bad as Chernobyl.

17. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    +1 to that .
    China is helping out a bit , if i heard it right from the news . although they have rivalry , China has learned to put it aside to help them out .

18. Liezah

Newcomer Liezah Member

United States
    There's a lot of ships heading out to help them.. So I think that'll help (hopefully) and hopefully the death toll ends.. it's saddening to hear these types of news. ;_ ; Either way.. People are already in panic and leaving Japan.. I sincerely hope things don't get any worse.

19. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Let´s just help them the best we can.

20. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    agreed, its not about governments, its about helping the people and their lives.