ROM Hack Cross-Platform NDS ROM Extractor (Not an April Fools Day Prank ;))

evandixon

PMD Researcher
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
(Definitely not an April Fools Day prank.)

This experimental console application can extract files from NDS ROMs. The best part is that it's made with .Net Core and is by extension cross-platform (without needing any frameworks to be installed). It currently cannot rebuild NDS ROMs, but ndstool should be able to accept the files this tool creates.

Usage (Windows):

ToolkitConsoleCore.exe <ROM> <OutputDirectory>

Usage (Linux):

ToolkitConsoleCore <ROM> <OutputDirectory>

Since I don't have a Mac, I can't say what the OSX usage is.

If anyone wants builds for other OS's, I can theoretically provide them if your OS is listed here.

Download

Reactions: CatmanFan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, a Linux compatible standalone ROM extractor would be useful to me.

That said 100 megs total, many 5-20 megs a piece... bit large to be tossing around with zip packages for extraction. Is there any way to compile with the specific elements of the framework needed to get that down at all?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, a Linux compatible standalone ROM extractor would be useful to me.

That said 100 megs total, many 5-20 megs a piece... bit large to be tossing around with zip packages for extraction. Is there any way to compile with the specific elements of the framework needed to get that down at all?
That's 100 MB total for 8 different platform-specific builds. None of them are larger than 20MB.

The majority of the size of each build is from the core stuff. Trimming out extra libraries (which might be possible, but could lead to trouble in the future) wouldn't save that much space.

Last edited by evandixon,

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
(Definitely not an April Fools Day prank.)

This experimental console application can extract files from NDS ROMs. The best part is that it's made with .Net Core and is by extension cross-platform (without needing any frameworks to be installed). It currently cannot rebuild NDS ROMs, but ndstool should be able to accept the files this tool creates.

Usage (Windows):

ToolkitConsoleCore.exe <ROM> <OutputDirectory>

Usage (Linux):

ToolkitConsoleCore <ROM> <OutputDirectory>

Since I don't have a Mac, I can't say what the OSX usage is.

If anyone wants builds for other OS's, I can theoretically provide them if your OS is listed here.

Download

So this is slightly similar to Tinke, but not limited to one platform ?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
So this is slightly similar to Tinke, but not limited to one platform ?
Tinke edits a variety of files. This tool only extracts them. It's comparable to ndstool, except it doesn't have repacking (at least not yet) and it runs on multiple OS's without needing anything installed. The implementation of this in .Net 3DS Toolkit, which this is based on, ran faster than ndstool, but this implementation is a little different, and I haven't re-timed it.

Reactions: Silverthorn

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Oh nice, this would be a simple way to extract them. ndstool isn't that easy to use.

The Unarchiver, which I use for extracting archives on Mac actually has support for extracting DS ROMs though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)